I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira Myth Source
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 08:39AM

Unfortuantely, all the myths about Madeira have been started by me. Here's a list of them, in chronological order.

2002 - Not strong enough for guide wraps. Myth began when I wrapped a guide with Gudebrod Nylon A, and wrapped another guide with Madeira Polyneon 40wt, took a piece of 60# Mono and ripped each guide out. Gudebrod was so strong the guide bent before pulling out. Madeira, the threads broke. Myth was broken in 2004 when Mark Crouse hung a 200# box of Laundry detergent off the tip of a fly rod.

2004 - Madeira Mettalics cannot be coated with epoxy. Myth was actually started by Al Goldberg, who used 2 coats of CP then epoxy. I tried "everything" to skip those 2 coats of CP, because I don't like CP over darker metallics because I found it clouded up. Went so far as to sell all my MAdeira Metallics to Larry Tysenger. Myth broken in 2005 by Putter when he kept saying he had no problems, and frustrated me to no end, lol!!

2005A - You must use CP with Madeira Polyneon or the finish will not adhere. I built 3 rods with metallic Silver underwraps and Polyneon over, expecting teh same results as when I used Nylon - the mettallics add depth to the overwrap while keeping the thread the same color as on the spool. WEll, teh colors I choose didn't bleed through, the got DARKER. Which didn't match teh thread which had CP on it in teh butt wrap, so my color coordination went to teh crapper. Myth never broken, I've yet to find a Polyneon thread which is exactly teh same with CP and wrapped over Silver with no CP

2005B - MAdeira Polyneon fisheyes with no CP, so you have to use CP. Continuation of the last one. Myth broken last month when Jim Rippe did a Tartan with no adhesion issues. I know others haven't had these issues either, but I think Jim's brought it out to teh forefront and I'm giving him credit.

2006 - you cannot use MAdeira for a Tartan. I still cannot believe this one. Myth started with the Pink & Purple Spider wrapped test stick I had down in Charlotte at the NERBs booth. When I got home, I applied Permagloss to one area, and regular epoxy to teh other. Nothing bled, all teh color got darker. Spoke to Mike McGiveney to tell him don't use MAdeira for a Tartan, big waste of time. Myth broken by Jim Rippe....I still dont' believe it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira Myth Source
Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 09:43AM

Let's see...."Myth Busters"....nah, that's already taken. "Billy's Follies"...that's got a nice ring. Me thinks you worry to much Billy!!!!! I'm going to go to work on the 2005A and really give ya a headache!

Date: July 12, 2006 10:02AM

I'm not worried. I know what results I get when I do things my way. Although seeing the picture in teh forum is about the last straw because I'm definately off base. I don't understand why when I wrap over Silver, the thred darkens instead os staying the same, and when seemingly "Everyone else" does a Tartan, the thread reacts normally. I might have to make a guest appearance in my shop, lol it's been a while since I'been down there.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 11:18AM

2007 - Billy Vivona signed as Madeira thread spokesmodel...????

Date: July 12, 2006 11:23AM

Definately a myth, but I should get some sort of back-royalties for all the free advertising they got from me.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 12:18PM

I can hear them now..."Who's this guy says we have fish eyes???"

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 04:10PM

Suppose its not as bad as the myth of the spine. Was that you too?? lol.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 08:29PM

2004- ...and then Putter got a spool of thread with something on it... or used too much heat... or...

Anyhow, it wasn't long after Billy and I visited about that when I first had problems with a fish eye with a different spool of this thread. I still got it the finish to level but it was a lot of time waiting for the epoxy to start to set up for me. I'm going to try it without adding heat and see if that one spool that I remember having troubles with before will not do it when not using heat. That'll be interesting. But all that after a few months of fishing first!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster