I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what size guides do you use?
Posted by: Tyson Oakes (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 03:39PM

on a 7'6" flippin stick, what size of guides do you recommend??? I want to use fuji guides but i am not sure how many and what sizes...I was thinking 10,8,8,6,6,6,6,5 then the tip top

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what size guides do you use?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 11, 2006 04:44PM

I use 12,10, and the rest are 6's

Tom

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:14PM

I use 12/10/ and the rest 8's...the reason I use 8's is becasue the tip top size of a flippin stick is so large, this way my tip top matches my last guides in ring size.

DR

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.40.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 10:44AM

I would use 12, 18, two 8's and the rest 7

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 10:45AM

You can also get varying ring sizes on tips, so finding a smaller ring size will then allow you to have smaller guides feed into it and still match it. When you do this you save on weight out by the tip which if not done is compounded by the moment or distance away. The only reason you may need a larger ring size is to accomodate any knots that may need to pass through them. Flippin sticks can be rated for 20-30# mono and if by chance you tie on a flour leader, this can make a pretty big knot to try and pass through a size 6 guide ring and tip top (which is what I would recommend sz.6) The alconite tips are offered in that size ring and that tip is much lighter compared to other tips of the same ring size. Alconites claim a 15% weight savings but I find this is only true for some of its guide stlyes, but it is true for their CFAT & BFAT tips. 10 or 12's is a common guide ring size to start out with and I would recommend you try an acid, revolver, or spiral type guide placement on your flipping stick, I converted my production flipping rod to a sprial wrap and like it much better. The only thing to note is what side of the boat you store your flipping stick on the deck top when determining which way to wrap the guides around your rod, holding the rod in my hand I wrap my guides to the left, so I stow the rod on the right front deck of my boat (as seated in the boat with the rods stowed falt on deck reels to tip oriented back to front aft to bow on the boat) so the spiral wraps are not placed down on the deck but facing skyward as they wrap around the blank. Now if you commonly stow your flippin rod on the left front deck of your bass boat, I'd wrap the spiral guiding to the right as they 1/2 circle the blank. If you stow your rods on deck so the reels are oriented towards the bow the and the tips toward the stern then reverse either the side you stow them on or the direction you wrap the guides. The key is that the rod be stowed such that the wrapping spiralling guides are facing up, rather thans down when stowed on deck then the rod will lay flat.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 11:50AM

On my pitching/flipping stick, I use 30 lb. braid exclusively, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. I used 10, 8, 7, then 6s to the tip. All my guides were single foot fly guides, with the sz. 8 being the "bumper" guide, and the 7 being the first 180 degree guide. I had to use a sz. 7 tip-top, as I had trouble finding the size I needed in a 6. I know that many folks will tell you that you HAVE to use double foot guides for the butt guide, bumper guide, etc., but I never saw the need, and my rod's still fine, even after quite a bit of hard use. But, I dont' fish out of a typical bass boat, with rods laying all over the deck, begging to be stepped on. So, if you do occasionally step on a rod, or have fishing buddies that do, you might opt for the double-foots on the first couple guides.

On my rod, I used the Fuji Titanium/SIC guides (TLSG). The comparable Gunsmoke/SIC guide would be an LSG, while the comparable Alconite would be either a BLAG or a CLAG (depending on the finish you wanted).

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.40.---)
Date: July 12, 2006 12:25PM

I meant 10 not 18 LOL Sorry about that

David Banaka

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster