I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shad Rap trolling blanks - any suggestions?
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:28AM

Hi. I'm looking to build a couple of trolling rods for size 4, 5 and sometimes 7 Shad Raps. I want the blanks 8 to 10 feet long, medium action. Any suggestions for blanks? Thanks for your time and experience.

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shad Rap trolling blanks - any suggestions?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:47AM

For 8' Trolling Blanks for Rapala SHAD RAPS (Size 4, up to Size 7):
Batson RainShadow RS-RX7 "IP-96-x" Series
Moderate-Fast Taper-Action for all these IP-96-x Series
In-Shore Popping Rods, for 8-footers. [FS4U] -Cliff Hall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 09:53AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:58AM

It would be nice if this rod could do double-duty as a bottom-bouncer rod for trolling walleye spinner rigs close to shallow (6-12') weedlines too!

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 10:05AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 02:13PM

Hey Kevin,
I have built a BUNCH of crankbait trolling rods on the St. Croix blank (8 foot, medium power, telescoping, don't emember the model number, look on the webite in the SCII or SCWII area). They are used primarily for pulling planer boards with cranks attached for the walley pros. Most of the pros want a pair of 10 foot, then pair of 9 foot, then a pair of 8 footers to help cut down on line tangles when running 6 rods off the back of the boat using boards. They can be used without boards also.

I just extend the grips/butt section whenever I need to make it longer than the factory blank length of 8 feet long. The telescoping of the blank is a big help when storing the rods in/on the boat.

Not that you asked but I use Fuji Hardloy double foot guides with a spiral wrap configuration. HARD, EVA foam grips.

Good luck and catch a bunch,

Buzz

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 02:15PM

Oh yeah, one more point to make. With these blank you can see the vibration that the crankbait makes while watching the tip section of the blank.
When the tip top on the rod is not showing a visable vibration, then the crank bait is fouled with seaweed. Very helpful thing to have and not all blanks do this.

Buzz

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 08:20PM

Any of the hotshot blanks would do the trick to - we use them for flatline trolling on Mille Lacs with Rouges and Super Rouges. They are designed to drag crankbaits down to the bottom for slamon - nice easy tip action but very nice backbone when needed as well.
Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:08PM

Yep!!
Try a Rainshadow HS1021 or HS1025 they are both 8'6" the 1021 is a bit heavier
with more back bone. You will NOT be disappointed!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: July 11, 2006 02:02PM

Thanks for all the responses. I was wondering if the steelhead rods would work. The lengths are what I need but how does the lure/line weight compare to spinning rods? If it says it's rated 3/8-3/4 does that translate to 3/8 ounce to 3/4 ounce lures? Thanks.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:20PM

yes

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:51PM

Kevin Norstuen asked: “How does the Lure / Line weight [of SteelHead rods] compare to Spinning rods? If it says it's rated 3/8 - 3/4 oz., does that translate to 3/8 ounce to 3/4 ounce lures?”

LURE RATING is somehow based on a percentage range of angular rod deflection, using weights (as static and / or dynamic loads), to determine the Lure Rating given. Apparently, it is somewhat arbitrary, but internally consistent within a Blank Series, and within a given Manufacturer. Standardization between Manufacturers is slightly different.

LINE RATINGS seem to be based on similar conventions, and are also correlated with certain ranges of Lure Ratings.

Beyond that self-evident generalization, it seems that a lure-weight’s hydro- or aero- dynamics has to be based on the assumption of a stream-lined lure body, regardless of the style fishing rod used. Water or wind resistance can vary tremendously for a given lure weight, and design based on the only uniform condition (a tear-drop weight) may be about the only way of standardizing methods.

So there has to be a certain amount of presumption based on that assumption. Otherwise, you’d be stymied by the unknowable.

Believe you me, I wish I knew a great deal more about this. Perhaps someone who does will see this Post and enlighten us further.
Thanks for a great question, Kevin. -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 11, 2006 08:08PM

Kinda sorta on the lure weights; some shallow divers aren't going to pull nearly as hard as a long-billed deep diver, but can be nearly the same weight. That should be taken into consideration on a crankbait rod, too.

I use 3 different "holder" rods for trolling the variety of walleye crankbaits (not the ones I put in a rod holder), and try to base the type of rod blank used (mostly) with how deep the lure dives. Those 20 foot + divers (the old Long A bombers and the newer brands, too) need a stout blank compared to a #5 shad rap deep diver. Of course, those two lure examples don't weigh quite the same, either!! Just some thought on this...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 12:50AM

For trolling Rapalas in rod holders I really like the Shimano ML Talora rods, they're a glass/carbon mix and are great. The 10' heavy version is also very good for trolling Muskie lures. I haven't found a blank that I like as much as the built up Shimano rod (the St. Croix is ok but the Shimano rod is less $$$ than the St Croix blank which isn't as good). If anyone knows of a glass/carbon blank that is as good as the Shimano Talora I would love to know. And for $80 the Shimano is a good value.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster