I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Madiera thread
Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 08, 2006 07:54PM

I am sure this has been covered but here it goes again. I can only find madiera thread in polyester unless I special order nylon. Do I need to order nylon or will the polyester work? Thanks guys. I love this site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madiera thread
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 08, 2006 08:04PM

What you want for rods is the Polyneon #40 (all 350 colors LOL) Be aware that you need to use CP with it. Do a SEARCH here. Type in madiera and select ALL DATES and you will find everything there is to know about using Madiera.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ny-newyorkc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 08, 2006 08:46PM

Pat, you need polyneon #40 like Mike said. Now, I have had good luck with this thread without CP. Yes, it will darken the thread but I have not had any fish eyes. Also, you will get some bleed through. Here are a few photos of no CP...
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

And a few with CP...
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 08, 2006 10:57PM

Jim Rippe..............

1. What finish do you use with Madeira, that you don't need CP?
2. With that finish, what technique, and method/tips of application do you use in order to prevent "fisheyes' without CP?
3. How do you overcome the "repellamathafacation" of the silicone?

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 08, 2006 11:37PM

Michael, I use LS Supreme. Not the high build. I brush it on and usually takes about two coats. That tartan I used the nice stuff, Thread Master. I don't do anything different. Another rod builder on this board has seen a finished piece at the Midwest Gathering.

Date: July 08, 2006 11:44PM

Do you get slight fisheyes on the first coat? And on the second coat things just one into place?

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 09, 2006 08:50AM

None at all. Like I said, I don't have a problem with fish eyes.

Date: July 09, 2006 09:19AM

.....it must be the LS Supreme, unfortunately I truly can't stand that stuff.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 09, 2006 10:46AM

Michael, Can't be the LS since he used Threadmaster on the Tartan

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 09, 2006 11:39AM

I did a repair on a rod using Mettler # 40, and I am guessing that is pretty much the same as Madiera and since the rest of the guides were done in black without CP I tried it and it worked out fine, no fisheyes at all and I use Classic Rod Coat epoxy. But I am very fussy about keeping my fingers clean to make sure I don't leave any oily finger prints on my wraps.

Date: July 09, 2006 11:55AM

I must have a bad batch of madeira.LOL.....I've never been able to avoid fisheyes with this silicone coated thread.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 09, 2006 03:21PM

I am not sure that Mettler is silicone treated, just guessing that it would be since it is made for the same purpose.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: July 09, 2006 09:11PM

Michael

You might want to give Coates & Clark Trilobal Thread a try. Per manufacturers specs the thread is not supposed to contain any lubricants. I am using it and so far all fisheyers have been narrowed down to greasy fingers and a cluttered wrapping area....All my faults and not the threads.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 08:09AM

MJoyce - try applying the finish without heat/propane. I coated 2 guides (VERY HEAVILY) last week with Madeira & Thredmaster, I put a heavy coat, heated with Propane, teh epoxy slipped and slided all over teh thread. I then moved the epoxy back where it belonged, and did a Doc Ski straw trick to warm it back up and get rid of the ridges from moving it back in place.

Final result was 1 coat of TM, 2 completely covered guide wraps, with some of those micro bubbles which Proprane always takes care of. Try picking the best of 2 evils, lol.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 10:40AM

I gotta get a picture up of the test I did after seeing Jim's tartan. Six bright Maderia colors over white. Finished with Supreme and NO FISHEYES!!. Some of the blends were really interesting and some were too drab. I did have to play with the finish a bit, but was really surprised that it didn't need the CP. I don't normally do the wait till it sags bit, but this time finish was applied heavily and wicked off, maybe thats the answer to the fish eyes?

Date: July 10, 2006 05:50PM

For Sale: 700 spools of thread of all kinds, about 2 gallons of various finishes, lots of widgets and tape. 3/4 gallon of misc CP, clemens lathe, bench grinder , propane torch, razor blades, etc......................later.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 06:11PM

Grant, I'm glad you gave it a try. Hope you post your test photo soon. I believe that the guys that are getting fish eyes are causing the problem by contaminating the thread. Most of the time I will wash my hands before doing a wrap to make sure my hands are clean and oil free.

Date: July 10, 2006 06:17PM

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:34AM

Michael Joyce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For Sale: 700 spools of thread of all kinds, about
> 2 gallons of various finishes, lots of widgets and
> tape. 3/4 gallon of misc CP, clemens lathe, bench
> grinder , propane torch, razor blades,
> etc......................later.

I'll give you $200

Date: July 11, 2006 06:55PM

$400 is fine but you'll have to pick it up...lol

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster