I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are those Fuji HKM folding hookkeepers ok?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 08:26AM

The Fuji HKM folding hookkeepers look neat but do they work ok or not? I've always used the traditional U-shaped but these folding type look kinda neat if they don't flop around or catch on things. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are those Fuji HKM folding hookkeepers ok?
Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 08:58AM

Hi Tim,
Yes they are definitely o.k.! I've been using both sizes for several years on fresh and saltwater flyrods with no trouble or complaint. They're especially nice on rods used for dries as they keep the hackles off the rod, making it convienient for both dressing and drying them. A couple of tips though- wrap it away from the stripping / haul side of the rod and be careful when applying finish so as not to get any in the opening that the wire loop mounts in- it's a pain to clean out after.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 10:01AM

I prefer the u-shaped on my own rods. I think the folding ones are a nuisance and highly impractical. Clients luv ''em though.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2006 10:56AM

Hi Tim,
On all my better rods I use both sizes: while I like others. My customers love them......and that makes it practical for me to use them....I have never had any negative feedback about them.......Y'all have a good day.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 12:38PM

They do look really cool. However, I quit using them after I had one break off (from no excessive use, that I can tell). I use the U-shaped ones now, if I even put one on a rod.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 06:00AM

I love them!

I wrapped one on a spare section of rod blank when I first got them to test them out.I found could pull it out if a safety wrap was not used,but with a Forhan Locking Wrap on it I couldn't and I know I put A LOT more pressure on it than my leader under tension to the reel ever could.I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

The best thing about them is that they fold away when not in use,so they don't catch your fly line the way the typical U shaped ones can.I find that they look WAY nicer too,both when in use and when folded down.When folded up flat they are quite inconspicuous.

My only complaint is that they don't come in enough finishes,just chrome and black.I wish gold ones were easier to find(I know someone other than Fugi makes them,but not too many places distribute them) and I would really like them to come in a TiCH finish.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: July 05, 2006 12:04PM

I have several on my rods. They work great! No load on a hook keeper that I can see.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.dialup.fsr.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 12:35PM

I use both the folding and the U shape depending on which the client likes best. I also use the ring and keeper style on some client rods. I have had zero problems with the folding style and use them on my personal rods. I sell a line of folding hook keepers (not Fuji brand name) that includes chrome, black and gold so Tony can get them in gold. Thanks, Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 06:31PM

Batson Enterprises has the "Forecast" Version in there new 106 Pg Color Catalog. They come in Polished SS, Chrome, Gold & Yes Titanium plated.. They will be available soon (08-01-2006) through your Authorized Batson Distributor...

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 09:29PM

I have really grown to dislike these more and more. One in salt water they break easy, and two they tend to get the line caught in baitcasters depending on if they are placed on top or bottom if there is slack in the line....I don't know....the simpilar ones I think will be what I am using in the future....the simple u shape seems to provide adequate function without imparment!

Posted by: Roger Petrella (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 06, 2006 04:46PM

Joe,

If you want some in gold (24K gold) I can plate the chrome ones for you. I can plate most any small item in gold, silver, copper, and several other metals. Let me know if you want anything done.

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster