I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wolverine Jig
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 10:22PM

Interested in any opinions/experiences with the Wolverine Grinding Jig for sharpening lathe tools.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wolverine Jig
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 10:37PM

Let me know too; I've got about 40 tools laying here with my grandfather's old lathe that need some work on them. I can use all the help I can get sharpening those...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: David Leonard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: July 04, 2006 07:06AM

While it may seem (heck, it actually is) steep initially, it makes getting a good edge so easy I would recommend it - spend your time turning with sharp tools without any aggravation trying to get a good edge. I do not have any experience trying to freehand grind tools, as I purchased a grinder at the same time. So, even with no experience I was able to sharpen all my tools quickly, easily and well. As I have only about 6 that I use (just starting to play with turning wood) I was initially a little disappointed that the sharpening was over so quickly...My dad brought his dull tools over and we had those like new in another 30-40 minutes. Oneway also has instructional videos you can watch on their website that help - watch 'em now to see the thing in action. The vari-grind jig comes in two sizes, something I didn't notice til I had ordered one (the smaller); had I known, I probably would have opted for the larger one. I'm now considering getting the wheel balancing kit since this other stuff worked so well.
Setup was pretty straightforward. I used a sawhorse kit from home depot and made it with longer legs using 2 x 4s, close together with a 2 x 10 top, then attached the jig and grinder to a piece of 3/4 plywood mounted on top (through the 2 x 10). My only issue now is moving the thing around, as the grinder I purchased weighs almost 100 lbs by itself...could probably post pics if there's any interest.
==dave==

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: July 04, 2006 08:00AM

The instructional videos that can be downloaded from their site give good basic info on the use of the jig.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2006 08:31AM

i have had one for awhile and it is well worth the money. it is amazing how long it takes to sharpen a gouge or other tool. seconds. i dont think you will be dissapointed.

Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 12:34PM

I considered the Kelton jig but the tech folks at Craft Supplies talked me into the Oneway Wolverine. For someone who was turning the tips of my tools blue in an attempt to get a good grind it has been a lifesaver. I bought the basic system with the vari-grind and skew grinding jigs and am slowly returning my turning tools to a condition I'm not ashamed to have my friends see. At roughly the cost of a good gouge it is one of the best investments I've ever made.

Date: July 04, 2006 03:51PM

Thanks Guys!!! That'll be my next purchase!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2006 08:41AM

Most anything that OneWay makes is going to be an excellent tool.

I would recommend replacing the cheap wheels that come on most bench grinders with friable AL or SIC wheels. They don't clog with metal particles and continually expose fresh cutting edges. They cost a little more upfront, but sure save you time down the road. They also reduce heat build up on the tool edge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2006 08:43AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 05, 2006 09:24AM

Mike,

I've heard this jig is also very good....FYI

[www.shop.woodcut-tools.com]

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: July 05, 2006 12:14PM

I have the wolverine jig and one of the cheap, low speed grinders with the white friable wheels from woodcraft. Nice setup that does a good job. But overall I like it. I am a sorta 'grind it and go" type of turner and this tool is great for that. You can leave the jig set up and just touch the tool to it every once in a while and go right back to turning with a sharp tool. Takes about 60 seconds.

If you have a bit more money and really like precision grinding and fancy bevels and use a wide variety of woodworking tools you might consider the Tormack system.

I also have access to one of the old Makita water wheel sharpening systems. That is also a very easy to use system for lots of woodworking tools.

Date: July 05, 2006 02:32PM

Thanks to all of your input here and by e-mail, I took the plunge. Hopefully I'll have it in a few days. If you haven't seen the instructional videos on their site, they're great [www.oneway.on.ca] Thanks, Stan.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster