I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why are we really doing this...?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 12:40PM

Camped out with a buddy and our kids last night, next to a farm pond, and got up to fish this morning. I was using a Rainshadow ISP843-3 with inlaid metallic trim wraps and Permagloss for the lightest load possible on the blank. Guide layout is new concept - the works. My 9 year old walks up with a Southbend, butt over tip ferrule piece of rod with a Zebco 33 probably twice his age. A Rapala gets flipped out and he lands a 4 to 5 lb largemouth! Should I sell all my custom gear and go to Walmart??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are we really doing this...?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 01:05PM

I'm sure this was an isolated case of a largemouth that had no class/taste...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 01:23PM

They call it fishing instead of catching, 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water, look to where he cast and with what then establish a pattern...and maybe Your son had more confidence in his equipment, this can be the undefinable edge, thats why many do this

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 01:23PM

That fish may have been related to Rich's crappie.....

A crappie I caught the other day was wondering about my guide spacing. He actually criticized my butt guide placement, saying “ it was clearly too close to the foregrip”. I ate him. - Rich Handrick

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 01, 2006 01:57PM

Oh, better yet. Yesterday, I am reading the Gainesville Sun's Friday Sports page's weekly article with Tim Tucker. Featured is a huge picture of youngster Dillon Rhodes straining to hold up his HUGE 12 lb. LargeMouth Bass. Caught on a private lake ~ 30 miles SE of Gainesville, FL, this fish was caught on a live shiner fished - you guessed it - from the end of his dock. Using a Zebco 33 with 10# line.

What kind of ROD? ... That is EXACTLY my point - to add insult to injury, what kind of rod it was was not even mentioned !!! ... AND IT WAS NOT EVEN SHOWN IN THE PICTURE ... How DARE they !!! .... –Cliff Hall
Definition of a Custom Fishing Rod:
A scepter of our own making,
ruling over a watery kingdom
of our own machinations.
-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2006 02:24PM by Moderator.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 02:55PM

YEA, I hate it when my wife out fishes me also

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 01, 2006 03:15PM

Steve, welcome to the "My Wife Always Outfishes Me" Club. :)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 01, 2006 03:27PM

Marty,
"Why are we really doing this...?" Because we HAVE to!!!!! Simple as that. An addict has NO choice. He may have outfished you, but you LOOKED a lot better.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2006 03:28PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: July 01, 2006 03:27PM

We do this because on the days we can't go fishing, we can build a rod, and i some way "still go fishing".

I love it when a kid outfishes me....keeps me from thinking that I have actually figured this sport out.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 08:44PM

We do it to take it from something simple, a stick, line and hook, to a higher level. Trouble is we forget some people a born with lucky horse shoes . Of course we could break down and trade turkey recipies.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2006 09:48PM

My first decent largemouth was on a Zebco 202 combo from Firestone Hardware on a Red Devil of all things. First SW striped bass on a K Mart "blue light" special combo with a 7" Repala off a 40ft cliff in Scarboro, ME. Both scenerios before the age of 10.....right place, right time, in the good old days when kids roamed the world without an adult next to them.

Why, are we really doing this?...for me, and maybe a few others?...........artistic expression on a functional linear /tubular medium.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2006 10:28PM

We are doing this because we can!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: July 01, 2006 11:26PM

Right on, Fred, ... How's the foot after the "guiding"? -Cliff.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: July 02, 2006 12:47AM

I have always thought of it along the lines that Andy said. Siting in my room with all my fishing things/rodbuilding stuff & books doing something is a bit like going fishing when you can't. Its also an environment that sets off fishin daydreams and that is like the real thing until you realise!

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.nas4.atlanta2.ga.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 11:33AM

Keeps me out of the strip bars in Dawsonville!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 06:43AM

"Camped out with a buddy and our kids last night, next to a farm pond, and got up to fish this morning. I was using a Rainshadow ISP843-3 with inlaid metallic trim wraps and Permagloss for the lightest load possible on the blank. Guide layout is new concept - the works. My 9 year old walks up with a Southbend, butt over tip ferrule piece of rod with a Zebco 33 probably twice his age. A Rapala gets flipped out and he lands a 4 to 5 lb largemouth! Should I sell all my custom gear and go to Walmart??"

The fish really don't seem to care what you are fishing with, do they? I build rods cuz I just plain old like to fish with something I created or if I build for someone else the look on their face when they get it is worth more than the $$ that I get for the work. It always puts a smile on my face to see a kid catch a nice fish.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 11:04AM

The wonderful thing about nature is it always at some point humbles us......when my son was 3 he outfished three (way better than avg adult fisherman)one day with 4 foot snoopy rod and reel hooking and landing a 4 1/2 lb lm bass when no one else had caught a fish for 3 hrs.

Congrats to your 9 yr old.....time to build him a nice forecast. You will have a fishin buddy for life!

Date: July 03, 2006 11:15AM

Field & Stream Headline: "3 year old Out-fishes the Pro's"
Yes, the Maker does have a sense of humour.
-Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2006 05:46PM

I'm with Andy as well, I do it because it gets me closer to fishing when I can't or decide I have an excuse NOT to go fishing.....and it seems that rod building HAS cut into my fishing time conciderably I'm afraid.....I guess it's easier when time is short.

DR

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: July 05, 2006 03:51PM

The really good thing about rod building is that it has cut into my work time. In fact, here I sit looking at the rod building board instead of finishing my report. Priceless.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster