I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie who needs some direction
Posted by: Josh Muller (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 09:48AM

I am an avid fisherman who has expensive taste and I would rather buildem than pay retail for them ( I can't afford retail anyway). Before I jump inand spend a lot fo money on blanks, guides, etc, what books or media to you recommend to help me understand how to get started, what to do, when to do it, and supplies needed? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I feel a little lost at the moment.

-JM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie who needs some direction
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 09:51AM

Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman. How We Do It by Flex Coat. Those are the book and the DVD that I think will get you started.

But you aren't going to save any money building your own rods really. Good parts are not cheap and your time must be worth something. You will end up with a better rod than you can buy but not a less expensive one IMO.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: June 29, 2006 10:37AM

Josh you might also try the directory at the top of the page. Another rod builder in your area can be a great help when starting. I've often loaned my books to others who want to start. Don't be surprised if they ask you for your first born or a pint of blood from you to ensure that you return them in good order. It will also help if you let us know where you are from.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 29, 2006 10:43AM

Josh,

Read the library...the glossary...and chk in tackle works for a rod builder in your area...perhaps someone who sells components. People who builds rods go overboard to help others interested.

If you are a smart consumer you can save money........If you buy all high end blanks and components it won't cost you any less than a top end factory rod. Either way you can build a rod exactly the way you want it. I would suggest contacting one of the suppliers here and ordering a kit for your first rod. You will be surprised how nice a rod you will get even from a relatively inexpensive kit. The reason I suggest this that the components will all fit with each other. Once you have built your first rod (and possibly make a couple mistakes) you will understand more about what you want to use to pick out your own stuff and to judge where you want to spend your money. I would suggest a batson forecast to start..a great value.

Tom's book is really great...and so is this site. If you do a search under "first rod" or " newbie qusetion" I bet you will get more info that you care to read. If you run into a problem post here and someone will help you.

Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.mayo.edu)
Date: June 29, 2006 11:19AM

Josh,

One thing that helped me in getting started was getting as many catalogues from sponsors and vendors as I could. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but it gives you a good sense of what's available. Tom's book and this site are great helps as others have mentioned. I would also suggest getting a subscription to Rodmaker magazine. The cost of subscribing is well worth all the information you will have at your fingertips. I also have gotten several tapes and DVD's as I am a visually oriented learner. Seeing how something is done is how I learn best. Hope this helps. By the way, this is incredibly addicting once you get started... so beware!

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 29, 2006 11:37AM

Josh Muller -- IMO, Ken Finch said it all - I could not have said it better myself. Your investment of effort and equipment may save you some cash, but there is a learning curve to rod-building, and that's where the fun -and the drama- lies. B)- -Cliff Hall

Ken Finch said: "You aren't going to save any money building your own rods, really. Good parts are not cheap, and your time must be worth something. You will end up with a better rod than you can buy, but not a less expensive one, IMO." -Ken Finch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2006 03:21PM by Moderator.

Date: June 29, 2006 12:29PM

Everyone,

Thanks for the heads-up. I know I said I wanted to save money; I mad that comment half jokingly. I know how hobbies are, you spend a lot more than you intend, but that isnt the point of a hobbie. I have purchased a number of rods i intently examined in the store only to hate them once I used them on the water. I just want the satisfaction of knowing I can build what I want with quality components!! I know this will be addictive, but I need something to keep my mind off of fishing :)

Date: June 29, 2006 04:58PM

"Aah, YES, confession is good for the soul, Cousin Muller, ... B)- ...

"Now you may proceed to the next level of the Fellowship of the Ring. ... Guide Rings, that is, ... and Rod Blanks and, ... Woops! ...We almost skipped a step - you said you needed a mini-tour of some Books, ... and maybe some other instructionals...?

"Right this way, Cousin Muller, for some books:

"What did you say, Cousin Muller? ... What's THAT at the end of that long dark hallway, where you heard - what? ... I didn't hear anything, Cousin Muller, did you? ... But I'm still pretty new around here, just coming up to my 2-year anniversary in another month, ...

“I had to spend the first year getting RE-PROGRAMMED, you know, from the Old Ways, sweet as they were, –started about 20 years ago–, … Oh, how I miss them, ... Now I’ve been one of the mid-level Tour Guides for about the last year, handling the simple Tours while the Masters are busy actually building rods.

“Cousin Muller, oh there you are, I was so busy talking, I didn’t see you wander off, … Cousin Muller, you can't go down there !!!

“-‘WHY?’- you ask, because THAT is the WIZARD Room, that’s why! To get to it, you must go past the Vivona Zona, where all rod-building non-sense is set on fire, … and then you go past the Reyna Raina, where we put out the fire that almost kills you. Then we let you get back to a nice, practical rod-building project of your choice.

“-‘What’s in the Wizard Room?’- The Wizards, Cousin Muller! … The Wizards of Weave, and the Knights of the Cross-Wraps, and the Dukes of Diamonds, and the …”

The sound of a dungeon door opening creaks thru the hallway.
“Did you hear that, Cousin Muller?” … “Hear what, Cliff?”

“OH, NO!, I did it AGAIN – I gave too much INFORMATION too soon !! Oh dear, and I spent too much TIME and too many WORDS on one Tour. Now Bro. Barkley will hound me, and Bro. Stevens will rip my next R-B Lecture to shreds. And when Bro. Lance gets a hold of me, – well, with a name like “lance” you can only imagine the trouble I’m in !”

“Coming Bro. Emory, …He’s the Arch-Bishop of Canti-Lever, and I live in his parish. … Oh, I’ll never get out of this purgatory !”

“Cousin Muller, here’s my Book List.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

And did you Register already?
“You can check in anytime time you like,
But you can never leave …” [Eagles, “Hotel California”]

I'll let the other RBO Fellows tell you about
their favorite Videos & DVDs. B)- -Bro. Hall B)-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2006 05:13PM by Moderator.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.ras13.floca.alerondial.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 05:49PM

Awesome---- Cliff. You must have mixed a double batch of glue for your tips and grips
and maybe you over inhaled a little ????

The wizard room !!!! I love it. Good Day..

<<<<< DON AT HOBBY RODS >>>>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2006 05:51PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 29, 2006 07:09PM

Cliff - I'm still laughing!!

Rog

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 29, 2006 10:46PM

Cliff, I hope you're not selling what you're obviously smoking (but if you are, send me some)!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 30, 2006 03:02AM

B)- ... Nothing like a good parody, eh Mike ! ...
"Whoa ! - Gotta go, here comes Lance, ...
... OUCH !!!" ... LOL, -Cliff Hall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2006 07:30AM by Moderator.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 30, 2006 03:29AM

I think Cliff stoped going to his meetings!

"Hello my name is Cliff, I'm a rodbuildingholic"

Date: June 30, 2006 08:56AM

Cliff,

Give me some of what your drinkin/smokin!!

-I appreciate the responses and instruction. I think I am going to do some reading b/f I start building.

Date: June 30, 2006 09:02AM

Cliff,

I see you are/were at UF. I am in Gville at the moment as well.

-Josh

Date: June 30, 2006 12:21PM

Josh Muller <[email protected]>
Hey, Gator ! - Give me a holler sometime.
Cliff Hall "Clifford M. Hall" <[email protected]>

Hook up with people in the GOFC,
the Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club.
[www.gofc.us]
Most of GOFC fishes Cedar Key & Suwannee,
but others go down to Waccassaa and Crystal River.

The Tackle Box is the local B&T with lots of know-how,
know-where and know-when, ... and lots of good stuff
at fair prices. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2006 02:14PM by Moderator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster