I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dark colored tartan pattern
Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 28, 2006 09:07AM

Anyone had any success doing a dark colored tartan pattern...want to do a "black watch " tartan composed of Dark bues Green black with white and yellow trim. Most of the tartans I have seen are composed of a white backround with colors added then filled with white and trim added...allowing for the under color to beeld thru the white. This looks great but the tartan I am trying to reproduce has only a couple white accent trim lines.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dark colored tartan pattern
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: June 28, 2006 09:39AM

Only one way to find out....get wrapping

Date: June 28, 2006 09:43AM

Not true of all things Billy..........as men we can learn from others failures and sucesses. If it were true there would be no use for this forum.

I am a believer in getting in there and doing it......but I don't like cutting wraps off. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2006 09:51AM by Joe Brenner.

Date: June 28, 2006 09:59AM

Cutting wraps off is one of the things you have to deal with if you want to get the perfect result you are looking for.

Date: June 28, 2006 10:16AM

BIlly,

I agree with that but want to limit the number of wraps I have to cut off.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel.......Scottish clans have been using black watch tartans for over a 1000 yrs....but I haven't seen one reproduced on a rod. My thinking is someone has tried and failed...wondering if all the dark colors just get darker and you can't really see the detail of the tartan...wondering if I under wrap w white NCP then use my darker colors then wrap over will it show thru or will everything just get dark? Is there something I haven't thought of?

Yes I could just try it....but I have a very limited amount of time to work on rods in the first place. My goal is to learn from others to save me wasting the time I do have .

By the way Billy......I admire your work..very nice stuff.

Date: June 28, 2006 11:06AM

Could you wrap a short section with teh colors you want on top of each other to give yourself an idea? Every Tartan I've seen has been light colors. I think people are copycatters, and do what they see others do. I do it myself. Break out of the box.

I'll go on to further assume/guess that there are VERY few people who do Tartans, and even fewer who post on the interent. SO the liklehood tht you'll recieve a response on your question is probably slim.

PS - thanks. I have often cut wraps off, I've got about 8 or 9 which I CP'd & epoxied this way I at least had somethign to show for my wasted time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2006 11:07AM by Billy Vivona.

Date: June 28, 2006 01:36PM

I've got a couple old pcs of blank lying around...guess I will need to do some test wraps...If no one else replies.

Thanks Billy

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: June 28, 2006 04:51PM

Let us know how it goes Joe (with pics preferably) as I'm looking at doing a dark coloured tartan (for an Irish clan tartan - my last name).

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 28, 2006 05:57PM

Just thought I would add my thoughts on this one. I have tried a tartan in the Black Watch style and I wasn't impressed with it at all. The whole set up was too dark to really have any of the colours stand out except the NCP trim. I used dark green, black and dark blue in mine and used a light green base colour. When the finish was added it just looked too dark to pick up any highlights. The best colours I have personally used for tartans are green and red, blue and green, light brown/dark brown and any colour with bands of black. For me, the background colour has to be white or a very light shade of one of the colours you are using, eg light blue, tan, spring green etc. Another way to get a different look is to run bands of one colour up the rodand bands of another colour down the rod, eg dark blue and black, green and black or darker green etc. As Billy says, you never really know until you give it a try. Some are outstanding, some are ready for the razor blade.

Date: June 29, 2006 08:33AM

Mark,

Thanks for the info..this is kind of what I feared would happen. When I get some time I am going to play with it and see what I can come up with...

Michael,

My Mother's side of the family (MacNeil of barra) though Scottish also come from Irish decendants.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster