I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help! My eyes are crooked
Posted by: John Pinson (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 05:38PM

Does anyone use a jig to make sure the guides lay straight on a blank? My eyes spin in circles when I'm lining up guides and doing fine tuning work. There has got to be a better way

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! My eyes are crooked
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 05:47PM

John; If you get the stripper on centered and straight you can line the rest up off of it using the light streak on the top of the blank. Then just be sure they are all straight up and down. You can also turn the rod over and see that the same amount of guide shows on either side of the blank. Another way is to push a bend into the rod against a light colored wall and see that equal amounts of the guide ring show on either side of the blank and that the tip is up and square. If those don't work for you take the rod outside and sight it against the sky.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 05:49PM

John; If you get the stripper on centered and straight you can line the rest up off of it using the light streak on the top of the blank. Then just be sure they are all straight up and down. You can also turn the rod over and see that the same amount of guide shows on either side of the blank. Another way is to push a bend into the rod against a light colored wall and see that equal amounts of the guide ring show on either side of the blank and that the tip is up and square. If those don't work for you take the rod outside and sight it against the sky.

Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 06:57PM

Hi John, Have you tried sighting them with the guides facing away from you (on the far side of the blank)? This works for me when my eyes are tired. I hold the rod at about 45 degrees and look down the side. You can see the out of line guides pretty well this way.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 08:39PM

John,
Jim and Mark have given you several options and good advice but I would like to add one caveat and it may be that your eyes are not the problem.
You can line the guides up by just sighting down them and insuring that they are straight relative to each other. You can line the guides up by looking through them at the blank with a light background to see that there is an equal amount of light on either side of the hole in the guide as Jim suggests or look at the back side of the blank for an equal amount of each guide showing on either side of the blank as Mark suggests. Both of these approaches will line the guides up relative to the blank. However you cannot afterward sight down the guides and expect them to be straight relative to each other if there is any bend or crookedness in the blank and there almost always is at least a slight amount.
You can either line the guides up straight relative to each other or line them up straight relative to the blank but not both unless the blank is very straight. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 27, 2006 09:09PM

Good Point, Emory!!!!! Never considered that!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 11:04PM

I feel your pain John...Going through the same thing myself. Lining up guides and testing placement always gives me a headache for some reason, usually accompanied with no small amount of verbage inappropriate to discuss on this forum. I would build from pool cues if I could get away from it. THEY are at least always straight if you get the right kind. I often use a reel with line centered on the spool with the line tied to the tip top to align my guides...or use the light stripe from the flourescent light over my wrapping bench .

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 28, 2006 07:52AM

I wrapped a rod last night and tried the "guides underneath" alignment trick for the first time - it worked great! Much easier to see if you have a guide just a bit off.

Posted by: jerry christopher (216.115.176.---)
Date: June 28, 2006 08:27AM

i just use the beam from my laser level...

[www.pulpfishing.net]
~fishing with attitude~

Drop by say Hi.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 28, 2006 09:36AM

Side note.......was in my local Sportsman's Whse store and looking through their rod selection just to see how well they were put together. I was impressed with the quality of the way most of the rods were assembled until I got to the most expensive rods they had. They had several GLOOMIS Streamdance flyrods 6 of 8 rods ranging from 300.00 to 575.00 had guides that were crooked (foot not aligned to the blank), found many wraps that were not packed were you could see the bare metal of the guide feet through the epoxy...on the 575.00 model the finish was not even close to smooth my 7 yr old could have done better. I was shocked.

Most of the 40.00-80.00 bass rods were put together as well as any rod I have seen.....these were almost all imported rods. I never found one defect on any of the ST Croix rods they had.

Once I get the guides where I think they are close I like look down the back of the blank as mentioned above and make sure I see equal amounts of guide on both sides....I think this is the best techique because this is how you will see the rod when it is fished.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster