I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing on extra fast casting blank
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 27, 2006 09:51AM

I recently picked up a couple 6' medium action casting blanks from a now former board sponsor. They have an extremely fast tip. My experience so far has been with spinning rods and musky rods. This is being built for a bass guy - as hard as I tried, I cannot get him to go for the spiral wrap. Anyways, due to the ultra fast action, to simply keep the line off the blank, I end up with the first guide (sz6 SF fly) at 3" from the tip, then 3.5", 4", 5", then on out to a more conventional spacing. My concern is that these first few guides are spaced so closely together - I know that 4" is very typical for the first guide or two - am I going to run into any problems I haven't already forseen with this close spacing? My guide choices are 12,10 double foot, then 8,6,6,6,6, SF fly, Batson zirconia rings.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing on extra fast casting blank
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: June 27, 2006 10:07AM

I would think you should be ok with that spacing. It has been so long since I have done a conventional wrapped rod, but with that fast of a tip, you will need them to be close. And the fly guides are about as light and small as you can get for up on the tip.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.rcmp-grc.gc.ca)
Date: June 27, 2006 10:46AM

I just finished a match pair of casting and spinning rods with a conventional setup on the casting rod. I used SF fly guides on the casting rod, and due to the low ring to blank distance, I had to add an additional guide. When I was done and ready to hand over the rods, I noticed that the spinning guides were higher off the blank. If the number of guides is a concern, try using spinning guides with the same size rings. You may be able to eliminate a guide with the additional ring height.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 10:47AM

I think your are on target. I build med action popping rods with guides on top and the spacing you mention is almost on top of mine which may be a little closer out on the tip. I end up with size seven ring fly for the last two. Sixes may be a little bit better but they are just too small for me to fool with.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 11:07AM

Rich; If after doing a static test, that is what it takes for the rod to handle correctly. Then that is what it takes, shouldn't be a problem

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 27, 2006 11:56AM

Rich Handrick - Like Bill Stevens, your choice of a SF FLY guide could, IMO, also include the 7mm Ring Size among the 10mm, 8mm and the 6mm Ring Sizes in the Batson ForeCast FL-Series of "high-heel" Fly Guides. The 7mm FL Guides are a happier median for me, too, than the tiny 6mm guide. ... Just think about that for FUTURE rod projects. This one sounds right on the money for this lite-tip, xtra-fast bait-caster. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2006 12:09PM

Drop the 8 and move on to 6's. If you want to use 7's, that's fine too. But you don't need all those different sizes in there.

Date: June 27, 2006 12:15PM

Thanks guys for the input - I think I have it right, just wanted to hear some more expert opinions! Those #6's are small, but they will pass any line used easily, and I love the light weight. Most commercial bass rods seem to use #8's as the running guides - they just seem too big to me. The 7mm might be the ticket for the next one...

Posted by: jim spooner (---.cntral.tds.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 02:07PM

Rich, I know this might sound sacreligeous to some, but I wouldn't worry about keeping the line off the blank. The number of guides you'd need to do that would only add unneeded weight to the rod. I've been building rods for over thirty years and I've never had an instance where the line contact has caused a problem. The trade-off for lighter weight is well worth it.

Posted by: David Leonard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: June 27, 2006 07:05PM

Another thought - a higher frame spinning guide will increase the torque (already present in a conventionally wrapped baitcaster) over a lower fly guide.

==dave==

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 08:12PM

Yoyr right Jim, Sounds sacrelieous

Date: June 28, 2006 07:49AM

Tom, I wish I would have seen your post last night before I wrapped the rod! Oh well. I test cast it and it all looks good, casts very well even with my limited baitcaster ability.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster