I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Number of guides on a conventional surf
Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 06:31AM

Hi everyone-
This is one for all you surf casters. Have any of you noticed a discernable difference in the number of guides you use on a conventional rod as it relates to distance? Obviously, less guides = less restriction = more distance, but the static test for spacing says more guides. I do my test casting on a local lake- only place with enough room- so it's hard to judge . On a 9' 8" rod that I'm building for 2-4 oz. plugs, I'm currently at 7 guides with a + - 100 yd cast , judged by the amunt of line off the reel. I see other rods of the same size with as few as 5 which is how many I'd use for a spinner. What are your experieces?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Number of guides on a conventional surf
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2006 07:30AM

A fishing rod has to do more than just cast a lure or weight - it also has to fight a fish and hopefully come home intact. All guide placement is somewhat of a compromise. More guides adds weight (which is really where any loss in distance will come from) but too few guides can put the rod in jeopardy when it's under heavy load.

I think on a rod of that length 7 is about the minimum I'd use, casting or spinning. You might try 5 to see how it affects casting distance, but I don't think you'll gain much, if any.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 09:25AM

Five guides on a 9' or 10' surf rod isn't my idea of a good custom rod building job. I know older rods were made that way but I've had some lines break on rods with too few guides and I think not having enough guides and therefore too much of a line angle on the guide ring was the culprit.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 27, 2006 11:30AM

Mark Tobiasz - I know that I am a little confused as to whether you are building this 9'8" Surf Rod Blank for throwing 2-4 oz plugs into a SPINNING Rod (as for a Penn 750 Spinning Reel), or into a REVOLVING- SPOOL "Conventional" CASTING Rod (as for a Penn 545-GS or 525-Mag Casting Reel).

I suppose you do mean both the REEL - AND- the GUIDE LAY-OUT (Set-Up) will be "CONVENTIONAL" - with a Casting Reel -AND - a "Guides -on- Top" Rod Layout.

A Guides-on-Top Layout of at least 7 guides sounds workable, depending on your Guide Style & Size, and the Rod's Taper. Once you do a trial Static Loading Test, it would not surprise me if the rod needed ~10 guides to smooth out the curve and keep the fishing line above the rod blank on deep bends.

If this is a SPINNING ROD, then 7 Guides would not be too many. Your choice for Guide Styles & Sizes will also make a big difference in this case as well.

If you are hitting distances of ~ 250+ feet with the Guide Set-Up as you have it now, and if you are good with that, then it is unlikely, IMO, that further refining the Guide Selection or Placement will give you anything more than a 5% (~15 feet) improvement.

IMO, the Fisherman's casting TECHNIQUE (and his consistency), and the INITIAL choice of the ROD BLANK have a greater effect on Casting Distance than Guide Selection & Placement under ACTUAL FISHING CONDITIONS.

I suppose that most highly tweaked-out Tournament-style Surf Casting Rods would last about 6 tides; or maybe 2 alligator bluefish; or maybe 1 real cow striper around Montauk, or any sort of near-shore or on-shore hazards.

Throwing plugs that large (2-4 oz.), there ain't nothing dainty about that stick, so, after sufficient Casting Distance, STURDY is the other word that comes to mind.

Good Luck, Mark Tobiasz. ... -Cliff Hall+++, FL-USA

P.S. - To those who have not done so already,
Check out the Static Load Distribution Article:
STATIC GUIDE PLACEMENT by Tom Kirkman
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 06:49PM

Wow! Thanks for the response guys!.
First, I should tell you, this is'nt the first surf stick I've built, but I allways like to hear what others have to say, it's the best way to improve on what you know.
It is a casting rod, Penn 525 reel on a 10' American Tackle Patriot blank rated up to 6 oz. casting weight,(can you imagine!) that I've cropped 4" at the tip. I did this to help stop any residual flex/vibrations that occur after the rod unloads as I felt that it was causing backlashes when the flexing tip would throw a wave into the line that the reel would overrun. Seems to work so far. Tom, you're absolutely right- playing and landing are paramount which is a reason to use more guides or maybe a higher frame?
Ken, I had the same thought about line breakage, but a guy I talked to who had been " building sticks for 25 yeah..." (also the guy who said 5 guides) said go to heavier line- I was planning on 65 lb PowerPro based on it's diameter, I think the braids stay a little limper- and I don't think heavier line is the answer I'm looking for. Again, more guides. And yes Cliff- nothing dainty here- I'll make it look nice but we will be taking a beating together up here on the rocks of New England. Slammer blues and good size bass - my best last year was almost 44", released- are the targets. I'm looking for good distance to be able to reach 'em . I am getting consistant distance with 8 guides( I added one last night) and with a static test at 12 lbs the line stays off the rod. I think you're all right- more guides is the better bet !. Whew! After all this, I think I need to line up one of my fly rods and go fishing on the stream down the street. Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster