I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a weave pattern
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: June 26, 2006 11:13PM

My first attempt at a weave (a two color geometric symbol) was unsatisfactory. So much so that I swore off of weaving, after all it's not like there isn't enough other ways to express myself when rodbuilding. However, I can't get it out of my mind so I'd like to give it another shot. So in an effort to make things a little simpler (since I need at least a minor victory) I thought I'd try a single color. So three questions:
1) Will a metallic Gudebrod A work in a weave?
2) Is the tension (compared to guide wraps) reduced?
3) Does anybody have a dragon (head to tail) pattern of about 70 threads wide that they would be willing to share?
Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a weave pattern
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2006 11:45PM

Metalics are difficult to get used to when weaving.
Try lettering for the first couple weaves

Good luck with the dragon!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: June 27, 2006 12:43AM

Steve;
You are, I'm afraid, just like a lot of us here--way beyond professional help!!! From a two color geometric symbol to a full blown dragon, my hat's off to ya! There are at least four Dragon masters here, that all do incredible work, and I hope they chime in. I've not gotten that brave myself, as of yet! But keep us posted, and keep up the fight! Best wishes.

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2006 01:27AM by Fred Crum.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 09:36AM

Steve; I have a Dragon pattern that may be just what you need. I have to go to breakfast right now but if you will send me E-Mail I will see what I can do for you as soon as I get back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2006 10:12AM by Jim Upton.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 27, 2006 12:47PM

1. Metallic thread can be used but are a bit more problematic that regular thread. If you use A metallic for the pattern I would recommend either B or C for the wrap thread.

2. I use the same of more tension than I do on the guides, which by the way is usually more than most other people use. It is just my way.

3. Take Jimmy up on his offer. He has great Dragon patterns.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 27, 2006 12:54PM

Steve with time you can make a pattern from any thing. All you have to do is grid it out. A single color pattern like the alphabet letters is the best way to start out. Also with the variation of letters to chose from, you can get lots of practice, This is a great learning curve . When you start doing lots of color changes that can be a challenge. So learning how letters are formed with threads well be of great benefit to you.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster