I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

steelhead blank for Carolina rig very deep water??
Posted by: John Lasky (---.com)
Date: June 26, 2006 02:03PM

Whats up everyone.

Its been a long time since I posted,Im glad to see lots of the regulars still active.

I just finished a 10 wt fly stick on a left over perigee blank I had.

Ive been doing a lot of smallie fishing off my boat in lake george using drop shot rigs with very good results lots of fish! the perigee spin sticks I built are super.

well Now onto a different method for the lake.

drop shotting is fine but Im now looking to cover more water with big baits and also throw bottom hugging soft baits against rock walls and into danger spar bouy area areas that I cant get too close to with the boat..

I dove many of these danger areas and lots of big fish hold in these spots but its too risky to bring the boat too close , one boat wake and crash. I have a cuddy not a bassin boat.

lake george smallies are very deep! typically in the summer months 35- 70' + . Ive caught smallies as deep as 95' on a drop shot with senko worms. lakers are way down too usualy in the 100s.

I know there are tons of Bass specific blanks But with the depth Im fishing I need real long for hook sets and I have another condition I CANT STORE A 7' LONG ROD ON MY BOAT so 2 pc is a must!

so I was thinking a steelhead blank that was rated for a 1 oz or heavier lure range. 8'6" 2pc that way with a 9 or 10 inch handle Id have plenty of rod left.

YOUR Thoughts please Im toiled on this one. makes sence but Im not a bass rod expert by any means.

BTW Whats up with richards rods Reels?? cant get his website.

many thanks Happy wraps

"John"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2006 02:50PM by John Lasky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: steelhead blank for Carolina rig very deep water??
Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: June 26, 2006 03:23PM

There are many good Salmon / Steelhead blanks available in the 8'6" range. From my experience the Lamiglas TiMSH 102 2H is my first choice on Salmon but the TiMSH 2MT should be great for your needs. These blanks are made from the Lamiglas IM700 graphite bonded to a tapered titanium shaft through the grip and reel seat area. They would certainly be worth a close look for your purpose.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: June 26, 2006 03:35PM

If your using heavy lead over an ounce and bigger baits the Rainshadow SW967F an IM6 2 piece saltwater blank just may be the ticket. It will fish the big swimbaits to about 7 inches also.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2006 07:42PM

Check out the Rainshadow ISA1355F 11"3"' 2pc / ISA1446F 12 2pc. These rods should give you enough leverage to set the hook from that deep. The long rods work for long hook sets when trotting the streams for steelhead and I don't see why they wouldn't work in this situation.

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster