I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simple spiral parts?
Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.caltel.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:51AM

I have been playing with guide placement and differant types of spirals and I think I am going to use the simple spiral and was thinking of putting some kind of ring where the line would touch the blank I would like a titanium ring to match the guides. The blank is about 9/16"(.625) at that point Do any of the venders at the left carry anything like that. Or maybe a womans ring. Anyone know what size that might be in a ring. any other ideas would be great.
Thanks Jack

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simple spiral parts?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2006 10:41AM

Do a search here for more information on that concept. It's been done and with some degree of success. You must be careful not to use a ring that affixes tightly around the blank without some "give" or cushion or you may have a failure at the point where the ring constricts the blank.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 12:40PM

Michael Joyce posted a photo not to long ago showing how he used
an SiC guide ring that he popped out of the guide.

Go to the photo section and see "member galleries" under "M"

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 23, 2006 01:12PM

Thanks everyone,
I think I got this rod going in the right direction so I will use this info on the next rod.
Jack

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 03:14PM

Jack, that ring in the photo just happened to suit my needs. I'd venture to gues that by heating and popping rings out of guides, you could get what your looking for, something to keep line off the blank. You will need to remove the adhesive from the ring, super fine wet sand, and polish/buff at high speed for a smooth surface. The concept of a bumper ring makes sense and works, but it really looks 'funky stupid'.

Date: June 23, 2006 05:55PM

Thanks,
I really like the idea of the SIC ring (next rod) This rod is a e-glass blank pretty big in the butt.12-25
I played with all the differant spirals that I read about and the best I could come up with is #20 at about 25 deg the next is a #10 at about 120 deg and the rest #8 at 180 deg That keeps the line just off the blank the line looks good with the eye, pretty straight and smooth. Is there any reason that it won't work like that.
This is my first rod so It has been fun and by moving guides around you learn a lot.
Thanks for all the help.
Jack

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:52PM

Jack, Personally, I consider the Simple or "Bumper" spiralthe easiest to set up and VERY effective. One guide on top and all the rest at 180 degrees witha small guide at 90 degrees exactly 1/2 way between the butt guide and the first 180 guide. Works GREAT!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2006 09:08PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: June 23, 2006 09:04PM

Yes and that is how I will more then likley do the next rod. I am trying to finish this rod for next weekend.
Also when I tried it on this rod(simple spiral) there is a lot of presure to the blank under load And putting a guide inbetween seems Like it would make it worse. Right now the way I have it it runs 1/16"-1/8" off the blank and hits the top or bottom of every guide (no side loads.) The line seems to stay true weather under load or not. I think I am happy. but rember this is my first rod. I have fished with a lot of differant rods just haven't built any. Thank you for any help
Jack

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 11:59AM

Jack Just an Idea here. If you went with a guide ring you might want to use one just a little bigger then the blank. Do a short under wrap to protect the blank . Then do a short decorative wrap on each side. To kind of blend it into the rod so it doesn’t look like it’s out of place

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 11:05PM

Jack,
Steve's suggestion is a good one. When a rod deflects it becomes slightly elliptical in the area where the deflection is so if your rod will deflect or bend in the area where you are planning the metal ring or guide insert to be you will not want the guide insert or metal ring to fit tight. If it does fit tight so that it prevents the rod from becoming elliptical the rod will likely fracture at that point. I do not really know but I suspect that a guide insert will break before most rods will but a metal ring fitting tight around the blank is asking for trouble.

Date: June 27, 2006 08:18PM

Short under wrap under SIC ring? Would you wrap then maybe epoxy the ring to the wrap and then finish or finish and then epoxy ring to finish?
Thanks for all your help.
Jack

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster