I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LAMIGLAS BLANKS MATERIAL
Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:27AM

Hello everyone,

I hope for some kind of "independant" explanation, because I got confused with Lamiglas information about material they use to produce blanks/rods

In general, two questions:

1/ Does anyone know whether there is a difference between IM700 and Certified Pro material? (Not IM700 Titanium, just IM700)

2/ Does anyone know whether there is a difference between G1000 and IM6 material?
Besides, what happened to IM6? It is no longer listed among Lamiglas materials list, there are some blanks and rods in "IM6 Competitor Series" though

Best regards,
Pavel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2006 08:29AM by Pawel Tymendorf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LAMIGLAS BLANKS MATERIAL
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:45AM

Pavel,
IM6 was a brand name for the fiber manf. by Hercules Fiber Corp. which is now Hexcel I believe. The term IM6 is not a fiber type, but rather a brand name give to a fiber by a company. But because the fiber known as IM6 was the first "advancement" ove the original 33msi fiber, people have become to equate it as a fiber type. For example, Mitsubishi makes basically the exact same fiber, and they call it MS43. If Mitsubishi had come ut with this fiber before Hercules did, everyone would be referring to it as MS43 instead of IM6. Lot's of companies have fibers that are the same specs as the IM6 material, and they all have different names for them.

The above mentioned fiber with a modulus around 43msi is pretty much the industry standard for lot's of rods, and I would bet that Lamiglas is using it somewhere in their lineup....just because it's not listed as IM6 doesn't mean they're nout using a fiber with the same or similiar properties as the Hexcel IM6 brand.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 09:05AM

A lot of the naming of graphite is all hype IM7 has to be better than IM6, it is just up to you to figure out how the MFG thinks it is better, by asking them specifically. it may indeed be made from a higher modulas strain roll of graphite. Some super 85 mill modulas graphite if used entirely would produce a rod so brittle it would snap easily as it was so stiff and the wall thichness so thin.
Various graphite grades, may be used in conjunction with other lower mill modulas graphite to produce the desirable effect in action or durability, There are many factors that combine which attribute to a blanks inheriant action. On most MFG's high end series blanks the scrim (matte that the graphite is laid up upon in the roll) switches material from heaiver fiberglass to a lighter carbon fibre. How the grahpite is laid up has a hand in producing strength, as graphite has a grain, orienting the grain 90 degres from a susequent layer (much like a piece of ply wood) makes things stronger and when running at a right angle to the rod increases the hoop strength, this is often used inreinforcing areas such as ferrlues and transitional tapers

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: June 23, 2006 09:18AM

I have comparable IM6 & IM7 blanks, specifically the XC80H, XC84MH; and the IMC80H and IMC84MH. There is a difference, the IMC is lighter, and it is stiffer than the XC, they both have pretty much the same action, but the XC bends a little more further down the blank when a fish is on.

These are all discontinued now, but I think you can figure out what you are looking for based on this?

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 10:36AM

Chris,
I have to politely disagree......naming of material by manf. is not all hype. There are indeed differneces bewteen IM6, IM7, IM8 etc.....mainly the tensile strength, but sometimes modulus as well. You can view the differneces here in this chart:

[www.advancedcomposites.com]

Now, if were talking about the designations that manf. give lke IM700, SCIV, GL3 etc...yes, I agree that those are hype for sure. As for different types of scrim, and their orientation, weight and position in the rod,, that's a different subject all together and is not quite as simple as it sounds.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 12:53PM

Awesome site Andy!

Thanks for the link! A bit over my head but very very interesting nun the less.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: June 23, 2006 03:25PM

Awesome site indeed, @Andy !

Seems that Toray G1000T material has the best strength (Ksi) vs moduls (Msi) ratio - does any one produce rods /blanks out of this ?

:)

@Billy
IMC series were made of IM6 and XC of IM700 ? Or opposite - I am not sure

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: June 23, 2006 03:55PM

The IMC is the IM&00, the XC was IM6.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: June 24, 2006 08:35AM

IM700 was, I believe, 47 mil graphite. Todd told me some years ago so I'm fuzzing here. I own both and prefer the Certified Pro blanks in some salmon/steelhead blanks as the IM700 models sometimes had tips that were to stiff for some aplications. The IM700 was Lamiglas' answer to the Loomis IMX blanks. They had a reputation of being a more robust blank than the old IMX with similar characteristics and balance.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 10:32AM

Andy:

What I indicated, and am thankful you clairified, was a brief overview, not taking into consideration the origins of graphite where I am sure there was a meritorious designation given, that had a direct corresponding retaltionship to the virtues inheritant in the constituent components. What I refered to as hype (and not all companies deal in such endeavors) was the more recent post wall street (advertizing) gimictry/salesmanship now assigned to most components. The site indicate is indeed note worthy to the inquiry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster