I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loaners or Demos, Do you ?
Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 07:47AM

I have never read that any one here has offered loaners or demo rods for prospective customers to fish with. I realize there can be some problems, damage etc. Not to mention the fact that the rod may never come back. I willingly loan rods to well known customers, no problem. How 'bout a loaner deposit of $100 (depending on material costs) for people we don't have a history
with ? Do you do anything along these lines ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loaners or Demos, Do you ?
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 09:08AM

I have a number of loaner rods in the most popular blank models and actions that are sold in my shop. I found this very helpful with the angler that wants a specialty rod for a specific type of fishing, but wants to try it first. I do not require a deposit. I have a verbal agreement that if they break it and bring back the pieces they owe me the cost of the parts. If they loose it entirely they owe me retail cost.

the only breakage problem I had in 15 years of doing this, was with the US Postal Service breaking a set of planer board trolling rods and the heavy PVC pipe they were in. It was insured for retail so I got my money back.

The REAL problem I have is that the customer wants to buy the shop/loaner rod instead of me building them a new one. I am constantly replacing shop/loaner rods. Guess that really isn't a problem now is it.

Buzz

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 11:12AM

Buzz,
I have some of the same problem........Seems like I am always making display rods to replace the one that I sold.........I quit giving customers a break on the price for the display rod on that account.......I had one broken and the customer bought it and another one.........Loaners and display rods are a good idea in my opinion. At least after we find out a budget we have another starting point.........Yall have a nice day......

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 11:35AM

Richard,
Another point I forgot to add in the first post, is if you ever had to convince someone about using the spiral wrap instead of guides-on-top the demo rod is the way to go. I have 3 musky demo rods, the only time I ever see them is in the winter.
Buzz

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2006 04:41PM

If you can afford to put a couple loaner rods into your line up, it's probably a pretty darn good idea. Expect to have one broken now and then, but keep in mind that this is at least a business expense (parts and labor) so you're never out an entire rod. In the long run, a couple such rods might sell more than a few for you each year.

The mention of the spiral loaner is also a great idea. Most fishermen will accept it if they can actually experience how much better they fish.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 09:30PM

I agree. If you can do it, do it! I have yet for anyone to break a loaner except myself. Then again I break at least 5 a year min., and that is why I got into this just so I could break a rod and make it better.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: June 25, 2006 09:30PM

The problem I had with loaners wasn't breakage, it was getting them back. I had two in FL that I had a @#$%& of a time tracking down, finally right before I moved I had to swing by the guys' places and try to pick them up after several dozen phone calls. How to prevent this?

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster