I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Differences in building fly vs. casting/spinning rods
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 01:37PM

Well I have replaced all my factory casting and spinning rods with my own builds. Just sold & shipped the last of my Loomis factory built rods this morning.

Now I want to start building replacements for my factory fly rods. I'm not sure why but the is something intimidating with the thought of building a fly rod.

What subtle differences do I need to plan for or watch out for as I begin? I understand that I need to spine each section and wrap ferrule areas. Is the rest of it the same? I think it's the fact that a fly rod seems so much more delicate that I'm hesitant.

Thanks for any insight!

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Differences in building fly vs. casting/spinning rods
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 01:41PM

Other than not having a butt grip to install, everything else is exactly the same.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 01:48PM

Keith,
You really shouldn't feel so reluctant in building a fly rod. One factor you may want to consider is uplocking or down locking reel seat as that will change the feel of the rod. is the blank tip heavy and then you may want to go with a down locking or if you can arrange the handle and reelseat in a way that you can still use a up locking reel seat. The guides can be confusing in what to choose from. Just take in affect that snake guides will stiffen up the rod as you are wrapping two feet as appose to single foot. Do you want single foot wire or single foot ceramic insert. If you want smoothness and distant the ceramic insert single foot is the way to go, but if you are getting into the heavier line wts. then you should probably choose the double foot snake guides. The stripper guides what size to choose, some rather go one size larger as it helps get the line out faster. Now onto action are you looking for a moderate fast action or are you a good fly fisherman and want a fast or extra fast action fly rod. Those are some of the things that I ask my customers when they are wanting me to build them one or when I have customers like yourself calling in to pick out a blank for themselves. I always ask them what is your price range first then go down the line with them and pick different manufactures and tell why one is better than the other, then they have the final say in the whole matter. I hope this helps you and not make you so afraid or should I say concerned about building a fly rod. As once you build either a fly rod or casting or spinning there really isn't to much different.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 02:31PM

Thanks for the input!

I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "good" fly caster by any means... how about "fair." I would call my style ugly but fairly effective. ...lol I am going to build 3 or 4 flyrods. Most likely a (3wt or) 4wt for trout and small waters and then either a 6wt or 7wt for largemouth/smallmouth bass and low wind saltwater days and an 8wt or 9wt for saltwater and largemouth. Currently I have a 5, 7,8 and 9 weights.

I hadn't considered the up vs. down locking reel seat yet. I would like to use single foot ceramic guides mostly for less wrapping. Blanks are still up in the air. I think I like the forecast blank for the lighter rod as I seem to cast the lighter weights better with more of a mod action. (and it will be the least used of the fly rods so the forecast is easier on the wallet) Not sure yet on the others. I will want something probably a little faster tip for the heavier weights since they will be used in windy conditions and usually with large flies. Any suggestions on good blanks to look at in the $ ?? - $100 range?

Thanks again,

Keith

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 03:04PM

Dan Craft's Sig V or new fast tip blanks are great, but may be slightly over your $100 target.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 05:43PM

For heavier weight fly rods I still like to add on a 3" fighting butt to keep the reel out of the dirt when I stand my outfit up against a tree..Try to downsize guides going over a ferrule section, don't downsize before a ferrule as this can lead to line slap and the friction gained from line slap far exceeds puting on an extra guide. Use the smallest guide ring size possible on the run out to the tip that YOUR particular terminal tackle knots will pass through, usually 7's maybe 8's on the 10 wt.+ rodsand 6's if your real lucky and use very refined connections on lower wt rods.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 01:23PM

If you are turning your own grips you have many wonderful ways to customize your rods. One detail I pay special attention to on fly rods is the circumference of the grip. I personally findlarger diemeter grips far more comfortable over the course of a day's fishing. There seems to be some scientific support for this which shows that one's muscles are less stressed when gripping a wider object. I use larger reel seats on spin and casting rods for the same reason.
Just something you may find helpful.
Good luck with your builds.
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster