I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First rod ?
Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.caltel.com)
Date: June 22, 2006 09:28AM

This is my first rod, I have the handle done and am starting to play with the giudes.
The tip top I am using is a ICMNST and it has a little tab comming off it-I would guess to wrap. My question is do I wrap just to the tube?(but the tube not on top) Which direction to wrap towards the tip or away? I hope you all understand my ?
Thanks Jack

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First rod ?
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 09:41AM

Wrap just up to the tube. Guides / tops are wraped from the blank up the guide foot, the same is done on a tip top start a short measured distance away then wrap towards the top.

Its good to install the tip top, then go to the other end and wrap the 1st guide, then the middle guide and aftervthat work outwrad from that middle guide.

Some put the tip top on , then wrap the middle guide and after that, the guides on either side of the middle guide, working progressively outward, to keep the blank in a balance when hand wrapping without a support structure.

Guides can be slid arpund the rod balnk even when tied before CP is applied. You should not be wrapping guides so tight that they can not be moved or repositioned for straightness

Date: June 22, 2006 09:47AM

Thanks,
OK ,I am not using a winding check And just going to wrap thread to the grip maybe 3/4"-1" ? Do I wrap towards the grip?
Thanks Jack

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 22, 2006 10:08AM

Jack - Wrap OVER the Tab-foot of this ICMNST Tip-Top, but it is NOT necessary to wrap any further up or over the Tube itself.

As with any Guide Foot, it is recommended to start the Wrap on the Rod Blank, moving toward the Guide Toe. Then UP the Toe-ramp and toward the Guide Ring (Tip-Top Ring in your case). Pack the Threads on the Rod Blank TOWARD the Toe. Pack the Threads on the FOOT BODY TOWARD the TOE also.

I don't have a pictuire of your ICMNST in front of me. But like any Guide Wrap, do not wrap so far up the frame and supporting Ring Legs (Guides) or Ring Arms (Tip-Tops) that the Thread starts looking like a high tension guy-wire holding down a telephone pole. Keep the Thread on the BODY of the TabFoot toward the heel, and do not let it get exposed to impact or cutting with a high-flying ascent up the Ring Arms.

The TabFoot on the newer Tip-Tops lets you decide if you want to use (Glue + Thread) to hold the Tip-Top in place. Or if you want to try Thread only, for a less complicated field repair in the case of a cracked Ring.

MAINLY, the TabFoot when wrapped keeps the Tip-Top from rotating if the glue- adhesive should somehow fail. Using both Glue and Thread is probably how most rod-builders would mount these Tip-Tops. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Date: June 22, 2006 10:17AM

Thank you---Thank you---Thank you

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 22, 2006 10:34AM

Jack, One thing that wasn't mentioned. Guide foot prep is a VERY important step that needs to be done first. I normally install Tip first and use it to line up all of the other guides and then temp attach all the guides using the New Guide Concept method, do static deflection (Check Library at top of page) and finaslly wrap the guides starting with the 1st (butt guide) and work towards the tip.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 10:55AM

Jack, I don't think anyone answered your questions about which direction to wrap in. For wrapping the tip-top and the butt wrap, start at the top or grip and wrap away from it. This will allow you to pack the wraps tight to the top or grip. If you wrapped the opposite direction when you did the pull through, you would end up creating a gap at the top or grip.

Hope that helped!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 22, 2006 12:53PM

Oops!! You're right Ryan. I didn't even mention that

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 22, 2006 03:00PM

GENERAL QUESTION: -(Not to Hijack, but ...)-
With these Bayonet-Foot Tip-Tops, do the Foot Bottoms LAY FLUSH with the Rod Blank?

From the photographs I have seen, it is hard to tell:

If the Foot is extended FROM the Tube Wall, and has the same RADIUS of curvature underneath as the Radius for the Tube Axis;

Or if the Foot is fused onto the TOP of the Tube, leaving a bit of an AIR-GAP under the Foot, equal to the thickness of the Tube Wall?

Is it better to bend down the Foot a bit, or use a thin underwrap, as a space-filler, ... or the usual, "It depends, ..." ... Thanks, -Cliff+++

Date: June 22, 2006 04:57PM

Thanks for the info Ryan, I was thinking from the grip out and the same on the tip top to keep it tight but the tip top I am using has a foot like a guide so I don't know if it is better to wrap up the foot like a guide or start at the tip top (to keep tight) and go down the foor. I was concerned about the tie off that is why I am asking.
Thanks for everyones help.
Jack

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 06:45AM

I've never used that style of tip top, but looking at them, I would think it would be difficult to wrap from the tip down and manage to keep the thread packed tightly. I'm sure you are going to need to prep that guide too.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 06:48PM

Cliff...That is exactly what I was wondering as well...Building a surf rod that call for one of those silly tips but I have never held one let alone wrapped one and found myself wondering how they work.

Derek

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: June 23, 2006 07:15PM

On my top the (Bayonet) Is not fused to the top of the tube so As you wrap it sits tight to the blank.(ICMNST)
Jack

Date: June 23, 2006 09:31PM

Jack said: On my ICMNST Tip-Top, the Bayonet-Foot is not fused to the top of the tube. So, as you wrap, it sits tight to the blank. ...
Thanks, Jack. -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster