I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing silicon
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.Red-217-127-51.staticIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 07:12AM

Dear friends,

I ALWAYS have problems with finish. Fisheyes (sometimes whaleeyes) always appear in my finish. I've tried different finish brands and, of course, this is not because of the finish itself.

I'm using disposable brushes, disposable plastic cups and syringes all them from FlexCoat. Brushes and cups are still from the first "batch".

I'm afraid these problems are because there is some source of silicon, but I cannot find it. Maybe there was some wrong production batch for brushes and/or cups.

The question is that, once the problem appears, wich is the best way to minimize it between finish layers?. Sanding? Wipping with acetone?. Any other idea?.

Best regards,

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing silicon
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2006 07:40AM

Wiping with acetone or any other solvent, for that matter, can cause fisheyes in your finish.

Is it possible for you to take a photo of your finish coat and post it on the photo board? I think we could better tell what we're dealing with if we could actually see it.

I'm not sure your problem has anything tod with the brushes and cups you have now, but for the heck of it, go buy a cheap, glass shot cup and a cheap flat ox or camel hair brush. Use those and see if it makes any difference. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

If the problem is from silicone, I would tend to think it's something in your shop. Are you working near a car that has any sort of silicone product on the interior or the tires? Is your wife using any sort of cleaner in the area that might be causing this?

You're just going to have to eliminate each possiblity one step at a time.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: June 21, 2006 11:52AM

If you work in the living section of the home and not the basement or garage furniture polish can be a concern.Especially the spray type.It is amazing how far air borne silicone will travel.We had a concern in or paint shop that originated in the mechanical shop 200 feet across the parking lot.With the wind blowing the right way in can cause problems.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Re: Removing silicone
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.ipcom.comunitel.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 12:44PM

I'll try with a new brush and a new cup and I'll revert.

I work in my office that is almost 100% for rod building. So I don't use sprays or any other agent that I think that can be "dangerous". No windows, so no problems from outside.

Can high huumidity producy this?

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 04:12AM

Daniel,

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your finish and fish eyes....................but on the other hand its good to hear you are well and back building rods. I always enjoy seeing your work when you post it. I think high humidity could possibly be a factor. I know when I was a spray painter, I always has problems with fish eyes in my clear coat lacquer when the humidity was high. I would suggest shooting an e-mail to FC and see what their chemists have to say about your problem.

Take cake.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 04:12AM

Daniel,

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your finish and fish eyes....................but on the other hand its good to hear you are well and back building rods. I always enjoy seeing your work when you post it. I think high humidity could possibly be a factor. I know when I was a spray painter, I always has problems with fish eyes in my clear coat lacquer when the humidity was high. I would suggest shooting an e-mail to FC and see what their chemists have to say about your problem.

Take cake.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: June 22, 2006 06:21PM

Another question.Do you run the thread through your fingers when wrapping or through a tension device?If you use after shave it sometimes contains silicone or maybe some other substance that your hands come in contact with.I had heard of a body shop that had a concern and it was originating from the Lance Armstrong bracelets (Live Strong)that so many wor e to support the cancer society.They were made of silicone based whatever and caused a problem.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster