I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

factory warranty
Posted by: Howard Lee (69.62.143.---)
Date: June 21, 2006 12:20AM

I posted earlier about rebuilding a Loomis IMX flyrod and I was wondering about the warranty if I scraped the factory decal off of the blank? If that voids the warranty, how would I go about replacing the cork handle on this flyrod, being that there is a hook keeper and and extra layer of epoxy on the area where the company logo is? Thanks in advance again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: factory warranty
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 01:29AM

I could be wrong, but I believe anytime you change or alter a factory rod, it will void the warranty. I think you would have to send it to them and have them do the repairs to keep the warranty intact. Just a guess on this one, but I could not imagine them covering non factory repairs unless you were an authorized dealer/repair shop.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.238.183.35.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 01:41AM

Howard - I don't mean to be impertinent, but what's the point of worrying about the warranty in any case? What I mean is, I think the warranty applies to the rod you bought. I think the minute you mess with it in a substantial way, except to have it repaired, you just voided the warranty. You might want to call Loomis directly - they're pretty nice folks to talk to - and ask 'em, but I'd bet that's the answer you'd get. You're worried about the decal, and I think you need to worry about the effect of messing with the major parts of the rod itself. If you take the hood ornament off a car, that doesn't void the warranty. If you mess with the engine, you've got a whole 'nother problem.

I broke a Fenwick blank once, just after I completed budiling it. I'd built it for my daughter. She really wanted the rod. I called Fenwick, since I'd bought the blank from a dealer and they simply referred me directly to Fenwick (how's that for "Customer Service"?). Fenwick wanted the whole rod back (it was a two piece, and the tip section folded) including my stuff and we made a deal (yes, I actually got the name of a real person on their end) that no matter what their decision might be, I'd get my parts back. Fairly quickly, they sent back the handle, the broken tip (with my parts), and a new tip. They wanted to see if the break was due to something I did. It wasn't and they kept their word. This was over 25yrs ago and I don't know if there's anybody there anymore who would even talk to you, instead leaving it up to the dealer or even worse, the distributor; but I don't think Loomis is like that just yet. The difference in my case and yours is that your rod hasn't broken yet.

I'm not a lawyer. I'm just speaking from experience (and common sense) here.

- hope that helps.
Uncle Russ

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2006 02:41AM

Russ,
I must say the the vast majority of the vendors on this site not only have excellent customer service but I have never had any bad experiences since I started using them. I want try mentioning names because I would leave someone out.

Paul,
If you alter a blank or factory rod in anyway then I think the rod is out of warranty......Russ is 100 per cent right in that the people at loomis are great.....
Yall have a good day.......

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 08:00AM

I think the warranty would be affected but after this much time does it really matter?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 10:56AM

Ken is right, you would never get your rod back, the newer ones are a completely different design. Glass scrim, etc.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 01:18PM

Howard:
What may be the true crux of the matter with regard to warranty in this instance is that You bought a USED G-Humis rod and warranties are usually not transferable, so in effect it applies only to the original owner of the rod. I believe the warranty was voided at the point of purchase in this case.

Even when I build a rod for a client, not having a resale license or the ability to buy the blank at a wholesale price, I will have the client buy the blank retail and have it sent to me for custom construction, just to show the original purchase was in their name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2006 02:03PM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.lsanca54.covad.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 03:09PM

Howard,

It's been my experience at Seeker Rods, that any alteration in our factory rods (with the exception of cutting the blank) does not void the warranty. And, in fact, if you Buy a Seeker Factory rod, and strip it down to the blank and rebuid it your way, The blank is covered under our Lifetime limited warranty. Even if you put a ferrule in the middle of that blank, it'll still be covered by the warranty. I believe this issue may be dependant on the Rod manufacturer.

Paul Panzer
Seeker Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2006 03:11PM by Paul Panzer.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2006 05:27PM

It certainly is and I'd say that Seeker has a very lenient warranty policy in that regard according to what you've just stated. Best bet is to ask the manufacturer directly before you do anything that might be in question.

Seeker has always made some great blanks.

Date: June 21, 2006 06:09PM

Howard,

If you break a Seeker factory rod, even if it was done in a car door, You'll only pay a $40. or $50.(plus tax) replacement fee. Which is better than an entire new rod at retail price. But, to alter a blank by an extension in the butt or a ferrule in the middle will not alter or void the warranty. However, If you extend the tip, by whatever means, the warranty will be voided. When you extend the tip with another piece of blank you create shear points and this will cause the blank to fail as it was not created to be that heavy in the tip section.

Paul Panzer

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 09:46PM

My father in-law sent a factory loomis that was bought second hand back
for warrenty replacement due to a break and the rod was replaced with no
questions asked. He did however have to pay shipping and some other type
fee. (around $50 total)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 22, 2006 09:30AM

Yes Loomis had an Expiditer Program once, I am not sure it is still is in existance where $50 was the shipping/handling fee involved. If Loomis has a transferrable warranty they would be one of the few MFG's that allow such a cause in their warranty.

As for the slash a Seeker rod/blank and still maintain a warranty, that has to be a industry rarity and some what bass-ackwards to my way of thinkjng with regard to how loads could effect a rod. Seems to me a Mfg rates the entire rod to hold up under a given load, cutting off some of the blank means the same load now has to be absorbed with less MFG product and more subject to failure than adding a butt extension to the rod which allows the same load to be spread out over a now greater area. Seeker must make a good rod to support a warranty like that

Date: June 23, 2006 09:59AM

Chris,

The pattern placements/design accompanied with mandrel design combine with the material(glass/graphite) ensure a strong and dependable rod. All rods will break if used improperly or purposely abused. At Seeker Rods each pattern for a blank has been designed longer than the specific rod the patterns will produce. Once the rod is baked and pulled off the mandrel, it's wet sanded and trimmed, first from the tip to achieve the specific tip size, then off the butt to achieve the overall length of the specific rod model. This procedure doesn't change the action of the rod except for the tip size. For instance if a CLB804 (Composite Live Bait) blank pattern is cut, it's usually cut at 100" long, but when the blank is finished it'll be 8'. At Seeker we don't encourage you to cut a perfectly good blank in half and install a ferrule(which creates new shear points) needlessly, but sometimes it may be absolutely necessary. Generally, if your honest about it, and you don't give us a line like "my dog chewed the tip off", we are very lenient with our replacement policy. We try to be accomadating to all fishermen, weather your catching 3 lb Rainbow trout on a river, or catching 300 lb. yellowfin tuna off of mexico. Ask Tom Kirkman, He's been to Seeker rods.

Paul Panzer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster