I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NCP or CP...what do you use & why
Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 10:50AM

I don't do decorative wraps often and want to know....on under wraps and for decorative wraps....do most people prefer to use CP or just use NCP thread.

I build mostly fly rods and go for mostly the more understated simple elegant wraps. I have a build coming up for my son and am going to make him something flashy...any advise would be appreciated thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCP or CP...what do you use & why
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 11:11AM

You probably have opened a can of worms; there are a lot of strong opinions on this subject.
I usually do use CP, since most of my customers want specific colors. The only thing I have ever used in Gudebrod. From what I have read here, it is one of the most efficient. It took awhile to learn to use it right, without it getting all gummy, but I have it down now.
Just do one coat. Put a drop on with the applicator bottle, then use a little brush to move it around. Don't actually brush it much, or you will get bubbles. I just move it around so all the thread gets a good soaking. If if do get carried away, I blot off the excess with a coffee filter.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 11:30AM

I don't like NCP thread. Looks very "plastic" to me when finished. But in some buttwraps or if I decide not to paint the blank white where I'm working, for white, tan, yellow, blue dun, and other really light colors on a dark background, it has its place. I'm also not a big fan of "transparent" wraps, but those have their place too. Personally, I prefer using CP. I don't like being surprised by color changes.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 11:45AM

I guess my opinion closely follows Mick's. Generally speaking, I normally use CP over regular because it suits my eye but I have no problem with NCP or no CP over regular thread when the situation requires it.

I build more fly rods than anything and I like the traditional, conservative appearance of thread with CP. Each of the threads has a subtle radiance and brilliance all it's own which you can't get with NCP thread. I also use regular thread without CP on occasion; it depends upon the look that I'm trying to achieve. I can tell you that I think there is a better bond of the threads and guide feet to the blank using regular thread without CP. I think you may notice the same thing if you try to do a repair job and need to remove a wrap that's been done using regular thread with no CP. That said, the bond with CP is still plenty strong enough. I rarely use NCP thread except when I'm using white. The thread types can be mixed to good effect if you use your imagination and aren't shy about experimenting a little.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: June 20, 2006 12:29PM

More a matter of taste.. When I pick out a color to use as either a guide wrap or part of a decorative wrap I want it to look pretty much the same when I am done. And to me NCP thread looks dead, no vibrance to it at all.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 01:08PM

The only times I use NCP thread is when I want white to be pure white. The team colors of the University of Alabama are Red & White. When I wrap a rod in these colors I want the white to stand out as much as the red. Even with color preserver white nylon doesn't stand out like NCP white does. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 02:04PM

Thanks guys for all the responses....

I have some Flex coat CP.......wasn't going to use NCP but this just helped confirm what I had planned.

Do any of you prefer one CP over another and why?

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 06:49PM

I guess i'll be the fly in the ointment.......!
I ONLY use NCP. I LOVE the way it looks-kinda like enamel. I HATE CP- NEVER use it!
I find that if you use NCP mixing in matching metallics throughout or, use subtle colour variations within one colour,
you can get a very RICH & Vibrant look- and see the thread. BUT you will have to lay down one thread at a time.
None of the people that have seen my rods has even noticed the NCP or didn't care!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 08:33PM

Ralph has convienced me to never use white NCP again if it has anything to do with the university of alafama! I use orange and blue! If I I use NCP I still apply at least one additional coat of CP. Personally I don't use alot of NCP-It just doesn't look as good to me. I have a couple of rods that I have used white NCP in butt wraps-I'm going look at them again, but no more white for me. I have never used white with red and never intend to unless I can find a sucker from alafama that is is willing to give me several million for it.

War Eagle!!!!!!!!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 08:57PM

Well,

Pit me in the "I don't use CP at all" family. I like the idea of the epoxy soaking into the tunnels of the guide wraps. For this reason, I don't use CP.

I do have some NCP thread and have used them on occasion, but I prefer the regular and that sparkle look it gives once soaked with epoxy. I usually try and account for the darkening of the threads caused by not using CP and go a step lighter in thread color choice to match what is really wanted.

The transparent look is ok by me :)

DR

Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2006 12:15AM

My first couple of decorative wraps, I used NCP thread. There isnt a very big color selection. I have done a couple w/ reg. thread, and found that I like it better. Has a different feel to it. The NCP thread definately feels like it was coated in wax or something. With reg. thread it is smoother to the touch and I am able to pull the threads a lot tighter w/ it. It is all a matter of personal preference I think, as well as what type of look you are going for with that particular wrap.

happy fishin and buildin!

wishn i was fishn...at the beach! <*)}}}><

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 21, 2006 01:01AM

Don't like NCP at all (personal preference) I think that it looks to drab. With 350+ vibrant colors of Madiera plus all of Gudebrod's Nylon why bother. I use CP on everything, including metallic, unless matching on a repair or specifically want a muted translucent wrap. With the millions of rods out there wrapped with CP and trouble free, I just don't think that strength is an issue at all. Heck, Doc Ski alone probably has several hundred HEAVY tuna rods out there all with CP with no strength issues.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.238.183.35.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 01:59AM

I've tried both. I don't use NCP any more because (a) the colors seem limited and (b) I like the trick of using high-build thinned with acetone as the first coat on my wraps, with no CP at all beforehand, which penetrates the threads quite well, eliminates the CP step, and turns most nylone threads a deep, translucent shade that's entirely different from any flat color. This is a trick detailed by Flex Coat in their literature, so it's not special to me. No, I don't do it on every rod, just some.

I've heard of folks using NCP threads for underwraps, but that leads to another problem in that, the color preserver you would otherwise add, also has the benefit of smoothing the underwrap's surface. Two coats does even more of this. It's not that you can't put CP over NCP thread, but it's not quite the same effect.

It's not an argument, it's just an opinion based on my own experiences.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.med.unc.edu)
Date: June 22, 2006 12:08PM

My son Patrick uses both NCP and Maderia thread and always does a practice wrap on a dowel rod. He puts CP (U40) on one third of the wrap, no CP on another third. Then he puts finish on the wrap. It's amazing how vibrant the colors remain using CP, either using NCP tread or regular thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster