I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Curious About Builders (con't)
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 19, 2006 11:45PM

I am a newbie to Rodbuilding since January. My big thing I am curious about what is the average number of rods people make in 1 year. I heard Tom say 2 a year??? I have completed 7 since January and have 2 more that are WIP. I am sure pro's like Cliff Hall are just turning them out left and right....What is the average for a hobbiest vs pro or professional builder?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 07:31PM by Jeffrey Wolfanger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curious About Builders (con't)
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 12:58AM

As many as time and $ permit!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 05:38AM

Jeffery,You may be surprised at the numbers from certain people.Although they are pros at it they simply have to balance their time with other time consuming chores.With me the day job comes first and that can get to be 11 hr days in high 90 degree temps or higher this time of year.Doesnt leave much time or energy for rod building.Tried to work on a cross wrap last night and was seeing double!!!!!The cooler months work slows up a little and rod building picks up.For a number I would say 20 new with 5 to 7 rebuilds sprinkled in.Have been restoring quite a few oldies for friends that have the old rod grandpa gave them for their 12th birthday or something like that.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2006 07:23AM

The average rod builder will build about 2 rods, and over the course of a year he'll fall away from the craft. He won't subscribe to a magazine, join a club or use a website like this one. He's the guy who makes up 90% of the craft's participants during any given year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2006 07:24AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 09:02AM

I do about 6 to 12 per year. I built a website that I haven't published and made business cards that I haven't printed. Why? I don't want to be any busier than I already am. Why did I make them in the first place? Seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm quite happy with where I am now especially because it gives me the time to experiment with all the half baked ideas in my head. My flavor of the month now is playing with wood rods, (many thanks to Tom K.) which is taking a LOT of time, but it is time extremely enjoyably spent.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 11:08AM

I made a website that I DID publish. I used one of the "site in the box" companies, and didn't need to learn HTML or anything. It only costs $7.95 per month, so I have left it up. I really don't think it has brought me any business, but it gives some credibilty, I guess. When you are getting started, this may be important.
I also make my own business cards, using Microsoft Publisher. I use that all the time in my day job, and it only took a few minutes. I just print them up on card stock when I need some. Maybe someday I'll find a fishing printer and trade a rod for some real printing.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.Technip.US)
Date: June 20, 2006 11:40AM

I have averaged over 30 per year for the last few years. But that can be deceptive. I have replaced every rod I own at least once and some twice. I have built rods for friends presents, birthdays, etc. I also see a wrap I really like and have to do one like it or I have an idea as to how I would do it. I also build mostly bass rods but decided I needed to learn to do flyrods since I love to flyfish also. So I built about 10 of those. I have built rods for fun that I give away for raffles and other things. And then I sell a few that I feel like doing. I turned down the last 2 offers to build a rod and passed them on to some one else who built the rod because I was too busy with my day job and also did not particularly want to build a rod at that time. I tell myself that when I retire in a few years, I will build rods a little more steadily but then again I bet I will be just as busy then as I am now with other interests and hobbies (like fishing). I think it is really interesting that the average guy only builds a couple rods a year. I sometimes have to build an idea that I have and dont want to just do it on a 'practice stick'. So far that has been 4-6 per year. I may only build 20 next year but as long as I stay in practice I will be happy. My creativity now comes in spurts....may have something to do with how busy I am at my job.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.Technip.US)
Date: June 20, 2006 11:40AM

I have averaged over 30 per year for the last few years. But that can be deceptive. I have replaced every rod I own at least once and some twice. I have built rods for friends presents, birthdays, etc. I also see a wrap I really like and have to do one like it or I have an idea as to how I would do it. I also build mostly bass rods but decided I needed to learn to do flyrods since I love to flyfish also. So I built about 10 of those. I have built rods for fun that I give away for raffles and other things. And then I sell a few that I feel like doing. I turned down the last 2 offers to build a rod and passed them on to some one else who built the rod because I was too busy with my day job and also did not particularly want to build a rod at that time. I tell myself that when I retire in a few years, I will build rods a little more steadily but then again I bet I will be just as busy then as I am now with other interests and hobbies (like fishing). I think it is really interesting that the average guy only builds a couple rods a year. I sometimes have to build an idea that I have and dont want to just do it on a 'practice stick'. So far that has been 4-6 per year. I may only build 20 next year but as long as I stay in practice I will be happy. My creativity now comes in spurts....may have something to do with how busy I am at my job.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: June 20, 2006 12:25PM

Including Ice Rods I probably built 12 rods last year. I really don't keep track since I am not running a business. Someone asks for a rod and I build it for them. If I start to get busier I am gonna have to start charging more $$$ since it will start to seriously cut into my free time.

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: June 21, 2006 07:35AM

This is my fourth year and now build 15 - 20 rods a year and consider this a great hobby. I sell some of them to associates now but I don't charge much more than my cost. I probably look at the hobby differently than most but I take into account that rodbuilding keeps money in my pocket by becoming a 'cost avoidance' more than a cash producer. The hours it takes to make a rod with a fancy buttwrap and weave add up in a hurry, but I have so much fun at it that there are very few things I would rather do. So I could only speculate how much money I've saved with this hobby instead of another that would require lots of travel and such.

Posted by: jerry christopher (216.115.176.---)
Date: June 22, 2006 09:12AM

i've only been building for about 2 years (minus 6 months when i moved) and i've completed about 7 rods, 2 for me 1 for each of the 2 remaining kids and the other 3 were gifts, 2 of which I found hanging up as art...which i told them wasn't acceptible, if they weren't going to use them i'd take them back.

I don't know how i'd feel about doing one for sale, then its work, and I soooooo hate work.

[www.pulpfishing.net]
~fishing with attitude~

Drop by say Hi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster