I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod "A" too thick for windings on 3wt flyrod ???????
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: June 19, 2006 01:55PM

Hi folks,

in a few days I will start to build up an RX7 7'9 #3, guides ordered are the thin versions of the Pacific Bay snakes . Now the idea is becoming bigger and bigger that the Gudebrod "A"-thread which I usually use on all my projects (between 5wt and 9wt up to now) will be simply too thick for these light and thing guides on such a fine rod.

To make it more complicated I am hesitant to use silk because of the difficulties in in getting really good results ( my own experience...).

Your common two cents please.

Regards from the Baltic Sea,
Ole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod "A" too thick for windings on 3wt flyrod ???????
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: June 19, 2006 02:03PM

I would think size A would be fine, but, REC Components (link to left) advertises Gudebrod 00 regular nylon in a limited number of colors if you want to try something different. Other sponsors may carry it also.

Posted by: Bill Worden (72.174.225.---)
Date: June 19, 2006 05:33PM

Size A will be fine. I have built several 2 wts and a number of 3 wts. with it.

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: June 19, 2006 05:35PM

Size A works fine for me also - all the way from ten wt to one wt blanks

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: June 19, 2006 05:42PM

Also:
Last that I heard is that REC Components (link to left) does not cary Gudebrod 00 thread anymore.
Does anyone??? Does Gudebrod even make it anymore????

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 19, 2006 06:32PM

The last time I ordered 00 thread from Custom Tackle Supply they had it for me. Whether or not they still have 00 thread now is a question. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: June 19, 2006 08:22PM

You'll be fine with A thread. I've built all the way down to 2 weights and the A thread does splendidly. Excuse me if I'm reading something into your post that wasn't intended but, if weight is a concern, you may want to reconsider and go with single foot snake guides on a fly rod that light. It will eliminate a little weight and allow your blank to flex more freely. There's nothing wrong with the snake guides and there have been lots of discussion here over time comparing the traditional snake guides to the single foot varieties.....just wanted to mention it in the event the information is useful.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: June 19, 2006 09:58PM

Jan, as others have said, size A will be excellent. I've built several on that same blank that you are mentioning. It is a rather powerful 3 wt and many have felt that it will perform better with a 4 wt line in normal casting distances unless you aerialize a lot of line. Check the CC measurements as it shows this won't be a wet noodle by any means.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 06:53AM

Jan,
Rob makes a very good point about this blank. For me, the RX7 7'9" 3wt I build around three years ago does not cast a three weight comfortably up to 30'. I have had to use a four weight (I fish Double Tapers) to enjoy the rod on smallish trout streams. I do enjoy the rod, but not with a three weight line. The CCS data on this blank doesn't lie.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 07:02AM

Jan,
"A" thread will work fine but if you want something a little smaller consider silk. The gossmer silk used for bamboo rods is about right for what you have envisioned. Incidently I have have had the same experience with that blank as Jeff has and agree it works better with a 4 wt line.

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: June 20, 2006 04:19PM

Thank you for all your comments. I will stay with the classic "Gudebrod A". Based on my look to th eCC data site I was aware of that the blank is more towards 4 than 3 but that si more than fine with me.

Again thanks to everybody for help.

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: robert schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 08:49AM

If reducing weight is your intention use A thread and seal with two coats of lacquer instead of epoxy. I think the weight saving would equal a thinner thread while maintaining strength... Goodluck ... Bob.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: June 21, 2006 11:33AM

Neal's Fishing Products has the 00 size nylon thread in stock. we only have it in the 100 yd spools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster