I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Curious about Builders
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 01:14PM

A recent thread made me curious about the builders who visit this site. How many are full time builders, how many actually support themselves from building rods, How many have building as their sole income? How many of you are a business but mainly sell to support their addiction and maybe pay for some "Toys" or a few fishing trips and how many are strictly "Hobby" builders who just love the craft??

This could be a very enlightening thread. Let us know just what your level of activity/participation is!!!!

For me, it's a love of the craft and being able to experiment and be creative without having any artistic ability, painting, drawing, etc) I hope to sellke enough to continue in the craft without ending up in Divorce court, to finance my addiction, pay for trip to the big show and a few fishing trips.
Let's hear from the rest of you

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2006 01:16PM by Mike Barkley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curious about Builders
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.3c.5d45.static.theplanet.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 01:23PM

I sell about 25 rods per year. Used to sell more but my recent move to the southeast cut my customer base. I only try to make a few extra bucks to pay for some of my own fishing trips. Nothing elaborate. If I can make a couple thousand a year in profit I'm fine with that.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 02:03PM

I have a "real" job.

I build 35 - 50 rods per year as a sideline business. That allows me to buy wholesale and try out more stuff. Plus pays for all the crap I hate paying for. Internet, cell phone, printer ink...

First and foremost I like to work with my hands. Bachelors degree in Technical Illustration/Graphic Design with an emphasis in Model Building. 2 years as an architectural model maker, 10 years designing and building high end custom furniture. Rod building was easy to fall in love with and it satisfies my creative and hands-on needs. Plus its directly related to a pass time I love.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 02:19PM

I too have a real job, about 20 rods a year. I love to fish and the Coast Guard gave me a chance to fish all over. Rodbuilding became a habit on long patrols. Retired now, and work to support the habit.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 02:33PM

Hobbyist. I build a couple of rods a year mainly for myself, and repairs for me and my friends. Maybe someday I can make some money, LOL. Or at least break even.

Tony

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 03:15PM

I'm an outwrapper. I wrap for four different companies doing about 100 to 150 rods per week. I also do an occasional custom rod.

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 03:16PM

I build about 25-50 per year and i just pay the bills and buy more new suff . I just love doing it, selling is 2nd.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 03:41PM

It is purely a labor of love for me - done at the hobbyist level - that said it certainly helps to pay for some trips and toys as well. Done around the real job and the family activities. But I have an intense curiousity for it and am always looking for ways to improve the end product. I think it makes me better at rod building but also helps me to produce more fish - as well as friends who are good sticks (when they are using my rods of course!) ;) I will say that I get more rod-building done in the winter than any other time of the year. Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 04:04PM

I'm a hobbiest but now that I have decided on a business name I intend to
get a small business licence ( mainly so I can buy whole sale ) and maybe
build more than the occational customer rod. I have only sold about 5 or 6
rods ordered by customers who were not friends or family. I build about a
rod a month except for the holiday season or birthday rush!

I'm not only addicted to building a great performing rod. I'm really addicted to
thread art and the other artistic forms. ( I can't even draw a stick man on paper!)
Feather work, marbling, inlays, weaves, and handle work really fasinate me
and I can't get enough of it!! I have been doing crosswraps for years but the nice
graphic patterns like Billy V. and others have shown me by posting on the photo
page just feed my addiction with a shovel!

I have often thought about having a shop in some out of the way hot spot where
I could sell rods, tackle, bait, and do repairs along with guided trips. That would
be the day! However, having to builds rods to support my family may take the FUN
out of it I fear. Who knows?

I get just as much enjoyment out of working with others with their rod building
endevors and showing them the tricks I have learned and learning from them as well.

I would not concider myself addicted to the internet but this site is another matter entirely!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 04:19PM

I have been doing this about 1 1/2 years, and have made a few over 50 rods. This year so far, have sold 30. I started out by repairing a couple of old rods, then made a couple for myself. A fella I work with asked me if I would make him a couple with Auburn Univ. wraps for his nephews, and I said "sure".
I have a regular industrial sales/marketing job, and only work on rods on weekends and the rare nights I am home. Accordingly, I don't want to get too much rod business. One week I sold 7 rods, and for the next couple of weeks it about killed me.
I have run all kinds of numbers, and don't think it would be possible for me to pay my mortgage and get the last two kids through college on what I could make building rods. There's just not enough hours in the week to make enough money. But, I hope to retire someday (like Mike) and it would be nice to be well established and take in a little extra money.
So far, I have only thought about getting into the real fancy stuff like marbeling, weaving, etc. I usually do a simple open butt wrap on all rods, and have gotten this down where it takes less than an hour. So far, I haven't had the time to invest in learning the real fancy stuff. I really don't see how it would pay, honestly. But, it would be nice to know more about this.

Steve Broadwell

Posted by: John Sams (66.98.131.---)
Date: June 18, 2006 04:26PM

Nah no custom rod sales for me anymore. Just a few rods each year for me and the family to use. Still enjoy it but don't build as much as I used to.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 05:30PM

Rod building to me is like aviation: In order make a million you have to spend two million.
I build for my friends and myself or anyone willing to see it my way. I originally started because I was trying to duplicate a custom rod made for me years ago.
Fishing and catching fish with a rod I made or watching my friends enjoy a good fight keeps me heading back to the bench.
Also, making a trip to Mudhole sealed my fate.

Posted by: Michael Friske (---.static.sprn.tx.charter.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 05:52PM

New to the addiction, but am looking at maybe in a year or so to maybe start doing it on the side with my wife and possibly another rod builder friend of mine and turning it in to a business. I live in a good area for it. I just have a lot more to learn before I put my name on a rod that I would charge money for. I also want to look in to weaving but I have a ways to go for that. Thanx for all of the help that is so easily gathered on this site.

Michael Friske

The secret to fishing is fish where the fish are!!!

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 06:52PM

" For me, it's a love of the craft and being able to experiment and be creative without having any artistic ability, painting, drawing, etc) I hope to sell enough to continue in the craft without ending up in Divorce court, to finance my addiction, pay for trip to the big show and a few fishing trips. "

" Mike
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!! "

I could not have said it better. I build about 20-30 per year. Got a tax number sp I could do this as a part time bussiness. It has just recently gone from a hobby to this. Guess my habbit has gone to the next step..lol Rob builders annon, here I come

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 07:11PM

I build on the Hobbist level, I have sold a Half a dozen to friends. Have built several Stand-up 50# class rods as donations(Raffles) for worthy causes

I do not build anything fancy, just working Rods Mostly Surf sticks and Stand-ups

Since 1994

Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 07:17PM

For me, I have a LOVE for the craft. At the hobby stage now, but DEFINATELY want to take it to the business level. And I think of it as an even cooler endeavor w/ my husband and a friend of ours. I take MUCH pride in my work, but do not know that I would want to make a business of it just yet. I have learned quite a bit already (sponge stage), but still have so much more still to soak in. But would love to see people's reactions to a rod that I built. Makes it all worth while. All in all, isnt that why we all do this craft that we LOVE to begin with? Tis the common ground for all of us ending up here? :) Also, if I am going to go into business, it would be full on so my husband can work from home too. I just want him to have a job where is happy doing what he loves, and if this is it, then so be it. All the better cuz I love it too. :)

wishn i was fishn...at the beach! <*)}}}><

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2006 07:32PM by lori friske.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 07:29PM

I'm also a hobby builder. I've sold a few, but made only a few dollars since I buy components at the retail level, or on @#$%&. One good thing that's come of this, is that I now repair rods for my favorite fly shop, and that definately has it's benefits. I'm "in", and now get information that is not generally available to everyday customers.

I've thought about taking it to the next level and opening a business, but that's not in my immediate future. I work too much at a job that pays much more, however less satisfying.

Dave

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.41.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 08:11PM

These days, I'd say I'm a hobbyist who might turn an extra buck here and there. Doing it cuz I HAD too took the fun out of it. Doing it cuz I WANT to, made it fun again. That and coming across this place and RMM. Burning out isn't fun. I'm not going to do it again! I like being able to enjoy my craft, not letting my craft rule my free time.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.2.103.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 08:31PM

Like most of the people who have responded, I started out trying to build better rods than I saw in tackle shops (before K world and Wally World). That would be around 1959. In those days we had very little variety in rod blanks and components. Harnell, Conolon, and SilaFlex were just about the only maufacturers of fiberglass blanks. We used nickel silver ferrules for high end rods and either chrome plated brass or anodized aluminum ferrues for lower end rods. We used liquid rod cement for gluing components and varnish was the only finish available. Despite its weaknesses, varnish is still used particularly by split bamboo builders.

Over the years I sold a few rods each year and also built for myself and family. While in college, I did repair work to make a bit of money. I even had an opportunity to rebuild a bamboo rod that had come unglued. Once I had a "real" job, my rod building production declined. Finally sometime in the early nineties, "She who must be obeyed" and who I love stil, suggested that I had at least two rods for each finger and ought to stop. At that time, my real job also began to consume me and I stopped for about 10 years or so. In addition I had two rod builds that affected my decision. I tried to use one of the early epoxy finishes and the result was horrendous. My butt wrap area looked like one of those old fashion wash boards. Also some time during that hiatus, I also did one build using Perma Gloss when it first came out and liked it. In 2002 I retired from my "real" job and then accepted a temporary teaching position at Humboldt State University, my alma mater. In 2004 I decided to retire permanently. In 2004 I returned to rod building as a hobby and also decided to try selling rods not so much to support myself, but to afford my addiction.

Now I have two major defects (and many other more minor ones). I am new tech junky. New stuff attracts me. I decidied that I had to master epoxy finishes. I still haven't, but I will continue to try. My second defect is that new toys (tools) are a very strong attractant-moth to a flame attraction. These defects affect my rod building as you might imagine. Until I master epxoy finishes, I am using Diamondite, which I found easier to use. Recently Tom Kirkman suggested KlassKote and I will trying that finish shortly.

Since I haven't mastered epoxy finishes, I have been reluctant to accept new customers until I can produce the quality of finish that meets my criteria. (My wife just read this as I was writing and indicated that I have a few other defects--one of which is that I spend more time on this rod forum than I do with her. ) Anyway I have been doing this for a lot of years and I keep learning new things and my rods continue to improve. I also have been overwhelmed by the willingness of people on this forum to help one another become better builders. Joe Kassuba spent an afternoon with me last winter showing me how he applies epoxy. That kind of kindness is becoming very rare in our huury-up society. Because of Rodbuilder magazine and my own addiction, I want to put wood grips on my rods--these grips are really beautiful. In addition, I think there are more opportunities for expanding one's creative activities with wood compared to cork.

Thanks for all the help and for your company--even if it is only in the virtual world.

Best regards,
Mike Blomme

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2006 08:48PM

Mike,

If you can make it to the International Custom Rod Building Exposition this year, I will make it a personal goal to see that before you leave you have mastered the use of epoxy finish. You can do it and I will see to it that you do. It's not at all hard.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster