I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

South bend boo fly rods.
Posted by: Nick Nalbone (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 12:15PM

I have wanted a bamboo fly rod for a while, and looked on @#$%&. There are a lot! I see a lot of South bend and Monague, which is better? Most of these people find them and dont know what their worth, so I figure if I can find a good rod, at least in fairly good condition, I can fix it up.

Seems like a good way to get a good rod, as these are cheeper than a new "modern" rod

different strokes for different folks, different flys for different guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: South bend boo fly rods.
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 02:06PM

for the sake of discussion, why would you want a bamboo fly rod nick?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 02:25PM

I agree an inexpensive Forecast, Tiger Eye, etc rod would be a better value in my opinion. I think you really have to love bamboo to put up with the extra stuff involved.

Posted by: Nick Nalbone (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 04:02PM

Well, I want to try one out, see how they compare. I hear so many people rave about their 'boos. I also need a project. Over the winter I tie flys, a lot of em too. So during the summer I want something to do(when I'm not fishing). The forecast that I built is a great first rod, but it only took me 4 days to build. I need a real project, and I thought something like restoring a classic bamboo rod to its prime would be good, and cheap, as I have most of the tools and such to work with.

Date: June 18, 2006 07:33PM

ok, good answer nick! (chuckling ;-)

here's why i asked. i'm getting into bamboo myself, but at this point, purely at the research level. well, except for one glorious month's summer fling, fishing a new dickerson 6611 on small trout streams last season. when people rave about their bamboo rods ("classic" or otherwise) they are not usually referring to south bend or montague bamboo fly rods. south bend made maybe one or two models in a very short time span which rose above all of their other models, but for the most part, they were junk in terms of "experiencing bamboo." montague maybe even worse.

at one point, fly rods were largely made of bamboo, hence the abundance on @#$%&. but these were not fine bamboo rods. in fact, the majority of these cheap rods would probably turn people away from the idea that bamboo could possibly make a nice fly rod.

if you're looking for a project, bamboo just might be it. but you'll have to do some more research on the history of bamboo rods. southbends and montagues would surely famliarize you with the basic materials in bamboo fly rods, but they are definitely NOT representative of fine bamboo.

now, i may be completely off, but i doubt it. for those more knowledgeable, please correct anything i have said. this is just stuff i've gathered by reading over the past year.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 07:35PM

I've always wondered about fishing with bamboo, but not enought to spend the enormous amount of money (compared to graphite, at least). What I did was to buy a blank on @#$%&. That was three months ago and I still haven't finished the doggone thing! All I had to do was glue the grip and seat, wrap and varnish. It came to me with a permanent finish so it doesn't have to be dipped. Total cost about $425, including topline tube and bag.

I'm taking my time with it, and making sure it's right the first time.

Dave

Posted by: tim hough (71.224.112.---)
Date: June 18, 2006 07:39PM

In general, most would consider the South Bend superior in craftsmanship to most Montague rods. However, Montague made so many different rods with so many differing amounts of craftsmanship, it would pay to read up a bit on what is high end and worthwhile and what are nothing more than fancy tomato plant stakes. Some high end Montagues are very sought after and command a sought after price tag. A Montague might be a good choice for a first 'boo project, they are plentiful and relatively (for bamboo) inexpensive...also consider a Horrocks-Ibbotson rod, they were to Montague what Ford is to Chevy...competitors with very similar products and prices.

Good Luck,

Tim

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.2.103.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 08:47PM

Nick,
I think you are getting good advice here. Tim's comments were quite telling. Years ago I picked up two Montague bamboo fly rods at a yard sale for just about nothing. One rod has steel guides and chrome plated brass ferrules and reel seat and pretty shoddy workmanship. The other has an agate stripping guide, nickel silver ferrule, and a nickel silver reel seat. They appear to be different in their overall quality.

If you want to develop some skills at rebuilding a bamboo rod, these types of rods are an inexpensive way to start. You just have to keep in mind, that you will not be able to convert a sow's ear into a silken purse. Try to select a rod that has the glue intact. If the pieces of bambood have separated, your work will be much more difficult. It is possible to reglue them without the proper clamps, but it is not as easy.

Good luck,

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.nas16.kansas-city2.mo.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: June 19, 2006 03:24AM

Morning gentlemen,,

1st. Montague and South Bend both are really lower end rods as a whole, Montague however made a very high end line as well, (collectable in todays market) With bamboo, you got to remember that all rods are created equal to an extent. (all are 6 sided, tapered and glued up pieces of bamboo) Both of the names you are refering to were very high production rod making companies. The value of both are about the same. Unfortunately, Montague is known for their bad ferrules, you buy a Monty, you are just about guaranteed to have bad (cracked) ferrule. These ferrules are what we call step down ferrules, which of course are no longer made (execpt by a few fellows that get paid well for their efforts)

If I were asked for an opinion as to which rod or better yet which company to look for a rod on @#$%& or anywhere else, the name would be Heddon. Heddon was the highest overall quality rod made durning the high production hey days of bamboo. They had the most consistant quality , no matter which model they made, all were kept to a high standard. Heddon too had some problems with there ferrules from time to time, mostly do to where the pinning took place, but for the most part, I have found very few problems with Heddon vs. any other "affordable" rod. And in the case of ferrule replacement, you would be able to replace their ferrule for less money than the step downs.

Another thing I would like to add for the ones that wonder why someone would want a bamboo rod,,, You need to fish one to know why you need one. There is no other fly rod material that can match the feel of bamboo. That is why some customers wait up to 2 years for their "boo stick"

In closing, if you do pick something up on @#$%&, you want all section to be the same length, you also want 2 tip sections. (then at least you got something to work with that would be worthwhile) FORGET the single tip rod. Also, ask if the ferrule are well fitted, if they "pop" when taken apart, ask if there is any delamination on the bamboo.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions in this area, or if you would like some coaching on the "project rod" ([email protected])

Just my 2¢ worth.

Tight lines to all ~ ~

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: June 19, 2006 04:26PM

southbend rods were the "blue collar" rods of their day. most are 8 1/2 to 9 feet in length and somewhat heavy. bamboo is a wonderful material for rod making in the hands of a good maker. you would be better off to try to find a good blank by someone like mark fitch who sells his blanks on
@#$%& for reeasonable prices (200-250). you will have a rod that is representative of the best of bamboo. i have a fitch 7'6" 4wt that is very nice.
i also have a southbend that is heavy and combersome. it is a 9' 5/6wt. i am thinking of making it into a banty rod because i will most likely not fish it the way it is.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.238.180.162.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.ne)
Date: June 19, 2006 11:33PM

Heddon, South Bend, Montague, and Horrock's-Ibbotson all had "entry-level" rods. These are fun projects to mess with as a way to learn about bamboo rods in general and rebuilding them in particular. They are just as much fun to fish when they're restored. My first bamboo was a Battenkill, which I promptly rebuilt including silk thread and varnish. I paid less than 1/3 of new price for this rod in the "used" barrel of a relatively famous shop in Georgetown (DC) and there were three special moments with it: the first time I assembled it and flexed it, when it introduced me to what bamboo "felt" like; the first time I assembled it and flexed it after I'd finsihed the rebuild, when I was introduced to the magic of the classic look and feel of it, and the first time I caught a fish with it. I still have it the rod, not the fish. I knew you'd ask that - - - :-)

Bamboo is not to be measured against modern materials in terms of cost. If that's the case, stay with the modern stuff. Bamboo is to be felt in the hand. Even the old and (in their time) "cheap" ones bring back the art of what was.

Let me also tell you that in the salt, the original bamboo trolling rods are still as much art as antique and can cometimes be restored to actual use. They'd be considered backbreakers now but in Hemingway's day - - -

For those for which bamboo is too much trouble, so be it and good on ya. For those who want to take on the challenge of inexpensive bamboo, just do it. It's a neat thing to do, indeed.

Uncle Russ

Date: June 20, 2006 01:39AM

i'd also encourage those with an interest to pursue bamboo fly rods in some way, at least reading about the current bamboo making community. when i fished that 6611 dickerson, i quickly saw how unique bamboo could be, particularly from a fine maker. once i caught a fish, i immediately understood what all the ravings were about. the bamboo, it felt alive and was casting by itself once i slowed down and allowed it to. a nice bamboo rod doens;t weigh much more than graphite, particularly in the under 8 foot range. you really can't compare their lengths and weights to graphite.

and it doesn't take $1,000+ to get a fine rod. the bamboo community appears to be thriving beneath the radar. fine blanks can be had as low as $200/$250, complete rods as low as $500 (although $650 is the usual low end price). understand though, these are being offered by artisans working from their home on a very small scale but you get consultation over the specific taper you decide upon and like RB.org here, it's a fine community. it's also equally addicting.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 10:18AM

LARRY PIRRONE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> southbend rods were the "blue collar" rods of
> their day. most are 8 1/2 to 9 feet in length and
> somewhat heavy. bamboo is a wonderful material
> for rod making in the hands of a good maker. you
> would be better off to try to find a good blank by
> someone like mark fitch who sells his blanks on
> @#$%& for reeasonable prices (200-250). you will
> have a rod that is representative of the best of
> bamboo. i have a fitch 7'6" 4wt that is very
> nice.
> i also have a southbend that is heavy and
> combersome. it is a 9' 5/6wt. i am thinking of
> making it into a banty rod because i will most
> likely not fish it the way it is.

I purchased my blank from Mark Fitch. Top flight guy, was extremely helpful when I asked a few questions about finishing the blank. He will build to suit, or you can buy pre-ferruled blanks that are ready to ship.

Just my two pennies worth...

Dave

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: June 20, 2006 07:05PM

I've bought and rebuilt and sold many bamboo rods over the years. My wife says I haven't done as much selling as I should, which is true. It is fun to tinker with them and learn new things as you go along. You are looking at production rods which, as has been noted above, are not the best examples of the bamboo builders craftsmanship. However, you get a nice surprise once in a while and find one of those run of the mill rods that handles very nicely indeed after you restore it.

Some things I can add: try to find the shorter lengths 7, 7.5, 8 footers (these tend to be more valuable, also harder to find); make sure all pieces are full length; make sure you get all the pieces; some of the early makers produced the 7 & 7.5 foot rods on a special order only basis which usually meant you got a better rod than the daily production types; always use quality materials and ask questions if you get stuck.

Bamboo rods fish different than the modern materials and they are, in general, much more durable as long as you don't shut them in the car door or step on them. You can rap a bamboo rod tip against the table top to get people's attention and then go fishing with it and it won't explode. You can't do that with graphite. I have a friend who builds bamboo from the culm who does this in demonstrations just to show people the durability of bamboo.

Before you jump on these comments, let me say that bamboo also has its problems. It can take a set due to misuse or excessive strain. The curvature can be straightened, but it will probably come back over time. If you put the rod away wet, it will rot or at least delaminate. If you treat it well, it will last for decades as you can see by the number of rods that have survived...even the cheap ones. I have a couple that are over 100 years old. Bamboo rods are typically heavier and can tire you out. I usually take a bamboo rod for the morning and a graphite rod for the afternoon when I go fly fishing, but I'm old and retired now and can't swing the heavier rod all day long anymore.

If you don't get anything but the experience of learning something new by restoring one of the old production rods, it will still be worth your time and it won't cost much. Besides, it gives you a good excuse to buy silk threads and try different finishing techniques. Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2006 08:46PM

Great thread! Just reading all the info makes me want to build one :)

DR

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: June 22, 2006 11:02AM

I second the recommendation on Mark Fitch's blanks, although he posted a completed rod for $350 about 2 weeks ago. The blanks are impregated, so you can purchase your silk thread and hardware and have at it just as you would a graphite blank without worrying about dip tanks. Mark will also ferrule the blank for a small charge. In general, bamboo really shines in the shorter lengths. Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster