I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on wood handles
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 16, 2006 04:41PM

I have built a couple of rods with wood handles that I have turned myself. On the first rod I used a clear coat (automotive) finish. It turned out well at first but, the finish doesn't seem to hold up well to getting knocked around in the boat. I have heard of tru-oil but I know that with guns the finish will scuff as well but it it easy to touch up. My question is this several people have told me to use the flex coat high build and apply that to the wood on this current rod. How does that hold up as compared to the tru-oil? How slick is the finish compaired to the tru-oil? Last question if it was your rod which would you use the tru-oil or the epoxy? Thanks in advance Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on wood handles
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 16, 2006 04:53PM

Tru Oil!!! There are some that use finish but I don't like it. Finish will definately scuff. Look at any guide wrap that is old. Most tend to look dull and epoxy finishes can't be buffed with any success. Tru Oil, on the other hand can be reapplied, buffed and can be made to look matte, glossy or however you want it depending on how you apply it. My vote would definately be Tru Oil but I'm sure you will get other opinions

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2006 06:15PM

Absolutely Tru Oil. I use it on cork grips from time to time, it's easy to apply, easy to finish, can make it anywhere from glossy to matte , and back again if you want. Easy, easy, easy. Looks amazing, and brings your wood to life, making really nice grained burls look 3D. A side benefit is that grip is enhanced when it gets wet. The feel wet or dry is great, too.

I don't think you can say that about epoxy finishes.

Dave

Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2006 09:32PM

I have started with the epoxy. It works ok and give a glossy finish but I have noticed that it scuffed and if you used both cork and wood you had to finish the wood first and that put everything togeather. Though this forum I asked about tru oil and have just tried it on two rods. I must say that I like it much better. You can lathe the hole grip, wood and cork and than apply it to everything at once. MUCH NICER!

A few things going in. First it does not produce as glossy a finish as epoxy more of a satin finish. It also darkens the wood and cork (burl) as was mentioned to me when I asked about it here, but still a very nice look.

I have also learned that you must use very light coats, to heavy and it takes a long time to dry. Use your finger and apply as light a coat as you can. By the way how long do most of you let it dry before you apply the second coat. I applied five on my first one and than tried the Sheen and conditiorner but did not notice much of a difference. Some have said that they apply 10 or more coats. I am not sure it this will give it more of a gloss or not. But over all I am much happier with the tru oil I think it is a harder finish and I really like being able to work the wood and cork together.

By the way if you have not gotten one of the manderls for Lamar fishing I would highy recomend it. I was really surpised as to how much eazier it made things.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 16, 2006 09:50PM

Alan, to me, it seems that the first coat or two of
Tru-Oil takes longer to dry than subsequent coats. I apply it with pieces of cut-up coffee filter and lightly dress down the previous dried Tru-Oil finish with either 000 or 0000 steel wook, or use very fine grades of a "ScotchBrite" type material that I got at WoodCraft. I like the effect of multiple coats.

Tru-Oil is quite a good product for finishing cork and wood handles, I think, and user friendly.
Stan

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 17, 2006 08:13AM

I will say Tru Oil also, however I have used Permagloss too. Apply light multiple coats letting each one set up in between. It gives a very hard resistant finish without darkening the wood. It is a little tricky to use but will give very good results. I apply mine while turning on my dryer at about 4 RPM.

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2006 11:55PM

Mark,

I always use Minwax polyurethane (satin finish). I don't care for the high gloss look on wood handles/reel seat inserts. I put on two or three coats with 0000 steel wool in between. Tough to wear out. I dunk them in water all of the time while flyfishing, never had a problem, never had to refinish them.

Russ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster