I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide setup for 9' flats spinning rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 16, 2006 06:16AM

I'm using a steelhead (SH1084) to build a light saltwater spinning rod - throwing 1/4 to 1/2 oz in on the flats and in the suds. I'm using a short rear grip and my reel upsweep seems to put the choke guide on the ferrule, which is fine with me. My question is whether or not 10 or 11 guides total seems like too much. I have about 50" to cover with my size 7 running guides and I don't want them spaced too far apart. Any thoughts on how many running guides, their spacings and compromises I may not be thinking about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide setup for 9' flats spinning rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.225.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 16, 2006 07:01AM

The static test will tell you if it is too many. You can start with a stock set up say from St Croix's site. Then adjust. I usually start the first guide from the tip at 4" then add 1/4" fro the first half of the guides. Then add 1/2" to get me started. Butt guide sounds like a 25 may be good depending on the reel face. The Fuji Concept guides are higher with there rings then others so it also depends on the company or guides you use. I also try to put the line path into the ring

Check the Libarary page for the articals on guide placement.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.3c.5d45.static.theplanet.com)
Date: June 16, 2006 08:05AM

On a 9 footer I don't think 10 guides total is too many. I build a lot of those type rods and with that system I often end up with at least that many guides. Most of them are running guides though. I usually get down to the intersect guide within just 3 or 4 guides. The rest are small running guides.

Date: June 16, 2006 08:28AM

To give a little more detail, I already have my first guides figured - BYAG 25, 16 and 8. My running guides will be BLAG7s and will start on the ferrule and run out to the tip.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 16, 2006 12:11PM

GUIDE LAYOUT: SURF ROD 9-FOOT MEDIUM-LITE DUTY
TRIFECTA ZONAL Method

INT: 0, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11”

LOC: 0, 4, 8, 13, 18, 24, 31, 39, 48, 58, 69”

SIZE: TT 7F, 7F, 7F, 7F, 7F, 7Y, 8Y, 10Y, 16Y, 25Y-MM

Where:
INT = Interval in inches BETWEEN adjacent Guides.
LOC = Location in inches from ROD TIP to the GUIDE
SIZE = Nominal RING Size of the Guide in millimeters (MM)
TT = Tip-Top
“-F” = Low FLY-frame Guide. Fuji BLAG (or Batson VS3)
“-Y” = High Y-frame Guide. Fuji BYAG (or Batson -FL-)

LENGTH OVERALL (LOA) = 108”

REAR HANDLE (estimated) = 10”

REEL SEAT + SPOOL (est.) = 6”

REEL SPOOL to ROD TIP = 108” – (10” + 6”) = 92”

REEL SPOOL to BUTT GUIDE = 23” (OPEN Free-Flow Zone)

BUTT GUIDE to ROD TIP = 92” – 23” = 69” for Layout

FUNNEL-CHOKING ZONE: = 69” – 48” = 21”

RUNNING ZONE: = 48” – 0” = 48”

This Guide Layout Scheme incorporates several criteria for good INITIAL Guide Placement, as implied by distances cited. Tweak as needed.
As you can see, this Interval Pattern is easy to follow, and easy to set-up quickly on your bench-top. The math in this Progressive Spacing is as simple as it gets.
Test Cast and Load Test to check performance on your rod blank. ...

Happy Rod-Building, ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 16, 2006 01:38PM

Marty, I would go with no more than 3 BYAG guides with all the rest your 7 BLAG fly guides. IMO, there just isn't any benefit to gradually reduce guide sizes. Get it down as small as needed as fast as you can to maintainh the highest efficiency

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2006 03:20PM

I would do the same as Mike suggests. Set it up according to the New Guide Concept layout on the online library page here so you'll have a nice, straight line path. Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes to do it.

Date: June 16, 2006 04:40PM

Actually, I should say that I am using the new Forecast VS3 and FL guides, not the Fuji on this rod (I just tend to think in terms of "Y" and "N" and "L" designations. Ray, Robert and Kevin at Fishsticks hooked me up with all Forecast components and I love them; got my order about 2 days after placing it. The Forecast FL guides look a bit higher than the Fuji equivalent, which I think I will like given the purpose of this rod. It sounds like it's a good thing I ordered a bunch of running guides.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 16, 2006 04:56PM

The VS3 aare really nice and so are the FL. I would still go with the same set up

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster