I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Epoxy Poll
Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: June 15, 2006 07:33AM

I have done a test stick with 3 finishes that I had all NCP white over a black blank 1/2 of each is covered to prevent UV exposure. I did this in Feb. after I got some Threadmaster in Charlotte. I have had it outside in direct sun since, there is and unbelievable difference Threadmaster is clearest, LS supreme next , then Aftcote. I had been an Aftcote fan until I used Threadmaster now I will not use anything else. Great product Andy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2006 07:43AM

CLT Show? They wouldn't have any idea about how to use the Diamond II finish. You'd use it just like any of the others. It's as easy to use as Flex Coat or ThreadMaster. Just another option if you want to try it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2006 07:45AM

Diamond II? You'd use it just like any of the others. It's as easy to use as Flex Coat or ThreadMaster. Just another option if you want to try it.

Now if you're talking about the Diamondite finish from Swifty Manufacturing - that is a bit different but not at all hard to use. During those times when you need a nice looking epoxy finish that sets up super quick, it can be the product to go to. Guys who do a lot of rush repairs should take a look at it.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 15, 2006 08:14AM

So far I have used flexcoat high build with complete satifaction. I am almost finished with a 32 oz. kit of it and am about to order a 32 oz. kit of threadmaster next. I too, have seen Andy's test sticks and can't wait to give it a try. I will probably switch to Threadmaster for the majority, if not all my wrap finishing needs. Even if I were to change, I still don't have a single bad thing to say about flexcoat. It has served me well.

Steve Buchanan

Steve"s Custom Rods

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2006 08:17AM by Steve Buchanan.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 15, 2006 08:57AM

I have been using Classic Coat - and like it better than Flexcoat, just seems easier to use, releases bubbles better, and it levels very nicely. I'm a relative newbie though, only built 4-5 rods (currently have about 4 in production though, terrible addiction, this one) As soon as I exhaust my supply I'm going to try Threadmaster or LS Supreme. Now, reading about Diamond II has me interested in that one as well - which sponsors sell it? Going with Threadmaster sounds good, because it also gives me an excuse to order some of Andy's cork all in one order :-)

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.rcmp-grc.gc.ca)
Date: June 15, 2006 09:17AM

I use FlexCoat Lite for wraps and FC HighBuild for Marbling. I have good succes with both and spread them out after mixing.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: June 15, 2006 09:38AM

Threadmaster!

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 10:28AM

Ls Supreme........going to give threadmaster a try though...too many people saying too many good things about it to ignore the comments over that last few months.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lmdaca.adelphia.net)
Date: June 15, 2006 01:03PM

This may be complicated, but here goes.

For sealing the thread and guides prior to a finish coat or featherwork, I use Permagloss. Really locks everything in place.

For the guides I use a very thin and low build Klass Kote. Love it for that reason. One coat and it is very hard and thin, no build up.

For the featherwork areas, I use LS Supreme, Threadmaster, Flex Coat low build. Although Threadmaster is very nice, I am not quite as impessed as everyone else seems to be with this product. It is very nice, don't get me wrong. In my controlled studies, I see very little difference, but for me, removing the bubbles is easier with LS Supreme than with Threadmaster. When it comes to sanding the finish and applying that final coat, Threadmaster wins hands down. In short, low build featherwork areas, LS Supreme works best. For larger applications and shaping the featherwork areas, Threadmaster is a really nice product.

Keep in mind, I AM NOT AN EXPERT NOR DO I CLAIM TO BE.

To me Flex Coat is fool proof and a good ole standby.

For the bug inlays I use LS Supreme. Between Threadmaster and LS Supreme, both of which I like, I give the nod in bubble reduction to LS Supreme and as for clarity, they are close to the same. For me, Threadmaster is really easy to use and I love it. But LS Supreme seems to work a little better for me. Not sure why................

The opinions expressed here are simply a product of my experience and may not reflect your results..........................disclaimer.............LOL

Terry

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2006 01:07PM by terry henson.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: June 15, 2006 01:18PM

LS, when it's gone I'll try Threadmaster.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 03:59PM

Used FC for quite a while with fine results and then later on Amtac Clear coat when I needed the longer working time. But now I'm hooked on Threadmaster. True, it doesn't have the pot life of Amtac but then it sets up so quickly and clear that I'm willing to prepare a second amount if needed. All seem to have their plusses and minuses and you have to decide which characteristics are most important to you.

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: June 15, 2006 04:31PM

Did use Flex Coat and it was ok, then tried LS Supreme and hated it. I finally settled on Aftcote and been very pleased with it. No reason for me to try anything else.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: June 15, 2006 05:35PM

Like Steve I settled on AFTCOTE. Great stuff for me. I have a supply left, but have a small bottle(s) of Threadmaster waiting in the wings. Figured I'll give it a try.

Jay

Posted by: Ron Kelly (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 09:40PM

Shawn, Where can you get Diamond 2, i'm an old fan of Gene Bullard and didn't know it was still available.

thanks Ron

Posted by: Mike Doran (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2006 08:01AM

I'm just a beginner-mediate builder and have been using Flex Coat Lite but plan to try /threadmaster in the very near future.

Mike Doran
Spring, Texas

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster