I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Epoxy Poll
Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 06:29PM

Well Scott V. I ALSO use Classic Coat right now. I have some Diamondite and plan to
get some Threadmaster one of these days. I have always been happy with Flex-Coat
however, as soon as I tried the Classic Coat it was imediately apparent that the CC
was clearer in the mixing cup. like WATER!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 06:42PM

Flex Coat is trustworthy to me. Threadmasters claims to clarity appear to be true in the bottle and on the rod, so i'd give three thumbs up to it. Gene Bullards Diamond II is a pretty good finish, worth a look at, its a pretty clear finish.

I asked this same question about three years ago here, bought a quart of the collective response and ended up throwing the stuff in the snow out back. The best thing to do is to get a bunch baby bottles of finish and find out what works best for you.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.0.245.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 07:16PM

Long time Flex Coat user. Tried LS Supreme and it gave me fits. My only use for it now is making buttcaps and winding checks. Recently been playing with Threadmaster and I agree that so far, if you gave me cups of both FC and TM in a blind test to mix and apply, I don't think I could tell the difference. I also agree that I find it to be harder when cured, much more like a hard plastic. Good stuff, and was all Andy promised. If it holds up over time as good as it is supposed to, it's going to be a terrific product. Haven't tried any of the other finishes, and have no reason to .

As mentioned, it comes down to finding one you like and gettting used to working with it. I've seen some great finishes with LS. I am just so set in my ways that in all but one attempt with LS, I couldn't get it to work. The one time I got a good finish, it was because I made myself be patient and let it tell me what it wanted to do, instead of trying to make it behave like a different finish. But I'm impatient. I don't like to have to think when I put on finish, so I stick with what I like. And now I'm starting to like Threadmaster a lot too.

Posted by: David Wells (---.201.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 07:29PM

Thread Master for me too. It's working properties are very similar to Flex Coat but it's the super water clear clarity that swings my vote.

David

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 07:39PM

Threadmaster by a large margin. Tried most but have settled on Threadmaster. Best results (for me) by far

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: June 14, 2006 07:51PM

I've tried most of the epoxies out there and have had good results from more than one of them but I have to admit I'm totally enamored with the working properties and the finished product I get with Threadmaster.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 08:48PM

I need to try the Threadmaster from Andy, but at the moment I've got too much Flex-coat I need to use up. I've never gotten anything but exceptional products and work from Andy, so I have to believe he's got a good product in the Threadmaster finish. I had a couple of samples of the LS Supreme Hi-Build and liked the way it worked. Great for single coat repairs.

Lynn Huffman
LH Custom Rods

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 08:49PM

Both ThreadMaster and LS Supreme are my favorites, but I've been using ThreadMaster exclusively since purchasing it at the Charlotte Show.
Stan

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 08:53PM

I have become a big fan of Threadmaster. My previous favorite was LS Supreme and I still like it and still use it (depending upon what I'm doing). If I had to pick one and only one for all round use and in all temperatures, then I'd pick Threadmaster.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 08:54PM

I have become a big fan of Threadmaster. My previous favorite was LS Supreme and I still like it and still use it (depending upon what I'm doing). If I had to pick one and only one for all round use and in all temperatures, then I'd pick Threadmaster.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 08:56PM

Threadmaster Here!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2006 09:23PM

My favorite finish of all time was the original Diamond II from Bullard International. Gene has pulled a rabbit out the hat, again, with the new version of the old standard. Frankly, it's one heck of an epoxy finish. I was surprised somebody that had been out of this for so long could get back into it with such a great product so quickly.

LS Supreme High-Build suits what I do best. I don't think any finish releases bubbles this well and certainly none this thick releases bubbles so well. This is a great epoxy finish (I like it much better than the standard viscosity version).

Andy's Threadmaster will be a great success because it builds on the most popular finish of all time - Flex Coat. Same ease of use and working properties, but with greater clarity and color fastness. The chemistry behind it makes it a true 21st century thread wrap coating.

I've probably finished more rods with Flex Coat than with any other finish. Other finishes may have surpassed it in some areas these days, but in the long run there isn't really anything wrong with it. It's predictable and easy to use and it works just fine.

I've used many others as well and have gotten very nice results with all of them. These days I tend to reach for whatever happens to be in my finish cabinet, which is generally one of those listed above.

Posted by: ronnie jones (---.atl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 09:36PM

i'm just a novice, but....
i tried a couple of other makes before trying Threadmaster. ..now, i've got two bottles of "other makes" that i'll probaly never use.

ronnie

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 09:53PM

OK Andy - don't let your head swell. if any one does like I do and coat there cork with clear then you have noticed the difference between thread master and other finishes. My natural cork used to come out with a kind of golden color when using thinned finish on them as a sealer. When I used Thread Master it was like night and day. All finishes were yellow yet thread master kept the cork it's natural color.
I still would like a lighter color in the Exotic cork though. ? Real light like cork.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 10:08PM

Have you tried the Laguna pattern? It's uncolored cork granules....same as natural cork.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Date: June 14, 2006 10:27PM

Andy
That is what I use but it would be nice to have some thing lighter ?? Food for thought ?

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 10:44PM

You can't make it any lighter...that is natural cork at it it's lightest shade w/ no color manipulation at all. the other patterns undergo a heat treating process to achieve the color shading, bu tthe Laguna is completely untouched....it's exactly the same as a natural cork ring.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Date: June 14, 2006 10:54PM

We must be looking at two different colors ? natural cork is I think more a light cream color where the laguna is more a light tan ?

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.238.182.174.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.ne)
Date: June 15, 2006 12:17AM

Personal opinions only:
Used Flex Coat ever since I've been building, both High Build and Lite. Tried LS High Build and Lite. Tried Pac Bay. Tried ThreadMaster.

ThreadMaster first or tied with Flex Coat, but clearer (OK, then, "brighter", "harder", "glassier"). Pot life not an issue because we make sure to (a) pour the mix into a tinfoil pan or one we make out of tinfoil sheet so it spreads nice and even, releasing most of the bubbles and (b) keep the stuff around 80deg, as it says in the instructions.

I don't mean to offend anyone or any of our sponsors; this is just my experience and opinion so far. I haven't tried the Diamond product because the gentleman at the CLT show told us so many "rules" about how to use it that we decided to skip it.

BTW, thanks, Andy. You made believers out of Gary and me.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 06:44AM

LS Regular for the first coat, LS High Build for all additional coats.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster