I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Epoxy Poll
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 03:47PM

I realize that epoxy can be somewhat subjective but I just wanted to see what everyone out there is using. Personally I've been happy with High Build Flex Coat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Poll
Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:04PM

I was too until Threadmaster came along!

Posted by: joe lucas (63.144.115.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:19PM

switched to threadmaster

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:30PM

I alternate between Low build Flexcoat and Threadmaster. I have a problem with Threadmaster getting thick too quick when it is anything at all below 70 F. My basement stays pretty cold, and if it is below 70, I use the Flexcoat.
A lot, like everything else in this field, is what you are used to. I got used to the thinner low build, and like it.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:32PM

28 Views and 4 responses???? This is a question everyone can awnser.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:35PM

ThreadMaster... Hooray!!!

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:43PM

i aint a pro, i used flex coat HB and was happy with the results, but only building 3 rods, i don't have much of an opinion, Just recieved threadmaster from andy, looking 4 ward to trying it out.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:49PM

I too am very happy with Flex Coat High Build. I have been using it since it came out and have no problems with it both in application(even thought I have my OWN way of using it) and what I end up with in the final product. That being said. I recently have been runing tests with threadmaster and another recently popular product against my old friend Flex Coat. So far I have to be fair. Threadmaster is almost identical in use and outcome to FC. I have found it goes on as easy, self levels and is clear. Not that I can say any better than what I am using but equally as good. I have several samples and different colors outside in the sun and seeing how it reacts there. It has already been established that FC yellows over time especially on white or very light colors. The biggest difference I feel I have seen so far is Threadmaster seems to be "harder" in texture. Not a bad thing by any stretch. I am trying to be a just and fair person becsause I have a some influence out here(left coast) and I dont want anything thinking I am against ANY product that can be helpful to other rod builders. I am Photo documenting everything I am doing (not that pictures are always THAT accurate) and in the future will share my findings with anyone who is interested. BOTTOM LINE: I use and like Flex Coat but can say NOTHING negative about Threadmaster and in fact feel it is a fine product. For whatever my feelings are worth. It all still goes back to my favorite saying.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 04:58PM

Steve,
All resins, especially the hiher build formulas get thick when applied below 70 degrees...not just Threadmaster. FlexCoat and LS are the same way, unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. Some just react diffeently to the lower extremes than others.

Doc, I am glad to hear you're playing with ThreadMaster. It (as I have said all along) was modeled after FlexCoat in terms of working properties. You'll find that it stays water clear infinitely longer than anything else....thanks so much for the unbiased review...your opinion means a lot to me. Next month we will be submitting at least 8 test samples of various finishes including ThreadMaster to an independent lab for clarity testing in an accelerated weather chamber. I am anxious to see what the results will be.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:09PM

I like Amtak, it levels very nicely for me. The hardener does go amber, but since I never use color preserver I don't have a problem with that. Recently I used Threadmaster for a rod and some repairs. To me, in my application situation, Threadmaster's pot life appeared to be a bit shorter. I personally don't time these things, just my impression.

One thing I have been doing with Threadmaster, especially for repairs, is mixing 1/4 teaspoon (1.2 ml) of each part. So far I have not had a failure to set up completely. I won't comment on the two other epoxies that I moved away from, or why. My reasons and experiences may be totally different from users who do like the products a great deal and could also be influenced by my application technique.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Craig Sawtelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:10PM

Am lucky to live in the same area as Andy Dear and have seen some of his test sticks with various epoxys. It's a "no brainer" for me. In fact, placed an order for more ThreadMaster just yesterday. As Doc mentioned, time will tell, as people will be able to see the difference!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:28PM

Here's a funny thing about finish clarity; alot of guys say "well iI only use dark threads so I don't notice it" or "I don't se CP so it's not a big deal"..

I have had so many guys use ThreadMaster and say, "gosh I use to think you couldn't see the yellowing on black or brown thread, but you really can". It may not look yellow, but it just doesn't look as bright and crisp. The problem is that your eyes get used to looking at something a bit hazy, then when you see it with a water clear resin, it's like whoa....you can see a clarity difference.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.cityofnapa.org)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:41PM

Hands down........THREADMASTER!!!

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:43PM

LS Supreme Hi Build works great for me. I still think it is a case of finding one that works for you and sticking with it. Once you have confidence in the product you are using you seem to do better.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:43PM

I use classic rod coat. And yes I did find out that temp is a huge issue for epoxy. I live up here in the frozen tundra fo the north and to save a $ or 2 we keep the temp at around 65 degress in the winter and putting on epoxy at that temp is a challenge. It doesn't release bubbles that way it does when it gets up past 75 degrees and that goes for Flex Coat High Build too. That is why I started using a propane torch.

Scott

Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:45PM

I have used numerous products over the years. (Flex Coat, LS Supreme, Amtak, and Aftcote). I've had reasonable results with all but have settled on the Aftcote for now due to the extra long pot life. I tend to be extremely slow at times when applying finish. Though the end result was always good with the Flex Coat, I just simply could not finish a rod before it became unworkable. (That was when I had very little experience. I could probably use it OK now). After hearing all the positive comments about Threadmaster I'm anxious to try it, but not until I deplete my current stock. I refuse to order anything new as I know the current material will go unused when I decide I like the Threadmaster better.

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 05:49PM

I went from FlexCoat toLS supreme to Threadmaster.The Threadmaster seems to be a little thicker and not a viscous(is that a word)during application therefor it does not get up the guide leg while the rod has the guides facing down during application.As far as long term I cant comment.I picked it up in Charlotte so I dont have much exposure on it yet.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 06:12PM

Threadmaster

DR

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: June 14, 2006 06:20PM

Long time and happy Flex Coat user. Then last year bought LS Supreme Hi-Build and really really really like it. Then bought some Threadmaster at the BIG show and like it just as well if not better. After seeing the product release of Bullards reintroduced Diamond II in the past issue of Rodmaker, I ordered some and have to say I like it the very best. Seems to have the best qualities of all finishes I have tried and at this point I have tried them all. Until something really different comes along I'm sticking with the Diamond II. I just find it easy to use and it works extra great for me!

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 06:25PM

Threadmaster all the way.............

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster