I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fran Park - First Surf Rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 01:55PM

Fran,
I assume the Amtak blank you have is a 1087, 9ft, rated 3/4-4oz. I have never used it but it sounds like a light to medium surf stick. I assume you are not using it to soak bait in "big" surf so here are my thoughts. Where are you and your buddy going to fish?
First, if you are fishing shallow, sandy beaches with relatively small fish, like I do in SC, then the rod needed to throw the weight is FAR MORE rod than you need to fight the fish. I have actually started building lighter and lighter surf sticks, not just to fish differently but to have more fun when I hook up. On the other hand, if I had to take ONE rod to the beach (I'll pause while we all chuckle...) it would be my Lami PSB1202L which is happiest throwing 2-3oz. I almost never throw 4, sometimes 2 and usually 3 when fishing bait. I use 14lb mono line max and will sometimes go as light as 6lb fishing for pompano and whiting (with smaller rods).
All that being said, it sounds like you have picked a good "go to" blank for general surf fishing. Unless you are going to be around a lot of strucutre I would probably use a 4000 to 6000 class Shimano or one of the other manufacturers with a reel weighing about 16 oz (+/- a couple oz) and spool it with 15lb line. My ABUs hold over 200yds of such line and I've only been close to spooled once, and that was a 5ft spinner shark that I don't think I would have turned with 1000yds of line. Even if you are around the occassional rocks, pilings or oyster beds, you should be able to compensate with appropriate leaders.
Coming back to the question of guides, I would definetly purchase the 40 and see if you think you need it. The Fuji BYAG30 or Batson VS3 would give you the same height off the blank, I've just never used them to sling 3oz and don't know how they would hold up. I would definitely do "new concept" and get down to size 10 running guides. I have nothing larger than size 10 running guides on any of may surf rods and they work fine, even with shock leaders and knots. I buitl a Rainshadow 1264 spinning for my brother in law last year and used BLAG10s with a locking wrap and I've heard of no problems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fran Park - First Surf Rod
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 09:49PM

Marty, this is a great help to me! Thanks! I will be using the surf rod primarily in Myrtle Beach. Size 10 runners were what I had planned. I will get the 40 on my next order. Meanwhile, I'll find the reel so I can implement the concept guide layout.

Re: Fran Park - First Surf Rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 14, 2006 01:07PM

I would look at the black Electra thread for that white blank - should itself off at a distance and really sparkle when you get up close.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster