I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to handle threads for multiple trim?
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.ipcom.comunitel.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 03:30AM

Dear friends,

First of all, excuse me because it's quite difficult to me to explain this just with words, but I'm afraid this is the only way.

In order to get more skill, I sometimes try to emule some of your wraps. Sometimes I success and sometimes results are very far from the original . Worse, of course.

In this case, I'm beginning with what I call "multiple trim". I don't know the righ name. I mean several close trims in a run, like this one from Hiro Tanaka [www.rodbuilding.org] For these example I'm talking about the series of trims between the roller feet.

When I begun with easiest ones (I mean maybe a band next to a trim) I junt used a short piece of golden (in the example) thread and added it to the wrap. Then I wrapped it over the black one (being this holded by a piece of masking tape at a 90º angle) and made the trim.

I tried to do the same with the Hiro's picture in a 130 lb rod, but the piece of golden thread had to be... almost 3 yards!!! to make all trims with the same piece of thread.

How are these trims done?. All with the same thread?. I cannot add and drop pieces of thread in such a small place to make the trims with different threads...

Is there any place to get more info?

Best regards,

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2006 09:17AM by Daniel Rotea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to handle threads for multiple trim?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 06:36AM

There are several good books and videos available through the sponsors on the
left of this page. Until you can get one of them try this link.

[www.leapinbass.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 13, 2006 06:50AM

With Hiro's example, add your trim thread and then wrap the trim AND the main thread together. You will have two threads being wound at the same time until you get to where you want to stop. Then just wrap over the trim thread with your main thread.

Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.Red-217-127-51.staticIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 07:18AM

I've "Custom Rod Thread Art" and "Advanced Rod Building" by Dale P. Clemens and the one by Tom Kirkman, but I didn't find how to "run" several trims. Is there any book you would advice about this?

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 07:25AM

All three of those cover the subject pretty well.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: June 13, 2006 08:13AM

Ken Preston's DVD has a section on adding and dropping trip threads. I had the DVD but sold it after watching it once since it deals with surf rods a lot.

DVD - Rod Building Basics (Ken Preston)

Rod Building Instructional DVD Video
With world-renowned rodsmith Ken Preston
Price: $21.21

Date: June 13, 2006 09:15AM

I've read all 3 books and I've also watched Ken's video. But my mainn doubdt is ow to handle the trim thread. This is not a problem for narrow bands (up to 10 or 15 turns) but, in this example we're talkin about 40+ turns. Remember I'm talking about the series between the roller feet and about how to "link" them.

Are them all made with just a single thread?. Inthis case, it has to be very long (for a 1" section, we're talking about 3 or 4 yards). So it's quite difficult keeping all this thread in place with masking tape.

Is all this thread coming direcly from th spool?. How do you avoid the golden thread turning while wraping the black one between two golden series?

Is each serie (golden or blank) wraped from a diferent piece of thread?. How do you add/drop them in just a copukpe of wounds?.

These is the summary of my doubt. Maybe it's easy to understand now.

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2006 09:19AM by Daniel Rotea.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 09:24AM

To do the trim bands in Hiro's guide wrap that are in the underwrap put your spool of gold thread in a thread bobbin like those used by fly tiers. Pull out a length of thread then tape the bobbin to the blank as you wrap over the gold. Then pick up the bobbin and bring in the gold when you need it. Just remember that when you wrap the wide bands you must go behind the main thread on each wrap so it's under the gold. To do the single bands wrap both threads together. It will take some practice especially to get all the starts and stops to line up.

Date: June 13, 2006 10:20AM

That's it, Jim!

I'm already able of doing both wide and bands. The problem was how to do it with a long thread. So the secret was the thread bobbin...

Thanks again, folks!

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.244.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 11:32AM

If I am doing a long band I use my wrapping machine. I do the black, then when i stop, I bring the gold onto the blank " to the left " of the black, wrapping left to right, lock it onto the blank, cut the black thread trim, then wrap the gold. When the gold is done, I bring the black onto the blank " to the left " of the gold, lock it in then cut the gold. If it is only several turns for a small band I use a piece of thread cut off the spool.
Hope this helps

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 02:57PM

Daniel,

You would cut the thread then say 5 or 10 wraps before you want to start the new color you start your trim color and wrap over it so it is under your main color when you get to the point where you want to start the trim you wrap both colors at the same time when you get to the end you wrap the main color back over the trim so it is underneath....this will hold your trim color in place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster