I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Rod
Posted by: Nat Evans (---.dhcp.vt.edu)
Date: June 12, 2006 05:36PM

I've decided that I'm going to build my first rod as a casting catfishing rod. I know I want to use one of the cheap 7' E-glass blanks from mudhole, but am unsure of what handle to use. I would prefer to use a cork handle. Will the St. Croix CG-21 casting handle kit work with this blank? Are there other casting handle kits on the market that are more like 26-28 inches with a 6-8 inch foregrip? Thanks.

Nat Evans
Stafford, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Rod
Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.caltel.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 07:31PM

I am getting ready to build 1 of those blanks. Just make sure you get a reel seat that will fit. I ordered a CRSD-22t for my blank. the butt on mine was .759
Jack

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 07:45PM

Nat . Go for it . Make your own

Date: June 12, 2006 07:53PM

Thanks, I'd make my own, but don't have a lathe or a press. Any suggestions on where I might contract a custom handle?

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (71.30.126.---)
Date: June 12, 2006 08:02PM

One of my first rods was built on this same blank. I used an EVA handle - it was good practice in sliding the EVA down the blank. I made mine with a spiral wrap, and use it for catfish and striper. I think EVA probably stands up to this kind of use better than cork.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 08:58PM

I don't know where you fish for cats or how but personally I would consider a 7' rod to be a bit short for cats as I usually use 9' or better. I depends on location and presentation I guess. For a first rod why not try something a little different and quite easy to build like a split grip bumper spiral casting rod using a fiji plate reel seat and the accessory trigger that goes with it. I also would use EVA grips.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: June 12, 2006 08:59PM

I concidered EVA, but really do perfer the feel of cork. The main purpose of this project is to refine my technique before I build on the the much more expensive St. Croix catfish classic blank I have. I have one of the factory Catfish Classics (now discountinued) with a cork handle and really like it . I would like to be able to replicate the rod as close to the factory produced model as possible.

Posted by: luis F. deleon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 10:30PM

do you know what modle it is? i have made two i personaly have one e-glass 7' 706 and used a split grip out of hypolon, it's my lite cranking stick and i just perchased a s-glass model for spiners and spooks, cork is what i'm going to use. and you don;t need a lath. get a drill make a mount out of wood use with your wraper and sape it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 11:14PM

Nat, I'd go for atleast a 8 foot blank for that long of grip so you can still get those big sweeping sets and have the length to do it. Also check out mydhole.s deal on cork grips right now...If you buy a CBG-11 rear grip ///use the reel seat Jack mentioned earlier and also buy a CBG-9 inch rear grip...you can cut the small 3/4 inch end pieces off the 9" rear grip...and use it for a 7 1/2 inch front grip by just simply hand sanding the CBG-9 down to taper in the front to the rod blank to you liking...with an 11" rear grip..about 5 inches for the reel seat, and a 7 1/2 inch front grip...you will have a handle about 23 inches overall and the cork will only be about 8 bucks total...plus reel seat cost. Call Mudhole and sales dept. ask for Scott tell him about this plan and he will tell you the reel seat you need for the blank your using. [shop.mudhole.com]
There is the link for the sale page with the cork on the bottom right of the page.
Ask Scott what blank he would recommend as there are many that will work for what you intend to do. Since your saving alot on the cork you could spend a little more on the blank...you can probably find a good one in that $45 dollar range. He can set you up with the guides for that rod too...with a longer blank like that I would steer towards a spiral wrap but since its your first rod you may choose to do a conventional guide set up.

Hope you find what your looking for...but I think this is a great deal on the cork for your handle...and if you can find the blank you want too and the reel seat from the same place...it helps cut the shipping totals you will incure compared to getting your parts from multiple sources.
Jeff

Date: June 13, 2006 10:18AM

Thanks Jeff - That sounds like a good idea. I'll call Mudhole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster