I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Krylon Fusion?
Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 10:24AM

I have a customer that would like me to build a bas rod for her. Colors picked out including the rod are various shades of pinks, and blue. She wants the blank to be pink. WIll the pink Fusion hold up? Will it need to be top coated with anything? All help greatly appreciated. I don't want to quote a price to her, till I get the facts. I plan on using a Rainshadow blank 6' MH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Krylon Fusion?
Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.pm3-7.pit-ch.pa.localnet.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 11:31AM

I tried White...scratched right off..you would need a topcoat of some kind...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.159.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 11:35AM

A well preped blank and a top coat, like permagloss, I have not used this paint so when you coat do a spot on the butt first to make sure you don't get any lifting.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 11:51AM

Mark,
We offer factory painted CTS blanks in Bubble Gum Pink....it's really nice, and I have sold several to female angers and guides. It's sort of a pastel pink, and I honestly wouldn't be embaressed to fish with it...very nice color.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishin Products

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: June 12, 2006 12:10PM

Tried permagloss over fusion and it melted the fusin and caused it smear.In other wors put it on anddont rebrush or wipe.The finish became one and was real tough,however it takes a little practice to get it not to smear.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.har.choiceone.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 02:00PM

I figured Permagloss was too hot for fusion, didn't even try it...

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 03:01PM

You might consider Delta Ceramcoat acrylic artists paint. I have used it with a pen to write on blanks and then coated it with Permagloss and it works, no adverse reactions, but have never tried it on a whole rod blank. If it were me I think that if I wanted a pink blank I would get one from Andy at Lamar.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: June 12, 2006 03:51PM

I used the Fusion clear sparkle, top coated the next day with varnish, has held up so far, but it has only about a month on it and been out about 4 times.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 07:04PM

Mark, I am with Andy on this. I bought one of the CTS blanks in the pink for the wife. Really a nice color of pink. I'll tell you one thing, thats not the last CTS blank I'll buy.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 07:32PM

I talked with Andy earlier today and agree too. A little more expensive than the Rainshadow, but in the long run it would be worth it (no worries about chipping and the sort) Now all she has to do is accept my price and we are all set. Thanks everyone for your imput.

BTW.........I did a test with a scrap section of blank. I used Kylon Fusion in a satin green. Banged it against wood and a metal bed rail (after a few hours) minnor scuffs that rubbed off easy. The diff in prices would not be worth my worries in the future.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 09:18PM

Krylon Fusion....From personal experimentation....PASS....It just does not hold up well to USE even with a topcoat....It is also tough to get an even light coat from a spray can. I have switched to an airbrush and Createx Auto Air Paints and Automotive Grade clear coats with much better success. There are a WIDE variety of paints out there designed for RC cars that will work as well. An entry level airbrush set up for less than $100 INCLUDING the compressor.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 09:25PM

Krylon Fusion....From personal experimentation....PASS....It just does not hold up well to USE even with a topcoat....It is also tough to get an even light coat from a spray can. I have switched to an airbrush and Createx Auto Air Paints and Automotive Grade clear coats with much better success. There are a WIDE variety of paints out there designed for RC cars that will work as well. An entry level airbrush set up for less than $100 INCLUDING the compressor.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 12, 2006 09:52PM

In my experience, it's a very soft paint. I used it to paint white the tan 1/2 inch PVC plumbilg pipe from Lowe's - for practice wraps/weaves. Would not want to put it on a blank, no matter how well the blank surface was prepped.
Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.243.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 13, 2006 08:41AM

I have not tried the stuff so I did not know how it was.

Here is a link to Pactra model paints that I got off here. people were talking good things about it
[www.hobbylinc.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster