I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double wrap on 130 lb trolling rod
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.Red-217-127-51.staticIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 04:04PM

Dear Friends:

I'm building a 130 lb trolling rods and I've some questions as I've never built such powerful kind of rods before.

I've already wrapped de underwrap and I was going to begin wrapping the roller feet. The idea was making a double wrap for this. The question is that I had thought on making all wraps before aplying epoxy. But I don't know if this will be maybe to thick (I mean the thread layers) to let the epoxy bonding threads to the wrap.

When shoul I apply finish?

1) Just after the first foot wrap and after the second one?. In this case the rollers' feet would be directly over the underwrap thread.
2) After the underwrap and before AND after the first foot wrap? I mean with some epoxy between the underwarp and the first foot wrap.
3) Just after all wraps are done, directly over the second one.

Looking forward to hearinf from you,

Daniel

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double wrap on 130 lb trolling rod
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 05:47PM

This is from a blue water heavy rod neophyte. I am building some very stout bottom fishing stuff. I just experience a very unique thing for me. The rods were underwrapped with A metallic thread. Guides were placed and double wrapped with D Gudebrod Black Nylon. The rods were white blanks and I used Threadmaster finish after wrapping was complete. I chose Threadmaster for these rods due to finish clarity. I used three coats. The first one was a light soaking coat where the thread pattern could be seen during the drying process. These rods were tested to with big fish and large loads to maximum bending. The rods had to be shortened. When I tried to strip the things after only 10 days I found a really sound penetration and good filling under all guide feet. When the thread was removed from the top of the guide feet the guides had to be heated for removal. I am now convinced that filling of guide feet and thread penetration can be done successfully after wrapping.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 06:02PM

Daniel; When I do underwraps I do them with "A" thread with all the trim bands and thread inlays and apply a coat of CP if I need it and then a coat of Permaglos. I then apply a coat of CP and Permaglos on the first overwrap and then do the same on the last overwrap. In other words a coat of finish over each layer of thread. Then I finish with a high build Epoxy. Takes time but I like the results.

Date: June 09, 2006 07:45PM

Jim - I do not work with any threads or do artwork that require me to use CP on blue water rods. I have never used Permaglos. I noticed a post the other day from Tom K about the superior strength of Permaglos. Would heavy duty blue water stuff have a better and stronger bond in the guide foot area with the use of the Permaglos on the first underlying coat. Is cured Permaglos brittle when cured. I use nearly all of the two part epoxies and normally thin the first penetration coat with acetone, less than 4% by volume, if not using LS Supreme as the first coat. I have not had any failures but would change if the Permaglos would provide superior strength and durability as the first coat.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 07:57PM

I picked up a real trick from Doc Ski and it really works on the heavier rods. He puts about 10 or so coats of CP on before he starts the 2 stage epoxy stuff. I started doing this and it seems that everything is stronger but the hidden side effect is that when the rod gets pretty beat up after a number of years, the refinishing is sure a lot easier. On heavy saltwater stuff, the LS Supreme is my personal favorite and it seems to really hold up to abuse a lot better than the other finishes I have tried.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 10:43PM

Bill; All I can suggest is that you try some. Put it on a test piece of blank let it dry and see what you think. I really like Permaglos. It penetrates very well and you can see it wick into the tunnels along the guide feet. Just keep applying it until it oozes out the open end. I should explain (as I said above) that I try to do all the fancy thread work on guides in the underwrap so if I need CP I use it there and then use NCP thread on the following guide wraps or Black so the Permaglos can penetrate. It also doesn't seem to blotch the way the Epoxy does. I don't know why but that's my feeling. Maybe I'm just getting better CP coverage now. I don't know how much difference there would be in bond strength and I really don't rely on finish for anything other than to protect the thread from abrasion and the elements. I've never had cracks in the finish after I learned to prepare the guide feet properly and I never thin the Epoxy finish. I do thin Gudebrod 811 CP just enough to keep it from being stringy or snotty so to speak.

Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.Red-217-127-51.staticIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 03:04AM

I used Permagloss in a light spinning rod and I noteiced it doesn't change threas color in the same way epoxies do. So, my doubt is if I'll get the same "plain black" color in the black threads or if the threads will be "seen" through the finish. Unfortunatelly, I made the underwrap with D thread.

On te other hand, I think that there will be no problems (fisheyes and so) when applying epoxy over Permagloss. Can you confirm it?

And finally, I haven't any LS SUpreme. I just have Flexcoat, ThreadMaster and Aftcote. I liked ThreadMaster, but I'm having a lot of problems with it now. It's warm weather and I'm working between 85 and 90 F, so it gets "sticky" too quick and I have no time to finish more than 3 or 4 guides with a batch...

I've never tested Aftcote before. Wich one would you advice?

Daniel Rotea
Alicante (Spain)

Date: June 10, 2006 09:32AM

Daniel - put a clock on your finishing 3 or 4 guides and let us know how long it takes you. I also work in a hot shop. I am probably hotter than you mention. I cut the air conditioner off to apply finish and dry. I can get a rod done before problems start with thickening of the finishes you mentioned. I rotate at speed and apply finish to a guide on a blue water rod in way less than a minute. I am normally done in less than 10 minutes after starting application.I think the only finish that ever timed out on me regularly was Glass Coat and it is no more.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2006 09:58AM

Daniel,
I swear by Threadmaster so I'm interested in the time also. Have you considered setting yor mixed finidh on something cool? Sounds silly, but if you pour youf finish onto foil, maybe set your foil on an icepack wrapped in a towel or something so it doesn't get too cool? Might work.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2006 03:58PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: June 10, 2006 12:42PM

And be sure to get your finish out of the mixing container ASAP after it has been mixed. Pour it out on some foil and let it spread out. The spreading will reduce the mass which in turn causes it not to heat up as fast as it would in the mixing cup. Less heat = slower kick time.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster