I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scotchbrite Pads
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 04:54AM

I know many of you recommend using gray Scothchbrite pads for lightly scuffing finish areas that have dried more than 24 hours or so, before putting on another finish coat. In a search on Google for Scotchbrite, I discovered there are TWO gray pads available, a light and a dark gray, as well as other colors, all of which indicate different strengths of abrasiveness.

The light gray is less abrasive than the dark. Which is the one recommended for our purposes? There is also a white pad which is even less abrasive than the light gray.

I also notice that they come in boxes of 20 for about a $1.00 each. I am just starting out and don't plan on making this a career. One pad will probably last me a lifetime, and 20 would be simply a waste. If anyone has a single fresh pad they would like to sell me, I would be happy to pay for the postage.

What's available:

Scotch Brite Blending Pads - Slightly finer abrasive than the heavy duty pad. Excellent for removing scratches on metal, wood, or synthetic surfaces. (Gray color)

Scotch-Brite General Purpose Hand Pad—This is the most popular Scotch Brite abrasive because it is coarse enough for cleaning and finishing but fine enough to produce good surface finishes. (Maroon color)

Scotch-Brite® Ultra-Fine Hand Pad— Fine textured for ultra-fine finishing or metal, wood, plastics, and composites. (Light Gray color)

Scotch-Brite Light Duty Hand Pad - A very mild abrasive for gentle, yet through cleaning. Commonly used with liquid detergent. (White color)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2006 05:14AM by Ralph Tomaccio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scotchbrite Pads
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 09, 2006 06:00AM

Re: gray Scotchbrite paul reyburn Dec. 29, 2005 19:20
Scotch Brite 7446 (Dark Gray) Coarse Grit. SKU#: 7446
Scotch Brite 7447B (Maroon) Medium Grit SKU#: 7447B
Scotch Brite 7448B (Grey) Ultra Fine SKU#: 7448B
Scotch Brite 97 (Green) Medium Grit SKU#: 97

Re: gray Scotchbrite Mark Gibson Dec. 29, 2005 22:27
Patrick : Last time I counted there were over 38 types of Scotch-Brite hand pads. I think there were 8 gray and the typical green pad tends to be quite a bit more aggressive than the grays.
7448 ultra fine gray is equivalent to 000 steel wool.
7446 fine gray is equivalent to steel wool grade 2.
Some of the green pads can cut more in the range of a 300 grit. There is also a 7745 gold pad that is equivalent to 0000 steel wool.
-Mark Gibson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2006 06:05AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 07:12AM

I got a single pad from one of the sponsors (Mudhole). It was purple, and this worried me. Finally, I found the gray one that is equivalent to 000 steel wool at a Home Depot (paint department). It feels exactly the same as my purple one, so I guess the purple one was ok all along.
Since then, I have called on a competitor of 3M in my regular job. Turns out there are several companies in addition to 3M making these. The guy there told me that there would always be a steel wool equivalency, so I guess you really don't need to worry about the color so much as this equivalency.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 07:27AM

So, from your replies so far, it's the light gray one that is most used for our purposes?

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 07:29AM

Ralph:
I purchased single pads from a local auto parts store.
Bob.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 08:59AM

I get my pads from Lowes. I use the green one's, but then I only use them for scuffing areas that I'm gluing the handle parts to

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 09:31AM

What you want is the 7448 Grey or the 7447 maroon. We stock these for sale if you need them.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster