I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Surf Rod
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 05:03PM

I am getting ready to build my first surf rod on a GSW902MH blank. 9', white. I want to use inexpensive guides, but hope to find them in gold. I would really appreciate suggestions on guide choices. I plan to build it as a spinning rod. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Surf Rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 05:53PM

Who makes that blank and what's the weight range? That would help narrow the choices.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 07:39PM

Fuji or Pac Bay Hardloys in gold fit the bill perfectly

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 08, 2006 08:03PM

Fran - regarding the use of gold-plated guide frames in salt-water: Not all are created equal. The corrosion resistance of some brands of gold-colored guide frames to salt water is less than satisfactory. ... Which brands?: Others can tell. ... I'm just offering a general "warning" at this point. ... Apparently, careful washing and waxing after each use can avoid serious corruption. Read on.

Review the content of the Post & Replies below,
to round out your own opinion. Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++

Gold finish + saltwater? ... Ted Morgan ... Aug. 15, 2005 09:10
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"Would like to hear from anyone who has used gold framed guides (Fuji or Pac bay) for rods used in the salt. I have customer who wants gold but is also concerned about whether the finish will hold up to hard fishing in the salt, even with regular TLC. Thanks a lot guys." Ted Morgan, Australia.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 09:14PM

I agree with Cliff.Cheap guides have no place in the surf.Even with a good washing they corrode.they are probably corrodding on the beach while you fish.Unless that is you dont mind replacing them every so often.I dont always get to do a fresh water washdown right after fishing and have paid for it with corrosion on decent quality guides.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: June 08, 2006 10:14PM

The blank is an Amtack blank from Mudhole. If the gold frames are risky, what frame would be a better choice? I'm really interested in knowing which profile would work best on the rod . I appreciate the help.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.153.232.44.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 12:38AM

It's not that the gold frames are risky, it's just that you need to be aware of their resistance to corosion, which in salt is a whole 'nopther ting than it is in freshwater. Start with stainless guides, perhaps anodized, but even then make sure the manufacturer specifies them for saltwater.

The various suppliers can guide you on this.

The frame designs are a matter for a whole separate discussion. Single foot, single-foot reinforced, double-foot "straight" or "curved", "S"-style guides (essentially, double foot/double frame), double-foot at the first half and signle foot as you approach the tip - all are perfectly valid for the surf depending on what you will fish for, how flexible you want the rod to turn out, etc., etc. Which is a way for me to avoid recommending any one style because I don't think there's any one or two "best" for the purpose.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 09:32AM

Fran,
I have four AMTAK surf rods to build. I will use the Fuji Hardloy Hi V guides in the double feet. Good inexpensive guides and should last a long time if taken care of. Stay away from the gold guides; I have had bad experiences with Fuji Hardloy gold guides, they rust too easily.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 01:01PM

I'm assuming the weight range on that blank is up to about 4oz. I would look at the Fuji BSVLG or Batson equivalent and go "new concept"-ish. I did one for my brother-in-law last year using BSVLG 40, BLVLG 25, 16, 10 then BLG 10 (the single foot "fly" type guide) out to the end. I have the Fuji Hi V in a 40 and it will definitely get the line way off the blank, but seemed like it would be too much for anything but the bigest spinning reels with longer rods. I have used quality guides on a number of saltwater sticks over the year, always flush them thuroughly with fresh water at the end of every day and have never had a problem. I am currently doing a light 9' rod to use at the coast and I am using the Forecast VS3 guides, which are similar in height to the Fuji BYAG; and if this is a lighter rod with a not so huge reel then that might be all you need.

Date: June 09, 2006 10:36PM

Marty, I have a set of BSVLG guides, but my largest is a 30. This blank is rated for 15-30# line, 3/4-4oz lures. Do you think I need to start with a 40?

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:24PM

Refer to Tom Kirkman's article in the Library (on the menu bar above) entitled "New Guide Concept Primer".
Follow the instructions and you will very easily determine the proper size guides for your new surf rod. I fish the surf and know how abrasive windblown sand can be. Added to the obvious corrosive salt air and you can see the need for quality guides.

I am very happy with the hardiness of Fuji Alconites (in black) as a low cost guide. If the budget will allow I prefer Fuji SIC guides in black. If I could pull out all stops I'd use Fuji Titanium guides. Another very nice option is the American Tackle line of TiN coated guides avaiable with silver, gold, blue or holo rings. These are heavier than the Alconites and other Fuji guides mentioned so that needs to be taken into account.

Your project is on the light side of surf rods. Lighter guides will be a benefit in this application where they would not be as noticable on a real heaver. For price, durability and performance Alconites will serve you well.
I only use them in black so I cannot speak for the durability of the SS finish.
Wishing you a good build and lots of good catches.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: June 11, 2006 07:47PM

Fran,
If you really want the gold framed guides, the Pac Bay gold finish appears to be far superior to the other gold finishes I've used. It's a Ti finish called TiGold. Like the other I usually steer clear of gold and saltwater, but a customer wanted gold guides and hardware on his flyrod and this finish seems to hold up so far. He's used it to fish for searun cutthroat trout in the saltchuck, but he also cleans his gear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster