I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Throwing Big Bugs
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 03:01PM

I will be fishing in Ontario, throwing big bugs for Northerns and Muskies as well as throwing poppers for Smallmouth. Can anyone recommend a blank as well as an intermediate line, 7-8 weight? Ontario = cold fresh water.

I am considering an RX7+, Dan Craft FT, and St. Croix Legend Ultra.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Throwing Big Bugs
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 05:20PM

the dan craft FT is an absolute cannon. i built a 9' 4wt and was throwing 6wt shooting heads 70ft in my front yard with no practice on the rod. a good caster could do much better i'm sure. these rods will get it done. as for the line you would use someone else may have a better idea on that.
i just happened to have a reel with a six wt fast sinking shooting head laying around when i tested the rod. maybe you should look at a 6wt FT. check out the ccs data.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 05:33PM

Larger streamers for Northern and Muskie often are most easily handled by an 8 or 9 weight rod. Most "experts" will claim the 9 wt. is an ideal rod. For smallies, you can get by with a much lighter rod, say a 7 wt. which is an all around nice rod for throwing those large poppers and such. Just remember that a heavier rod can throw something light but a lighter weight rod can not throw those heavier water logged socks.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 05:43PM

Scientific Anglers Pike line is a really great line for big bugs.

7-8 is very good Bass range. I'd pick 7 for Smallies and 8 for greenies.

9 is a very good Pike weight. I prefer 10 for Muskie.

If I had to pick a rod for both Smallie and Pike, it would be an 8.

Can't advise on the blanks. I've got a couple of Loomis GL4's that I've been very happy with and haven't really tried anything else. I did cast an 8 weight LU when I was at St. Croix in their test pond. I really enjoyed that blank.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 07:02PM

Tony... My son and I go up to Ontario each year to fly fish for the Northerns and smallmouth. Talk about a hoot. We tend to fish lighter rods than others might recommend. We take two rods apiece: one 8'6" or 9' five or six weight, and a 9' seven or eight weight. We're getting ready to go right now (leave next weekend). This year I'll take a 9 ft 8 wt built on a 4 piece Forecast blank w/ an A10 seat and fixed fighting butt . The other rod will be a 5 wt built on a 9' 4 piece Rainshadow RX7 blank. I'll probably up-line to a 6 wt WF line. The RX7 blanks are a nice compromise between quality and cost. We tie poppers, bunny leeches, and deceivers for these fish. We also tie a few "widow makers" for the pike, but they take the bunny leeches just like the smallies. My son is a talented hair bug tier, but we usually don't take hair bug patterns... they're no match for the Canadian smallies (destroyed in no time). Hope this helps. Best, Vance

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 07:21PM

I use the St. Croix 4f968 for both salmon/steelhead and bass. Throws big bugs and poppers very very well. Very easy to cast a long ways with great accuracy. I am nothing like an expert fly caster, but this rod makes me look like one. It will even cast well a 450 grain sink tip. That's like a 12 weight line. Amazing power, and firm enough for quick hook sets on hit and run fish like bass and trout.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 09:49AM

You didn't say what size the poppers you'll be usin are, but for smalies, they're generally nothin tooo crazy big.
The CTS Affinity Plus 7wt. or 8wt. would serve you very well.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 01:50PM

I would reply to each of you individually, but there are so many of you. Thanks to all who replied.

Vance Corbett, I was thinking about bunny leeches! What colors work well for you?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 02:00PM

I've always had good luck with chartreuse, white and black. The Dahlberg Mega Divers are also a good pike/musky fly. Cabelas used to carry them, haven't looked lately.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 02:35PM

Tony,

I would use a stout 8 weight.........make sure you have plenty of backing and a reel with a good drag. You can get by from my experience with a good WF floating line. Even with the intermediate you still can't get that deep so you mostly end up fishing weed cover and brush/trees....which you can do with the Floating line. I would bring some heavy braided line for a tippett...wire is not very castable IMO. Bring a good pair of long handled pliers for removing hooks. A good tailing glove is nice Pike & Muskies have a heavy layer of slim and can be a handful if you catch a big one. Use big flies for Musky...large muskies feed on adult walleye commonly...if that gives you a hint.

Keep your fingers out of their mouth an big musky can break a 10 inch wooden bait in half...I have seen it.

Muskiies canada has a good website if you are interested..have fun.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 04:36PM

The Dan Craft 8' FT is a great blank, I use it for Steelhead fishing mostly and some bass/pike fishing. It's nice for pike flies but a little overkill for bass popers. Anyhow, I set up with two lines - an 8wt floating line, and a shooting line (terminiating with mono) for chuck and duck. I've obtained some shooting heads (2 sink, 1 float) and it shoots like a rocket - much fun.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 06:02PM

Tony... Spencer's advice is on the money based on our experience... Olive or olive and black leeches are also producers. Like Joe, we don't use wire or coated wire for tippet. We end the leader with a 10-inch piece of "shock tippet" (20 or 24 pound test Maxima)... and five bucks for jaw spreaders is five bucks well spent. Jaw spreaders will help you get your fly out in a hurry -- lessening the potential to harm these beautiful fish. Best, Vance

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2006 08:37PM

Once again, great info.. Thanks guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster