I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish
Posted by: Chris Ritter (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 09:50AM

How many coats of finish do you generally use on your guide wraps? My 1-coat finish doesn't seem nearly as thick as rods from commercial vendors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 10:03AM

2 applications of ThreadMaster...not because it won't build with 1 application, but because I like the versatility of 2 applications. The actual number of applications depends on the size and type of guide wrap.

Also, you have to remember you can put several applications withing 24-36 hours, and it still constitutes 1 coat as they will "melt" into one another.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 10:04AM

For myself I usually use 2 coats. One to soak the threads and I take most of the finish off. The second coat finishes it off and I keep it light, just enough to cover the threads.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 10:14AM

Ditto Mike...

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing products

Posted by: John Britt (---.9-67.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2006 12:20PM

I use one coat on repairs and most times two applications on custom work as Andy said most times it can be done in one but two offers better options
John

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 04:36PM

I use ThreadMaster. The first coat goes on very thinly and after 7 or 8 hours I apply a second thin coat. That eliminates the problem one has with bubbles when using epoxy finishes.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 08:18PM

Same here. I do two coats. The first coat is applied in big globs, then I fill the tunnels, then I take every little bit of excess finish back off with my brush, making sure to mop up the excess that accumulates behind the guide leg. Once the first coat has dried, I go through and trim any "fuzzies" that have appeared. (I probably have more than the average number of "fuzzies," as I often switch my thread colors two or three times during a guide wrap.) Then, I do a second thin coat. On the second coat, I follow the process outlined in RM. I put a fair bit on each guide, let sag and remove excess, turn 180 degrees, let sag and remove excess, repeat a couple times. Again, I make sure to mop up the excess that accumulates behind the guide leg.

If I'm using CP (which I hardly ever do), I might just use one coat.

I'm looking for the thinnest coat(s) of finish I can use that still covers the thread. I don't know where I read this, but I use the rule of thumb that the coat(s) of finish should be just thick enough that I can't distinguish individual threads, but no thicker.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 10, 2006 12:14AM

Hello Chris
Most all commercial rods are done in two coats.
U40 LS High Build is designed as a one coat. On most repairs I do one coat. On custom rods I like to use at least two and sometimes three coats to get the depth and shape desired on butt wraps. On guide wraps remember that weight added is the enemy of performance. So try not to use to much finish on the upper half of the rod. U40 LS High Build gives a nice square look in one coat on the upper half of the rod.
LS Supreme is designed as a two more coat finish.
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: June 10, 2006 10:13AM

I used LS High Build on two rods recently. Just like Joe said, one coat on guides and two on butt wraps. I'm very happy with the results.

Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster