I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglass fibreglass fly blanks
Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 02:53PM

Has anyone built on the Lamiglass Fibreglass fly blanks? I am thinking of building one for a smaller river mostly dry fly rod....what do you think of them...what are the actions like....they list as slow...but I'm wondering if they have some backbone...Don't want a wet spaghetti noodle if you know what I mean.

Or does anyone have a suggestion for an alternate glass blank? Looking for a 7 to 8 footer in a 3 or 4 wt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglass fibreglass fly blanks
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 03:41PM

i have built on three of them. i find them to be pleasant rods to cast on small streams. of the three my favorite is a two piece 7' 3wt. i also have a
6pc 6'6" . i fish it as a three. it started as a three piece and i cut it and ferruled it as a six pc. i have been told that the 6'6" in two piece is a different action than the three pc and should be avoided as being too noodley. i also have a 7'6" two piece four wt. that is ok but has not been fished since i got my mark fitch 7'6" paul young perfectionist taper bamboo. all in all they are nice blanks and make a pretty rod. good small stream stuff for smallish fish.

Date: June 07, 2006 05:14PM

I am assuming that you are talking about the honey colored E glass blanks and not the S glass or composite blanks.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 05:54PM

Joe,
I would agree with Larry, do the multi piece models. Either the 3 or 6 piece. My favorite in this series is the 7'6" 4wt. I have that in a 10 piece model and I just love it.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: June 07, 2006 06:27PM

TODD, if you could tell me how does the action on the honey colored glass blanks compare to the new brown ones? are the brown ones S glass or still E?

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 07:29PM

Joe,

Other current fiberglass blank makers include Diamondback and Steffen Brothers.

[www.steffenbrothersflyrods.com]

[www.diamondbackflyrods.com]

Both have gotten very good reviews from the fiberglass rod gurus on the [p097.ezboard.com] board The Diamondglass is known to be a bit faster than other fiberglass rods.

Hope this helps.

-John

PS: Another alternative is to get an older fiberglass rod and re-do it. @#$%& always has a number of glass rods on @#$%& at any one time.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 07:44PM

But @#$%& does not support this site!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 08:36PM

the line of lamiglas rods and the corresponding model numbers from the PDF can be dizzying to me at times. maybe i'm just getting old. is the "brush creek" line still available as blanks? were these fiberglass at all? todd, you once raved about its design and i've always been interested. now the new brown spring creeks are intriguing too, as well as those composite glass/graphite blanks.

when it comes to the diamondback glass blanks, keep in mind, the 2 pc models differ in action andd feel than the three pc models.. from what i read at least.

larry, would you mind sending a private email to me? i'd like to discuss that perfectionist of yours, if you don't mind.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.238.182.51.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.net)
Date: June 08, 2006 12:47AM

The E-glass rods were generally a bit "softer" in the last three feet of the rod (at the tip end) than the "S" series.

I've found these blanks to be very nice to build on. Nice progressive actions and a low cost. Easy to cast if built within the delivered action. Not the mkost powerful but then pure "power" isn't necessarily what the client wants. I do like the multi-piece over the single-piece in a fly blank, though.

Uncle Russ

Date: June 08, 2006 11:35AM

Guys thanks for all the responses...

I found a 7' 3wt 2pc on one of the sponsors sites that I think I'm going to buy......I have looked at the steffen bros and diamondback sites already and just didn't seem to get a feel for what you are buying.

Besides they aren't sponsors here like Mike said. I have never heard anyone on this site with a bad word about Todd or the lamiglass products,but lots of good ones.

Also the problem with @#$%& is you don't really know the condition of what you are buying (other than a few pics) or who you are dealing with. Might be a good deal or it might not !

Date: June 08, 2006 12:27PM

joe, i think you will like that rod very much. i know i do. for wraps there are several colors that look nice, but i used gudebrod 340 gold with color preserver and tipped with yellow. gudbrod classic twist in black and yellow (actually a light green) with CP is nice and on one of mine i used
piersols naples silk in chestnut with no color preserver. its very pretty. i used light snakes with an agate stripper. cigar grip with strubel nickle silver real seat dowlocking with a nice cocobolo insert. the rod is a sweet caster with a dual taper cortland sylk three wt or a rio grand wt forward 4.

Date: June 08, 2006 02:18PM

Larry

You are getting me excited..stop that.

I am planning a goldish yellow color not sure what # gudebrod tipped with black.....I'm going to use cp. I am going to use an agate stripper. I might use single ft guides instead of snakes (not classic but I like them on light rods). I have a pc of box elder burl to turn into a spacer that I have been saving that is absolutly beautiful...w nickel silver skeleton. I have a Rio 4 wt line I am going to try on it then go from there.....can't wait.

Date: June 08, 2006 05:13PM

Sounds like a great build. the single foot guides will be great i think.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: June 09, 2006 11:11AM

Larry,
the Spring Creek (brown blanks) are totally different than the honey two piece models. While they are still tip over butt the butt section and a short distance up the tip has been changed to remove that "tail wagging" effect.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster