I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Panic ! then laughter! flocking error
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 07:18PM

All you flockers should appreciate this story.

While flocking the cord grips on the butt section of the surf rod built and
sent to me by Dave Gilberg ( see photo page)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I inadvertently got some of the blue adhesive on the Fuji Cobra $50 reel seat.
I didn't notice this until I started applying the flock and about when I did.
Quickly got a paper towel wetted with ISO and tried to wipe it off and all it did
was smear the iso didn't phase the glue at all. Decided not to mess with it any
further in fear of screwing up the flock job and also figured I could get it off easily
enough after it was OK to mess with the rod and mess up the flock.
Then after completing the flocking I went to remove the glue that I got on my skin
and I could NOT get it off to save my soul!! Read the label on the can and the tutorial
I have looking for clean-up instructions and NOTHING! Finally had to sand it off my hands enough to not have it be noticed to badly. Fortunately I had not thought about the glue on
the reel seat.
Well, 4 days later and I'm talking to Dave G. on the PC and he wants to see pics
of the grips being very excited to see how it turned out! (I had not told him about
the glue mishap yet). So, I take some photos and send them and he is very happy!
But when I take the photos I see the glue on the seat and PANIC set in in a hurry!!
How am I going to get that off the seat when I could not get it off my hand? !
That is when I tell him about my screw-up. We both started thinking about different
solvents and things and he is not to worried cus I tell him its only a small area anyway
and barely noticed. So then I take a close-up photo of the seat and send it and PANIC!!!!
twice as bad now cus the camera saw blue fingerprints and other spots I did not see all
with tiny fibers stuck there as well. OH KNOW!!! this seat really looks bad now and I cant
even attempt to get it off until I can touch the grips!
Flocking is supposed to be about bullet proof so I'm thinking its going to be a lost cause
to try and get it off. Especially now that it has been on there 4 days. I'm really bummed now
after ruining a really nice reel seat and it wasn't mine to boot!
Dave and I talk some more and come to the conclusion that today I will call Donjer and
hopefully they will have some good news but it was not hopeful.
Then I get real @#$%& at myself and know that I am going to have to re-build and re-flock
that rod and say ! I don't wait any longer for the flock to set so I pick up the rod,
feel the flocking, it's solid!! Go to scrape the blue glue on the seat with my thumb nail
to see just how bad it is and it comes RIGHT OFF!!! not a mark! no peeling! DID NOT
STICK ONE BIT!!! HOOOO RAYYYYYY!!!!!
Here all week I stressed over it and then PANICKED when I really saw what I did all for
nothing!! Dave and I laughed and laughed!! still perplexed though as to why it did not
stick? Also, don't understand why no CLEAN-UP instructions are on the can?
At least Dave and I can have a stress-less weekend now!! LOL!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2006 07:38PM by Raymond_Adams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Panic ! then laughter! flocking error
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 08:10AM

When you posted your pictures I gandered at them for a few minutes and thought I should leave all comments to others. After reading the soliloquy on your flocking technique I suggest that you make a DVD on Shakey Side Flocking. You should make enough money to pay for all future rodbuilding expenses.

Date: June 03, 2006 09:44AM

Bill,

Comment away. Please!! Good or bad I always welcome them.

While I think they turned out OK it could have gone better and I
would have prefered to flock something off the rod but that obviously
could not be done in this case.

What is the best method for removing misplace adhesive and clean up?

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: June 03, 2006 04:00PM

Hay Ray;
At least they wern't the old Wolf Man Grips!!! Did ya have to throw out the electric razor afterwards? LOL

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Date: June 03, 2006 04:04PM

Yes I did Fred! LOL!
Having the blades sharpened was twice the cost of the cheap razor!!

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster