I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about sulky thread....
Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2006 04:23PM

I was wondering, for those of you who HAVE used Sulky thread before...does it work well? Can you ONLY use the metallics, or can you use the other colors as well. Have not tried it yet, but was wanting to. I will be wrapping a friend's rod and he really likes blue, grey and silver. So was wondering if I could use the blue and grey in the sulky or if you guys only use the metallics. Any info. would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for all of your help! You guys rock!

wishn i was fishn...at the beach! <*)}}}><

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about sulky thread....
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 06:24PM

Haven't used the Sulky I have yet but If try the SEARCH button and use all dates and authors
youll find lots of posts. This should tide you over til some replys post here.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 06:44PM

Lori, I've used Sulky threads, both the metallics and the polyester threads. Would NOT recommend the rayon thread at all. I get Sulky thread at Hancock Fabric and like to purchase thread there when Hancock has their periodic 1/2 price sales.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 02, 2006 06:59PM

Lori,
I recently built a rod using the colors you mentioned...I did a Yankees themed rod for a friend and weaved pinstripes into the wrap...used Sulky holoshimmer for the stripes over a dark blue poly. Both work great. I usually wrap very tight and put alot of tension by hand on the thread. The holoshimmer is not a very strong thread but the poly threads are pretty tough. I wrapped the guides with the poly with a double wrap of the holo to trim them. The only complaint I have is that the holo has some memory to it and the spools being long and skinny and the holo being a flat mylar type of thread...makes it so you have to pay close attention to avoid twists. When you line off a couple feet and let it lay on the table it spirals with memory.

Look forward to seeing more of your and your husbands work.
Jeff

Oh and one more thing...I notice Sulky brand threads are mislabeled on the spools alot. There is a color and number on each spool at the rim of one edge...alot of times it is not the volor that is on the spool. Not a big deal when you pick the colors out from the rack at the store...but if you reference a color on your rack at home...you may run into a misprinted spool. Check when you purchase these threads at different stores that the spool number matches the number on the rack. I have several spools of holoshimmer that say some blue color and they are silver and cranberry colored. I bought them because i like the colors...but later realized I have no idea what the true colors and numbers actually are if i want to reorder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2006 07:04PM by Jeff Harding.

Posted by: Michael Friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2006 07:57PM

Thanks Jeff! :)

That helps me A LOT! Especially since there is a Hancock Fabric Store RIGHT behind the house. Like w/in walking distance. I went in there today and was looking around. Could not find ANY madeira thread though. Although, one girl told me they do not carry it. By chance do you know who might? Thanks again for all of your help!

Lori

The secret to fishing is fish where the fish are!!!

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 09:42PM

@#$%& one of the sponsors at the left carries it, I think in the 1100 meter spools. They are really nice people give them a call and ask. You might also try calling Madeira USA at 1-800-225-3001 ext. 116. That will get you to Trish Clement. Tell Trish the DragonMaster told you to call. She is in customer service and may be able to find out who near you carries their thread.

Date: June 02, 2006 10:13PM

Mr. Upton

Thank you SO much! I will give her a call on Monday. I really appreciate your help! :)

Lori Friske

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 11:41PM

You are welcome and Jim will do just fine.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2006 05:00AM

Sulky, Madeira, Coates and Clark , Superior and others carry some kind of "poly' embrodiery threads, and use fancy names like "polysheen" "polyneon" etc...When shopping around, keywords like High Speed embrodeiry machines...40wt...and Poly(whatever), are helpful.

Rayons are evil.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 03, 2006 06:31AM

Stay away from rayon!!! I have tried them and they are not rodbuilding friendly :-(

Date: June 03, 2006 01:17PM

Thanks for the tip Scott! That is VERY good to know. Especially for newbies...such as myself. Thanks again, Lori :)

Date: June 04, 2006 10:02AM

Thanks! Good to know that Rayons are like Kryptonite to rod builders! :) I will make sure I stay away from them. And thanks for the other brands as well, cuz my Mom has TONS of threads. So I might have to take a l@@k and see what she has. She has given me some but will now have to check to see what brand they are and maybe they will get used in a future wrap.
Thanks again,
Lori

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: June 05, 2006 02:24AM

Also remember that some threads, especially those used in high speed embroidery, are treated with a lubricant (silicone based?!!!!!), so CP is a must to avoid fisheyes when you hit it with epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster