I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using power wrap.
Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 02, 2006 02:35PM

I would like to pose a question. How many rod builders use a power wrapper to wrap guides on a blank? I can see using one for an underwrap because it would save alot of time. I use it to wrap guides on also but I do see that I get alot of gaps when doing it this way. Could the speed that I am turning rod be the problem? I try to burnish the threads as much as possible but still gaps. I guess I am a perfectionist when it comes to this. I feel that if a customer is paying high dollar for a rod then it should be perfect. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Madfish Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using power wrap.
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 02, 2006 03:12PM

Proper guide prep and practice, practice,practice, grasshopper. You'll have a guide finished in under a minute

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: June 02, 2006 03:17PM

Typically takes me about 1/2 hour to wrap, pack, put in an inlay and trim band on your typical 7 rod with 7 guides doing it by hand.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: June 02, 2006 03:47PM

I'll use the wrapper for guides. It may be your thread carriage is not tracking smoothly as you wrap or your speed isn't constant. Stopping and starting, or slowing down will cause gaps, stopping to correct an overrun will also do it. Sometimes using a burnishing tool to help guide the wraps against each as you turn helps.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 04:26PM

Also make sure you have the thread angled back against the direction you are wrapping. This will help keep the threads packed just from the wrapping process. Only time I have to really wacth things is when the thread first comes to the guide foot. Once it starts up ok, the I can continue wrapping without a problem most of the time. I mainly like the power wrapping of anything since I do have the startings of carple tunnel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster