I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for blank/setup for pier rod
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: May 30, 2006 10:09AM

One of my sons is going to be visiting the SC low country often this summer(girlfriend, what else). The island he will be visiting has a fishing pier as part of the nature preserve. I've only fished piers on occasion and always just used my inshore rigs. I know that this would work OK for him, but would like to build him a rod to use specifically on the pier and with the techniques for the most frequently biting species (Spots, Croaker, Taylor Blues, Flounder, etc). Any suggestions for blanks, setup and extra durability is most appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for blank/setup for pier rod
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 30, 2006 10:27AM

Where in SC? I'm from SC and vacation a couple of weeks each summer on the coast and fish daily when there. It would help me to visualize the pier if I knew which one and where it is. Having said that, most folk around here to not use really big stuff on the piers. It probably does not need to be too long, would probably never need to throw more than 3 oz and will honestly probably not need to handle really large fish. Tell me where it is and I'll have more in mind.

Date: May 30, 2006 10:40AM

Hunting Island. [www.huntingisland.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2006 10:44AM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas81.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2006 10:46AM

If you can go on the Internet and find out what people recommend in those places you fish, it would give you an idea of what to build.
If there is any casting, ring guides, if just dropping in the water re coils will be lighter with a ring tip top.
Then it depends on the weight of the lure and line being used and fish that are there. One guy wanted a long rod to keep the fish out from under a pier. I'm thinking a 8-9 footer.
Looks like a nice place. Every one will be on the end of the pier ?? They talk shark, maybe a composite might be in order. Another thing, will you pick the fish up out of the water, or use a net ?? The net sounds better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2006 10:56AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 30, 2006 10:59AM

Looking at the park site, I would build him something that could do double duty for pier or light surf, probably 8 or 9 feet rated 1-3oz. The kicker is you usually don't need that much rod for the fish, but you need it to throw the weight. The beaches are basically shallow, clean and sandy but sometimes I use 3oz if the surf is rough (by our standards). Fishing from the pier you probably throw more like 1oz with small bait. The fish are not usually huge, though you do have to lift them to the pier and catch the occassional ray or shark in the surf so I agree with needing durability.
All that to say that I would use a light surf blank or a heavy steelhead blank, both of which are available in 2-piece (if he's travelling I assume 1-piece is a problem). I like the stuff made by Batson or Lami, the latter if cash is not an issue. My two most-used sticks are a Lami PSB 120-2L for the surf (sweet at 2oz, handles 3) and a 1264 steelhead rod I use for lighter stuff. This year I'm also building a Forecast ST1084 to throw light jigs for pompano. If I was ONLY going to fish from the pier I would also look at the heavier St. Croix inshore travel rods which are 7ft and break down into 3 pieces.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas81.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2006 11:07AM

Marty makes a good point. The longer rod may help in the surf if the pier is crowed ??

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 30, 2006 12:18PM

Steve Rushing -- Go to [fishsticks4u.com] and check out the rod specs for the RAINSHADOW RX4-COMPOSITE SWS-540. The model above (5400) and below (597), too. ...

I'll explain later, ... I'll have to leave to get back to work. Rod length & power; and the rod as a fish hoist (not too short); and the pier rail as a rod holder (not too long) is what I'll discuss later. The rest is predicated on the expected size of the fish and how he fishes (leader length).

If he needs to cast into the surf AND use this as a pier rod as well, a 2-piece 9-foot is my recommendation.

Otherwise a nice 7.5-foot, 1-piece quality composite, like the RS-RX4 SWS-540, is my first choice for a PIER ROD.

Bye for now, -Cliff Hall+++,
former Pier-Rat, Surf-Dog and Jetty-Jockey.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 30, 2006 12:21PM

Hello if your son will be fishing bait get him a Down East rod holder that will clamp to the railing these are the best !!!!!!!!!!![www.cabelas.com]

Date: May 30, 2006 01:07PM

Fishsticks4u has two Batson blanks on their site that I think would work:
SW967F - rated to 2oz, 8ft, 2pc
SU1145 - rated to 1.5oz, 9.5ft 2pc
Both are rated at less than 3oz, but I'm guessing you could do it if you were careful.

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: May 30, 2006 01:23PM

To follow up on Cliff Hall's message, I got the SWS-5400 from Andy Dear of Lamar Fishing at the Charlotte Show for $10. He may have more of the blanks left so you might want to check with him first if that is the blank you intend to go with.

-John

Date: June 01, 2006 07:44AM

Thanks for the replies. As is most often the case, I think I need to build out more than 1 rod :) I'm going to look into the 540 for the "punishable" pier rod and a 1145 or similiar for the smaller, but tasty, surf species. Thanks again.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 05, 2006 08:51PM

RainShadow Saltwater Blanks (SWS / SW)
[www.fishsticks4u.com]
RAINSHADOW RX4-COMPOSITE SWS-540.
RS-RX4 Model #: SWS-540 ... Matte Clear ... 7'8" ... 1-piece
15-25 lb. ... 3/4 - 3 oz. ... 0.765" ... 6.0 / 64ths ...
Fast ... Med ... 5.46 oz. ... $53.00 - Add [FS4U].

The longest one-piece jetty-pier stick that he can stuff in his car or stow in his apartment that is at least 7 feet long but not quite or over 9 feet long is what I would recommend.

For Surf Rods that are 9 feet and longer, when you lay the rod against the pier rail as a "hands-free" device, there is simply too much rod length sticking butt-out into the traffic on the pier for people to trip over. That’s hard on the fishing tackle and builds tension between the fishermen.

Also, having more than ~2 feet of rod tip sticking out past the pier rail is a great way to have your surf rod go flying over the rail, as if it had been spirited away like a witch's broom. A long rod gives a hard-hitting fish too much leverage to send the entire rod & reel airborne, like an ancient catapult. Having more than ~12 inches of rod blank tip extending beyond the rail is a great way to put an abrupt end to an otherwise pleasant day on the pier.

IMO, on the pier, a good 7-1/2' rod blank is easier to deal with than a 9' surf pole.

You are right to build a 2nd rod for your son’s girlfriend? Better to have a possible daughter-in-law who fishes than a fishing widow. IMO, -Cliff Hall+++, FL.

Date: June 07, 2006 08:42AM

Thanks for the post and email. Thanks for taking the time to provide specs and details. The girlfriend does fish. In fact there is a 3rd order for a rod for her to fish for flounder. That one will be on a IP843 (or maybe 844). One of my "jobs" over the last few years is to be the rod supplier for my sons and daughter. Now looks like may be building for an extending family. My fishing buddies refer to me as the "First National Bank and Rod Building Company of Dad" (and yak loaner company). :) The good news is we all love fishing together and I couldn't ask for any thing better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster