I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide feet protection for blank.
Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: May 29, 2006 07:24PM

Hi,

I''ve been spending the last few weeks going through all 640(!) pages of threads to gain some very useful and new information from you guys. So thank you very much.

I know Mr. Kirkman has already answered a similar question regarding what I'm going to ask anyway (http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,193213,193227#msg-193227), but I thought I'd try and get other peoples opinions on the matter too.

Basically I'm creating a 7' finesse spinning rod for Bream (equivalent to what you guys call "crappies" I think (I'm from Australia)). This is the first time I've created an ultralight rod and its the first time I've used single foot guides. I've always underbound my guides (more for aesthestics and for misinformed protection for the blank I guess). However for this rod I want to make it as light as possible, therefore no underwraps will be used.

So my question is, do you guys use anything at all the "protect" the blank when using no underbinds? I've heard of people using a small piece of masking tape underneath the guide to act as somewhat of a cushion. I have also seen flexcoat guide adhesive being marketed as a temporary fixative for the guides as well as providing protection for the blank. I was thinking of using a small piece of black electrical tape, has anyone else done this before or am I really worrying about nothing (as long as I have perfectly smooth guide feet with no burrs etc)?

Sorry for the long winded first post.

Thanks.
Mike.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide feet protection for blank.
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: May 29, 2006 07:28PM

for freshwater rods there is really no need for underwraps or protection however proper guide foot preperation makes it or brakes it.. what i usually do i keep a scrap blank on hand if the guide scrathes the blank then i go back and smooth things out ........tight wraps ...........Rob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 08:01PM

I agree that underwraps are not necessary as long as the feet are properly prepared.I use the top of my finger nail as a scratch test.A lot softer that a blank and I still have 10 at ready access.May have been Tom Kirkman that chimed in on a recient thread and said if they were necessary the blank manufactures would require it for warrenty to valid.Good Point.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2006 08:08PM

Guide feet won't harm your blank in any way. Just keep them flat, smooth and wrap with snug, not tight, tension.

If you want to go the extra mile - take a non-tapered chainsaw file and make four or five passes along the underside of each guide foot. This will quickly remove any high spots along with slightly contouring the foot underside to match that of the blank. The easy way to do this is to lock the file in a vise, set the guide on top of the file, and make long, smooth pass in the direction of cut. At end of pass, lift guide, replace it at the starting point and go again. Four or five should be all you need.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 29, 2006 09:08PM

For Ultra-Lites -- No underwraps (underbounds).

In general, and in my opinion, using any sort of electrical tape or colored plastic tape as an underwrap would be inferior to a thread winding as an underwrap or trim wraps, if and when underwraps or trim wraps may be desired.

Tape looks amateurish under epoxy, in my opinion, and can slip, whereas a thread winding will never slip. I used to have some older commercial rods made with tape underwraps, and the bitter taste of their poorer quality lasts longer than the sweetness of their false economy. ... IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++, FL-USA*****

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 30, 2006 07:40AM

Good advice from everyone, let me add this to it. If you will purchase one of the glue sticks from one of our sponsers,you can hold those single foot guides in place while you wrap but it also has the added advantage of giving a buffer between the rod and the guide foot. Heat the stick in your flame and touch the guide foot to it and stick it on the rod and hold down with your thumb for a few seconds. Any excess glue sticking out from the sides can be removed with a fingernail while it is still soft. Some people don't like the glue sticks but I have been using them for years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster