I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Addition To Magazine
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2006 08:11AM

During the nearly 10 years that I've been producing RodMaker Magazine, one thing I've enjoyed is bringing the craft a few slices of rod building history every now and then. Andy Dear has conducted some really great interviews with folks who are intertwiined in custom rod building history. As time moves along, I think it's great that the thoughts and histories of these gentlemen have been recorded for posterity. Future generations of rod builders will enjoy knowing how their craft has evolved over the years.

Now I'd like to take it a step farther and begin a column on the history of actual rod building items. Old stuff and the history behind it. The only trouble was in finding somebody who goes back far enough and who was involved at a level that would enable them to really have a behind the scenes knowledge, to write such a column. Luckily, there is one man who has been involved at nearly every level of custom rod building over the past 60 years. He has knowledge and insight on this craft and its related people and parts, that almost no one else can come close to. I'm talking about Gene Bullard.

I spoke with Gene yesterday and he has agreed to do a column in future issues on old, historically significant rod building items. Those of you who remember Gene's catalogs or quarterly newsletters will appreciate his writing style and keen insights into the world of custom rod building. His first column will appear in the Volume 9 #4 issue of RodMaker. Look for it in August.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Addition To Magazine
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.42.163.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 09:43AM

Good Morning Tom,
I want to thank you in advance for adding a new and very good addition to Rodmaker. I look forward to reading the history of how our equipment evolved. I hope Gene write a bit about the evolution of different materials used for rod blanks. I would really like to know more about the types of fiberglass resins that were used and How fiberglass evolved.

Mike Blomme

Date: May 27, 2006 10:42AM

Gene knew so many people in this industry and was actually insttumental in the development of many of the items we use today. He'll be covereing a wide array of items and topics.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 01:26PM

Super!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 01:38PM

Tom,
You never cease to amaze me! I really am looking forward to shaking your
hand in High Point next year!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.rb2.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 04:18PM

Tom,
That sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to reading Gene's column.
Ron

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 10:21PM

Tom,
The history I've found so far seems to repeat itself with subtle changes over time. I've found a treasure trove of 15-20 year-old Guild magazines, some with articles by TK, and I've found many of the same (or similar) Q&A's that we find on this forum today. I'm looking forward to the history lessons being presented by a man who helped make the history. Keep up the great work!

Clyde Thomas

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 11:28PM

I have the same series of publications that Clyde refers to, and they certainly do make for interesting, informative reading and for getting new ideas. The series dates back to about 30 years of rodbuilding, and efforts of individuals to solve various problems.

Tom Kirkman, however, has set a new standard of sharing of rodbuilding information by RodMaker, this forum and the high quality educational seminars at the winter exposition. I've been able to attend all three previous Charlotte Shows and they keep on getting better.

If you enjoy rodbuilding, the best "bang" is the Rodbuilders Show (Exposition). You will be amazed at what's available.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2006 11:34PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 07:53AM

Rodmaker has set a new standard in many ways. I think the validity of the information presented in it is much better than previous rod building publications. I also once thought that there was only so much in the way of rod building techniques that could be presented. In Rodmaker I've seen new ideas and topics that have never been covered elsewhere. It's this thinking outside the box that I like about Rodmaker. The new column by Mr. Bullard will be another welcome addition just as the grip templates have been. I'm building quite a library now.

Your note on the exposition is on the money. Darndest thing I've ever attended.Had you asked me ten years ago if rod building would ever have anything like it I would have given you a resounding NO. Now it's a reality.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2006 07:57AM by Rob Hale.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 08:12AM

It's rare that an operation that really doesn't have any real competition would continue to keep improving. Rodmaker is unique. Wish somebody could convince the cable companies to operate the same way!

It would be great if some of the old timers like Gene could be convinced to attend the rod building exposition next February. Any chance?

Posted by: Vic Cutter (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 03:50PM

Tom

Good job! I think everyone will not only enjoy Gene's perspective but will gain not only lots of information about the past but a continuing creative and entrepreneurial spirit. You've pulled off quite a coup, considering everyone thought Gene Bullard had moved on to greener pastures.

Vic Cutter

Date: May 28, 2006 05:09PM

I'm simply grateful that Gene agreed to do this - I can't really think of anyone else who would be nearly as qualified to write it.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 08:07AM

Tom.You never sieze to amaze with your ideas and the ability to bring them to life.We need to set aside a day to honor you!!!!Maybe some date in Feb.??? Sort of like A NATIONAL ROD BUILDERS DAY.We would all take The day off and travel to High Point NC for a large gathering to show our apprietation for you dedication and hard work.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: May 30, 2006 07:38AM

Once you send your money in for a subscription, I owe YOU. So I'm just doing my job. That's all.

But you're welcome to come to High Point for a day or two anyway... Let's try the 17th and 18th of February.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2006 07:47AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: May 30, 2006 07:47AM

True but here's the thing, The Rodcrafter Journal was already in existance. When you started Rodmaker it took rod building publications to an entirely new and much higher level that was previously unheard of. Same with this website. Plenty of other rod building websites were already around but this one introduced new features and usability that were previously unheard of in rod building. It set a new and higher standard. Same with rod building seminars and conclaves and the like. They already existed but when you held the first National Rod Builders Show it was on a totally new and much higher level as well.

You have raised the bar for quality and information so much higher than it ever was before. I think these things are part of the reason that the rod building information exchange has seen such a sudden leap in the past ten years. A totally new standard has been set and you are the one that set it.

Date: May 30, 2006 09:48AM

Again it comes down to the same thing - once you pay me then it is my job to deliver. I believe in doing a good job.

This website is a bit different as you don't pay to use or access any of its features. But the sponsors do pay me so they deserve a quality experience here. You reap the benefits which they pay to provide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster