I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem with New Concept set up
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2006 02:33PM

I have not ran into this before. I'm building a GUSA 702 spinning rod. I've got the seat on temporarily with the reel. Set it up on the table, get my intersect point and place my smallest guide so that the outter part of the ring is even with the edge of the table. No problems there. When I go to place my butt guide....boom! Problem! Going by the primer in the library section I choose a #25 SiC Concept guide because my spool diameter is 46.65mm. I place the guide even with the edge of the table and it ends up being only 13 inches from the spool face. To me that seems really close and even the primer says it should be around 17 inches on a little more. I wouldn't think I'd need to go down to a #20. I figured that would be too small. Anybody got some suggestions? I could always set it up like that and see what happens, which I will, but I was wanting to know if anybody else had some ideas on this.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with New Concept set up
Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.z210-3-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 26, 2006 02:42PM

use a lower 25 guide. You don't have to use the high concept guides.

Date: May 26, 2006 02:46PM

Duh! It didn't even cross my mind to use the lower frames! Thanks Josh!

Date: May 26, 2006 03:10PM

Is there any specific information out there for the guide heights of fuji guides? I don't have a low frame in front of me but if I had the height I could still use that compared to the SiC Concept guide I do have and then know what I need to order.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2006 03:17PM

Try Mudhole's catalog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2006 03:18PM by Jim Upton.

Date: May 26, 2006 03:39PM

Didn't see anything like that Jim. I didn't even see it on the Angler's Resource site.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2006 04:12PM

Right, either a lower 25 or a higher 20. Unless you're going to use more than about 10 lb test, a high frame 20 is most likely okay. I'd try it both ways and use whichever works best for you.

Date: May 26, 2006 04:29PM

Tom,
You don't think a 20 would be too small for that spool diameter?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2006 04:41PM

Not necessarily. Really depends on the line diameter and type more than the spool - the spool diameter thing is just a general guide line; a good starting place but not absolutely written in stone. If you're running smaller, thinner line, or braid, then a 20 may easily be enough.

One way to know for sure - rig up both set ups and go out and cast them.

Date: May 26, 2006 04:50PM

Ok. I'll try that 20 and see how it goes.

Thanks to all,
Steve

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 26, 2006 05:32PM

Steve:
I use a lot of 20's with out any problems. I have both of Fugi's complete catalogs and the only heights given are for snake guides and Models ICMNS,MNSG,BMANG, If you need the dimensions for any of those post which ones' and I will post them

Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.139.255.206.cable.pnbl.cablelynx.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 02:52AM

A lot of people are raving about Fuji's "Lowrider" guides for spinning rods and the biggest it comes in is a 20. I put a 20 as the collector guide on a Breakaway 123LDFC and with braid it works fine for both spinning reels and a 525 Mag. A high frame 20 should work on your setup.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 28, 2006 07:28AM

FUJI Ring HEIGHTS can be found at:
[www.fujitackle.com]

FUJI Ring SIZE (OD-ID) Chart is available at:
[www.anglersresource.net]

Happy Memorial Day, most especially to our Veterans.
We are FREE because you are BRAVE !
THANK YOU, -Cliff Hall+++, USA*****

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.193.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 07:34AM

I do my line path so the line goes inside the rings of the guides. My thinking is gravity pulls the line down so this give me more line in the ring, instead of sliding on the edge of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster