I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
$5 blanks?
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: May 24, 2006 05:04AM

Anyone used one the $5 blanks from one of our sponsors on the left?
I've got 2 and I'm impressed.
If you'd rather email me "off forum" then leave your email address on the post

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: $5 blanks?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 05:11AM

Your e-mail address is tagged to your name.

If you're impressed then you don't need anyone else to validate what you already decided for yourself.

I've found good blanks at very low prices but never great blanks at very low prices.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 06:08AM

Who is the sponsor?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 07:38AM

Why buy the blank for $5 when you can go to discount stores and buy the completed rod for $ 19.95. You will end up with the same thing coming from another direction and save a lot of time! As the old folks say "You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas66.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 07:55AM

Bill
You really think they are that bad ?? Some posts here say they ain't that bad. Whatever that is worth ??
The graphite should be kind of like a IM 6 no ?? I am looking at the 14 dollar ones.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.212.121.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2006 08:03AM

Don't know if he's referring to ours, but we've been selling some for years. We have sold thousands and customers tell us they love them, follow this link:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas66.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 08:21AM

MudHole
How would you rate the graphite content on them

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 24, 2006 09:26AM

I personally dont think that a 2003 Forcast Blank is all that bad. And you can get them for about $5 to $10 at a few different spots on the forum here. I also think that for builders just getting started in the craft...it's a great way to get some decent blanks and practice your thread wraps and handle designs. Also, there are times when you get a customer who simply wants a $100 rod. If thats the cast...I take a $ten dollar blank, put a nice handle on it...do a fancy 2 hour thread wrap...slap some finish on it and I'm done.

Evidently those that say "go to Mega Mart and buy $20 finished rods since their the same thing", actually think that new builders should do this and simply skip learning the art of building one yourself altogether? There are hobby builders who build on the 03 forcasts and are quite satisfied with the way they fish. Sure they arent a Loomis IMX or a Croix SCV...but they are certainly better than the 20 dollar rods at the Mega store. I dont think the feeling any of us experienced when we caught our first fish on a rod we built would of been anyless had we used a $5 blank instead of a $50 blank...would it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2006 09:28AM by Jeff Harding.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 24, 2006 09:35AM

Jeff - where can you get a 2003 Forecast for $5 or less? I can find them for about 10-20 dollars. I've built a couple rods on the 2003 forecast, and it makes a very nice rod for those who like a more moderate action. For many panfishing applications (I'm primarily a panfisherman), they make a phenomenal rod, the actions are well suited for crappies, gills, and perch. Inexpensive does not necessarily mean cheap, and high dollar does not always equal better performance. I build custom golf clubs as well, and cannot convince people that the $1200 dollar Calloway irons are garbage compared to the set I can build for 1/4 the cost.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 24, 2006 09:50AM

Rich, check out Neals site. you can get a whole kit for about 25 to 30 bucks, or you can buy 4 03 forcasts for $39. I bought about a dozen of them and only one had a small blem that I found...when finished it was not noticable. I use these blanks when teaching someone to build a first rod, or if I'm going to donate a rod for a charity...If you spend some time on a nice thread wrap and build a really nice custom handle...you can have a pretty decked out rod that looks and fishes awesome for under $50 in materials.

I'm sure there are other sponsors that have a blank suitable for this type of build if you check around.

I agree that for Ultra Light, Light, and Med. Light applications the 03 forcast is a very good inexpensive route to go. Especially for the beginner or Intermediate builder or the finicky customer hung up on price. Alot of guys want something better than Wally worlds offerings but arent ready to take that $400 leap.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.190.---)
Date: May 24, 2006 10:41AM

When I first started building rods I started with the $14.99 Glossy blanks from Mudhole, figuring that I would probably mess up a few. I was very surprised to see how nicely they built out. I have sold maybe a dozen of them now, and people really like them. Some of my customers are "real" fishermen, and want a certain action, handle, etc. Others' main concern is that the wraps be their college colors, or have a special message for Father's Day, whatever. These are valid customers, too. A rod made from this type blank sells for less, and still gives the customer good value.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 24, 2006 11:11AM

I build rods for my son on the forecast blanks....they are nice rods and if he breaks it by accident it isn't the end of the world. 20 years ago these would have been Mid to upper quality graphite....how much has fishing changed since then? I often fish them.....they are sweet I do confess I like the 2005's better than the 2003 but both are a great value.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 05:39PM

Bill Steven's:
When I walked into the rod builders show for the first time this year. I saw what looked like a thousand builders go though Andy Dear's both in a matter of hours and buy $6.00 to $10.00 blanks .
I did not know all those builders should have went to Wal-Mart’s instead. A couple of those blanks have turned out to be some of the best rods I've built as far as feel and weight go. Guess next year I'll just go to Wal-Mart’s and save all that work.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 07:17PM

The Mudhole blanks make very nice rods for kids, guests. The unsanded ones are quite tough because of their extra wall thickness. I have also cut a few up for repairs and to make extenisons on other rods. I have even given a way a few blanks away as gifts for those that want to practice the art of rod building. IMHO they have their uses...

Steve G. - there is nothing wrong with buying a rod off the shelf. I did so and a couple years ago bought a nice Abu Garica rod that I could never buy the parts to make cheaper than the whole cost me - even at the wholesale level. The cork is not high quality, the reel seat is unbranded, guides are cheap imports. But I did my best to select the best rod of the bunch by finding the one that was spined correctly and had the best finish job of them all. The thing casts and feels great, and the fish do not seem to care.

Lou

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 07:29PM

Sorry, I guess my choice of words was rather poor. I build rods primarily for sale and not for personal use. I really believe that the quality of custom rods is diminished by poor quality blanks from any source. I have a hard time equating a blem, second, crooked, heavy and yes sometimes deeply discounted imported blank to a top line builders quality blank. Anyone can chase the supply of products which are price driven to the point that quality is diminished. The guys at Mudhole know full will the difference between a blanks that they can sell profitably for $ 10 and a premium blank that sells for a much higher price. When you also take into consideration discontinued lines you may really find an exceptional value from time to time. The overstocks and liquidations sales are not my primary concern.

I hope that we as builders do not impact the supply of really quality blanks by our increased use of lower cost products to build quality custom rods. If we all used the lower cost blanks there would be no need for the premium ones at all. There has to be a happy mix of available blanks for everyone to get the quality they want. Andy Dear used his head and found someone with an overstock of blanks and took advantage of the business opportunity. The initial post that started this thread made the simple statement that he was impressed with a $ 5 blank. Does this mean that he would choose this blank over others? I can understand building for practice, fun, self or close friends but I have a hard time utilizing this type of blank for a customer who is paying $ 150 or more for a finished rod. I have built quite a few rods and honestly can not really tell the difference in many blanks that I use. I can not look at a blank and tell you type of material or modulus or even what type of layup procedure was used. I want them straight, tough, lightweight, consistant taper and action, properly rated, well finished and built by a trustworthy manufacturer who knows what they are doing and will be available to stand behind their product for rating and warranty purposes. I am willing to pay a price for the quality standards that I can not visually determine. I think my customers deserve the quality blank that fits the cost and sale price profile.

Gon Fishn

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: May 25, 2006 01:54AM

If a customer wants me to build to a price-point I'll generally use smoething like Andy's less-expensive blanks. Remember, as he plainly says, they are older or discontinued models. Same thing if the customer doesn't specify a brand name blank. OK, the $5 blanks aren't warranteed. I haven't had one break yet so that's not an issue. OK, they are not the newest, hottest thing in technological terms. But last year, or two or three years ago, they were. Why are they not just as good now? I, for one, think they are and given my customer's satisfaction with my rods so far, that's sort of a rhetorical question.

If a blank has a true spine and the action I'm after when I select it I can then meet my customer's requirements. I don't buy sight-unseen. I have no argument with Bill's thoughts at all but the market determines what I select as the basis for my customer's rods. I use the best I can get for his money. Bill's right - I won't maximize profit by using cheaper blanks, even though the customer might never know. I'll know, though. I respect my cutomers too much to do otherwise. And that's really what distinguishes all of us here, from the Wal-Mart or Dick's Sports folks.

If a customer wants a specific brand of blank I'll happily obtain one for him but I have to price accordingly. Currently it seems the only thing really acceptable to the "bass guys" is Loomis. Next year it'll be something else, and it's generally not optional. So be it. Interestingly, these guys are paying literally hundreds of dollars - lots of hundreds, sometimes - for the off-the-shelf brand name stuff and then they come to me unhappy with the action or the weight or some other feature and want me to rebuild it to match what they wanted it to be. You have to understand that amongst that group the label on the rod is as important as anything else about the rod. Remember when they wouldn't be caught dead in anything but a Ranger boat? Or a Bass Tracker? Well, now it's Triton or nothing.

For myself? I build to meet my need, without regard to the label. The only labels on most of my rods is "Made By Calico Creek Rods", and "Made For (fill in the blank)".

Didn't mean to get on the soapbox Sorry.
Uncle Russ

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 25, 2006 07:09AM

Bill Steven's:
Now that post makes sense

Lou Reyna
I never implied these was anything wrong with off the shelf rods. I own a few in actions I was not able to find in other blanks. Also have taken some and remade them for the same reason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2006 07:13AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 25, 2006 07:28AM

Well said Bill.

I have a bunch of those $5 unsanded specials. I won't build a rod on them for anyone but myself, even a kid rod, just because I know nothing about them so I can't really stand behind them. Besides, they are a bit piggy. That's just me though. But the ones I made for myself are great beater rods. They fish decently and are perfect for leaving in the car trunk for those impromptu fishing stops, where they get beat up, have groceries and stuff thrown on them and such. When I actually load up to "go fishing", these rods don't get used. But for me, they do have a purpose. The blanks also come in handy when I want an extension or a shim.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 25, 2006 11:04AM

Bill,

I understand where your coming from but don't agree on principle that because a blank is more expensive it is better, or a better choice for a customer.

R L Winston' WT series is considered by many to be a very high quality rod....it is an IM6 blank. I found the blank on a website for $273.00. I love the action of this rod....my favorite Winston! But I personally feel I get pretty much the same type of feel out of a Sevier Tiger Eye or Batson RX6 which are both IM6 and save 200.00 plus dollars per blank. Just because a blank is not marketed as the latest & greatest doesn't mean it isn't a worthy choice.

Blems are just that ...not to say you can't get value there.

Russ,

I disagree with your comment regarding Wal-Mart At least....I work for a vendor who does business with them. While they are not a top of the line supplier of most items they demand incredible value from their suppliers for their customers...they have the lowest prices. They don't claim to sell you the best fishing rod...they will sell you a good fishing rod for the best value anywhere. It seems to be working for them. Most of the people I work with internally with them are very honest honorable people. This may not be what folks want to beleive but it is true.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 26, 2006 09:59AM

First, please accept my apologies for my typos in my post above. It was late, I was tired, etc., etc. - - -

But I was re-reading what I wrote as a result of Joe's comment, and I want to say that in no way did I mean to disparage Wal-Mart, it's people, or its products. I am a Wal-Mart supporter and am really concerned when I see people making them out to be the root of all manner of evils.

Actually, I was trying to make the distinction between the folks who sell you a rod there (if you ask for help) and the way we, as rod-builders, sell rods to our customers. Wal-Mart rods range from major brands to unknown stuff, and the prices are set accordingly. Value for the money? Absolutely. But in terms of the underlying quality of the blanks - which is what this thread was really all about - for the most part, they really don't know, other than that a brand like Shimanoo "must" be better than a no-name rod, or else they'll tell you which is their favorite, maybe from personal experience, but that's not the kind of opinion we're talking about here, either. I guess the difference is the expertise that would justify someone spending money for a custom rod. On the other hand, they stand behind the products, regardless; and they do indeed occasionally have someone working who really does know his stuff.

But I disagree with Mick about using a $5 only as a personal "beater" in that, if it's good enough for me, then it has a place in my market too. It enables me to build an inexpensive rod that indeed competes with the Wal-Mart price/value equation - say, in the $85-$95 class. I avoid the breakage problem by hand-picking my blanks and then stressing them before I build, and afterwards. If it breaks, then I won't sell it, so I won't buy from that stock again. I think that's called testing-to-failure but I'm nowhere near technical enough to get into that.

Remember the Lamiglas blanks back in the late 70's and early 80's that blew up just because it was daylight on the river? And some of the exotic materials that cracked, chipped, or peeled on the first cast? Well, even most of the "cheap" stuff now is way better than that. And as Joe said, blems are just that, but then, I wouldn't produce a customer rod on one anyway.

We've actually found some inexpensive rods that make good rebuilds - Contour is one of the brands sold round here. We've seen them break near the tip, but then been able to rebuild them as a heavier stick, such as a striper rod, albeit minus a few inches. But the cost of around $40 allows us to keep the handles, reel-seats, and foregrip and just strip the rest of the blank and reinstall the guides and tip on-spine, with a nice finish. We can do it just as nicely on one that hasn't broken, as well. Would I resell it? No, but I'll do it as a repair/rebuild and the customers seem to like the idea of a "semi-custom" rod.

I guess I'm just saying there's a definite market for rods built on $5 (or $10, or $20) blanks and I'm not afraid to build and support a product line based on them. Remember when Cabela's was selling the green "Fish Eagle" blanks last year for $19.99-$29.99? We've built good rods on those blanks, for some very satisfied customers. It's allowed us to reach a market we otherwise would have to skip over. (OK, that's bad English, but it makes the point).

Uncle Russ

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster