I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What Camera ?
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 07:10PM

HI GUYS,
I see some very good photos posted. I was wondering what camera are you guys using ?

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Camera ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2006 07:39PM

Keep in mind that for taking photos to be used on the internet or for transmission by email, you don't need much. The internet is a low resolution medium. The best photo in the world, at the highest resolution and largest size is still going to be shown at just 72 dpi and in low resolution fashion when posted on the web.

But, you'll do yourself a favor to get something that is capable of at least 3 to 4 megapixels which will allow you to print good 4 x 6 or even 5 x 8 inch prints if you wish. A macro feature is nice since you'll need to get up close if you want to show off your rod work.

Now that's the basic point and shoot consumer camera. If you have the money and want something more, I'd look at a digital SLR like the Canon Digital Rebel with a fixed 50mm macro lens. It will do anything and everything you'd ever need to do with rods and you could even print 11 x 14 inch prints at high resolution.

Far and away the most important thing is to learn to use whatever camera you buy. Learn the relationship between aperature and shutter speed, depth of field and lighting, and you can take great photos with just a so-so camera.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 07:54PM

David, a friend of mine showed me his Sony Cybershot DSC-W5 5.1 MP 3X zoom. I had to get one too. It has an excellent "consumer rating" . A bit tough eating $300 and I'm sure you could get away with a great quality camera for alot less depending on what you need it for and the use you'd get out of it.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 08:15PM

myself bought a nikon coolpix great camera not the most advanced out there but is a good one.. i also was in the 300.00 area with everything else battery charger memory card case it was close to 450.00... what i did i have a local camera shop and sat there and played with many cameras if thats what you can do at a local camera shop id encourage it. tell them what you wanna do with it and im shure they can hook you up my camera was very versatile i take it fishing do my rods its and everything else .. 7.1 meg but you will only need the high meg if blowing up pics you should get alot of responses about this..... the guys here on the board helped me out quit a bit................tight wraps......Rob

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 09:42PM

I have the Nikon coolpix 5700 and love it. Not a pocket camera and not as bulky as an SLR. The downside to an SLR is no digital zoom so you are forced to having to change lenses to get long zooms. (my wife has one) I think one key feathure is a hot shoe. This will allow you to attach a good Flash, which really enhances you photo capabilities. Rod photos with back lighting or bounce flashes are exceptional.

Posted by: Robert Robertson (---.248.40.69.ip.alltel.net)

David,

If you are simply looking to take pix for the web, you can get by with a really basic camera. I'd go to @#$%& and look for a never-been-used camera with less than 3 megapixel resolution. Those cameras are probably a couple of years old (but you can still find them new and in the box), but are capable of taking a picture that is better than most people's video displays on their computers. It looks like they sell for less than $50!

Kirkman's earlier post is all you need to know. It really does depend on what your intended purpose is. And-- lighting is the key, no matter what you are shooting with.

-Rob

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)

I second Tom's suggestion of the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I just bought one a couple of months ago and it is an awesome camera. But as most professional photographers say "Cameras don't make great shots....lenses do". Spend some money on good lenses. If your just doing shots for the web I wouldn't invest as much. If you plan on doing more than that, spend the money on a good camera and lens. Some that come to mind are the Canon as mentioned before and the Nikon D cameras. Both are great camers.

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 10:54PM

I'm using my Canon 20D and I'm very happy with the results it produces. But like already said above, optics are making the pics, camera will just take it....

br, Antti
[www.hullukala.com]

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 04:05AM

I just bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1 and I love it! First thing I did with it was take photos of my rods and my thread work. The close-up (macro) photos came out better then I could have ever imagined. I took it fishing today and took pictures of everything from the fish I caught, to a snake that crawled between my feet while I was watering a tree, to a close up on a small colorful bug that was crawling on my hand. I just love everything about it. Best camera I have ever owned.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: May 24, 2006 10:53AM

I use a Konica-Minolta Z5. It has a macro mode and a super-macro mode. It will focus as close 1 inch and also has anti-shake circuitry in it. It also has a custom white-balance setting so I can shoot in any sort of light and make it look correct. I wanted a Nikon D50, but this was a lot cheaper and takes excellent photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2006 10:54AM by Gerry Rhoades.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 25, 2006 07:16AM

I use a Sony DSC P93. Great photos and I still don't know how to use all the features of it. It replaced my Kodak DC210, which isn't bad at all for a basic camera. The kodak is just hit and miss with macro and the lighting has to be absolutely perfect. To get one decent rod pic, I'd have to take dozens of shots with the kodak. With the Sony, I can get what I want with two or three.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster